September 27, 2017, 03:22:30 AM

Author Topic: What are some things you happily overpaid for.  (Read 3138 times)

Offline gidget

• Super Waygook
Re: What are some things you happily overpaid for.
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »
I'm going to buy a new epilator. This time, Emjoi AP-18 here I come! Shipping and customs here I come!

Most expensive purchase - again - but hopefully it'll make it through customs safely.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2017, 02:44:42 PM »
Rain boots for that puddle you'll never have to walk through on a sprinkly day. Snow boots for the winter storm you'll never have to trudge through. A thousand-dollar goose down coat for the bitter-cold winter mountain that you'll never climb. The Lamborghini whose engine you throttle at the stoplights.

I'm not sure if they overpaid, but there are some who happily waste their money. (from a practical standpoint)

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2017, 02:53:20 PM »
Rain boots for that puddle you'll never have to walk through on a sprinkly day. Snow boots for the winter storm you'll never have to trudge through. A thousand-dollar goose down coat for the bitter-cold winter mountain that you'll never climb. The Lamborghini whose engine you throttle at the stoplights.

I'm not sure if they overpaid, but there are some who happily waste their money. (from a practical standpoint)

This made me laugh because a Lamborghini passed me the other day and got up to about 80 before he had to slow down again. Then I just passed him again and kept going (because of traffic, but still).

Offline steviegerro

• Veteran
  • Don't Look Back in Anger
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2017, 02:58:36 PM »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned antiperspirant yet. I prefer the spray bottles and they are about 13,000 won each.

Couldn't function without one in this heat!

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2017, 03:35:32 PM »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned antiperspirant yet. I prefer the spray bottles and they are about 13,000 won each.

Right, it's also those sprays you'd never touch in England.  Axe?  Ooops, Lynx, sorry....  There is no Lynx effect here. 

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2017, 04:41:21 PM »
This made me laugh because a Lamborghini passed me the other day and got up to about 80 before he had to slow down again. Then I just passed him again and kept going (because of traffic, but still).

I'm nothing of a gearhead (I haven't owned a car since I was 16) but Lamborghinis -- in real life, up close -- are something to behold. They are beautiful machines; this is just not their natural habitat.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 05:01:01 PM by donovan »

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2017, 04:56:07 PM »

I'm nothing of a gearhead (I haven't owned a car since I was 16) but Lamborghini's -- in real life, up close -- are something to behold. They are beautiful machines; this is just not their natural habitat.

That is exactly why I let out a laugh. I guess it doesn't much matter, but I agree that this isn't its habitat. It is just like living in the city, I wouldn't buy a raised F350 4x4. It just doesn't belong...

Offline theman3285

• Adventurer
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2017, 05:18:46 PM »

Right, it's also those sprays you'd never touch in England.  Axe?  Ooops, Lynx, sorry....  There is no Lynx effect here.

I'm glad this was mentioned. I've finally run out of the mammoth supply I brought over from home.

Any idea where I could find one? I've already checked the local mart. They had a can or two for ladies, but nothing for men.

Offline donuts81

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2017, 07:25:53 PM »
Good beer. The increased selection at the larger retailers and the marts that have started carrying The Booth beers is nice. The 국민 IPA being one of my favorite Korean beers atm....Though The Booth sells a rather tasty Rye IPA in their location in Kyoungridan which is pretty good (but for 8 or 9k a pint).

The 4 for 10 at all the marts are starting to taste just as bad as Cass and Hite.

Yeah, good beer for me too. I bought 2 growlers from The Booth brewery in Pangyo because one just wasn't enough. I keep waiting for them to catch onto the fact that buying in quantity is supposed to get a discount but I won't hold my breath.

I also happily overpay for single malt and taxis. Not related.
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2017, 07:38:21 PM »
Bell's Oberon or Two-Hearted or Hop Slam
Third Coast
Magic Hat #9
Pacifico (Yes, its trash but its good trash)
Old Style
Steel Reserve
Cube of Red Dog

Started out at the top shelf and moved over to the brown bag

Offline KoreaBoo

• Super Waygook
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2017, 08:22:59 PM »
12.9" iPad Pro (256GB model) - 2017

The thing is literally glorious to use....

:D

Offline eastreef

• Super Waygook
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2017, 01:20:06 AM »
When I was teaching in Korea I used a legitimate agent to buy a ticket -- face value + commission -- to see the Rolling Stones in Tokyo (2014).  I wanted and paid for convenience, and my room at the Tokyo Dome hotel had a great view of the Dome where the Stones were playing.  Mick Taylor joined them for a few songs….

After the concert I warmed what turned out to be a good seat at a bar in the Dome hotel and ordered a Montecristo Edmundo from the bar’s cigar menu; not the cheapest way to smoke a cigar – around 4000 Yen.  I did “conserve” some money by taking advantage – more than once – of the bar’s Rolling Stones drink special of one finger of 10 year old Laphroaig for around 1200 Yen/finger. 

Some good people showed up and partied, including an in her prime (mature) American business woman – she smoked an H. Upmann -- who bought a round for those of us who were strategically located.  She said it could be “expensed.” There were also some low level roadies, but nobody “really connected” to the Stones.

Yes, I overpaid.  But, at the end -- and still today -- I was very happy that I had…...
“All of this has happened before, and will happen again.”

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2017, 01:57:46 AM »
When I was teaching in Korea I used a legitimate agent to buy a ticket -- face value + commission -- to see the Rolling Stones in Tokyo (2014).  I wanted and paid for convenience, and my room at the Tokyo Dome hotel had a great view of the Dome where the Stones were playing. Mick Taylor joined them for a few songs….
Mick Taylor................

The Best Stones Song and Mick at his best (and Keith, obv)

Stones > Beatles

Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2017, 09:24:34 AM »

Was this in Noksapyeong?

Had the same thing happen to me. xD The Lamborghini was black.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2017, 10:32:08 AM »
Bell's Oberon or Two-Hearted or Hop Slam

Where do you find said Bell's? And just how much do you happily overpay?

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2017, 10:39:33 AM »

Was this in Noksapyeong?

Had the same thing happen to me. xD The Lamborghini was black.

Nah, this was heading home from work. I had to swing by another area and was heading From Seoul to the Olympic Expessway to eventually get on the Suseo IC. It was a bright lime green one, hahaha.

Offline gideonvasquez

• Super Waygook
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2017, 11:37:45 AM »
Cheese and bread.

Cheese because they don't have any quality domestic products I could find.

Bread because I can, and do, make it myself for a fraction of the cost but sometimes don't want to spend an hour and a half waiting for my dough to rise.

Most other instances of overpaying I'm not happy about.

Offline eastreef

• Super Waygook
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2017, 02:20:42 PM »
When I was teaching in Korea I used a legitimate agent to buy a ticket -- face value + commission -- to see the Rolling Stones in Tokyo (2014).  I wanted and paid for convenience, and my room at the Tokyo Dome hotel had a great view of the Dome where the Stones were playing. Mick Taylor joined them for a few songs….
Mick Taylor................

The Best Stones Song and Mick at his best (and Keith, obv)

Stones > Beatles

Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out’  is probably one of my two favorite live albums – ‘At Fillmore East’ by the Allman Brothers Band being the other live album.  Further, ‘Sticky Fingers’ is probably my favorite Stones album; on which Mick Taylor had a great influence – 'Sway,’  ‘Can’t You Hear Me Knocking,’ ‘Dead Flowers’….

https://www.iorr.org/tour14/tokyo1.htm

This link has the set list – including the songs that Mick Taylor Played on -- from the Tokyo concert and pictures.   This tour was also the last for Bobby Keys; as his last concert with the Stones was in July and he passed in December 2014.
“All of this has happened before, and will happen again.”

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2017, 03:08:54 PM »
Indian Hot mango chutney - 11 000 won.  I happily overpaid for that.  Great on chilli as well as curries.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2017, 03:25:51 PM »

i have a pair of rain boots  :blank: but after going to Ansan Valley Mudfest in 2013 i vowed i'd never go to another music festival in korea in the summer without a pair. and my 'rain boots' are actually just a pair of rubber boots i bought for like 10,000 from the shijang in my town.

i also have a pair of snow boots  :blank: admittedly i rarely use them but on the odd day that it does snow a lot they can really save your ass. the grip is great for walking on ice and they stop your feet from getting wet.

still working on the goose down coat and lambhorgini  :P

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment