September 25, 2017, 05:01:32 PM

Author Topic: Anyone else work for VIPKID on waygook?  (Read 3323 times)

Offline cdumas1993

• Waygookin - I can PM now!
Re: Anyone else work for VIPKID on waygook?
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2017, 01:37:30 PM »
I'm moving back to the US this August and I'm hoping to get a job with VIPKID to make some income while I settle back into life back home. My one concern is that I have braces and I'm wondering if this will hurt my chances of getting a job? This might sound strange, but it is definitely a concern I have. I am confident in my teaching abilities and I know I can do a job like this very well. Do you think having braces would hurt my chances of getting a job like this?

Thanks!

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 10:09:12 AM »
I looked into VIP kid before -- it seemed like the only people saying nice things about it are people that are looking to get referral bonuses like the creator of this thread. This reads too much like an advertisement.

It doesn't pay you much and they're very strict about what you teach and how you teach it. Seemed more trouble than it was worth.

Offline jeremyheynen

• Adventurer
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 11:30:32 AM »
I interviewed with them a few months back.  I am currently working with another company called DaDaABC which I am enjoying.  I thought I would try to have two of these jobs going spaced out over the week so that when I move back home in 8 months I wouldn't have all of the eggs in one basket so to speak.  Anyway, HAHAHA  I interviewed with them, did a demo class and then quit half way through the feedback stage from my demo.  They want a lot of TPR in their classrooms, a lot of props, and for you to invest in a great exciting background before you even get a contract.  Furthermore, this was not laid out clearly in the information they give you for your preparation for the demo class.  They offered me a low wage, even after I told them what I am currently making with another company.  I wouldn't work for them.  The other company that I am already working for seems to be moving in the same direction, but so far I have loved working with them.  They are always hiring so PM me if you want more info on the matter.

Offline nermal

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2017, 12:03:15 PM »
I've been working for them for a few months now. I'm back in school so this job is ideal for me. I work a few hours in the morning (6-10), go to class, then have my evenings and weekends free for studying and life. Would I have done this while in Korea? No, but I just like my evenings free. It's not necessarily a high wage compared to what some of you are making. But I'm also free to take time off whenever the hell I feel like it. The job is cake. I wake up, roll out of bed, comb my hair, get my coffee, and teach. I took a couple hours to throw together an educational backdrop and rewards system. I get updated daily with how much money I've made this month, so if I've been making enough to cover the bills, I give myself a few extra days off at the end of the month. So yeah, it's a good temporary job.
I havent been here in a while. I was just wondering who else was working with them.

Offline Moonlight03

• Explorer
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2017, 01:40:12 PM »
Article 17 (Codes of conduct)
Section 4 - "the employee shall not engage in any other employment (including any part-time, private or self-employment, or online instruction) during the term of employment."

Article 18 (Termination of the contract) "The employer may legally terminate or cancel this Contract upon occurence of any one or more of the following events:
Section 5 - Employee engages in any other employment (including any part-time, private or self-employment, or online instruction) during the term of employment."

Of course it's a job. if you get money for it, then it's a job, and a direct violation of the contract.

Not only that but you are liable for taxes on that income in korea as a resident of korea. as a resident of korea your worldwide income is taxable. Why do you think you need a business registration number in order to withdraw money from a Paypal account into a korean bank account? so they can keep track of things for tax purposes.

if you didn't declare this income to the NTS in korea during your last year-end tax settlement then you are guilty of tax evasion.

So if we went home during our break, made some cash in America, that's taxable in Korea? No, it's not...you should edit your comment. You are going to confuse others. I think you mean citizen. We are not citizens of Korea, tax rules are different. That is why we can get two years of tax free (American citizens) if we choose to do it.

We are guests here for as long as our visas are valid. We are not technically residents of Korea, because most of us when working for public schools get a residency excepts when start working for our public schools.

Most of these companies require a USA bank account.

Last time I checked, it was really hard for foreigners to get a Pay Pal account for their Korean bank account.

So if someone starts putting money into your USA bank account while you are living overseas through whatever channels, you don't have to report it to the Korean government for tax purposes.  Basically as long as the money doesn't come into your Korean bank account, you are okay. Otherwise, keep it back home and pay taxes on it in the USA.

I wouldn't risk my current job and do this at all right now. No thank you.

If OP does send money to herself in Korea, it could cause issues.

If the company was Korean it would cause a huge amount of trouble for OP.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2017, 04:06:20 PM »
i'm sorry Moonlight but you are mistaken. there is nothing in my post to confuse other people, as what i said is 100% accurate.

we ARE residents of korea. if you are here on a 1 year work contract, you are defined as a resident.

the tax situation has nothing to do with what bank account the money is paid into, and everything to do with which country you are defined as tax resident of. and we are defined as tax residents of korea, and according to korean law worldwide income is taxable in korea if you are a resident of korea.

So if someone starts putting money into your USA bank account while you are living overseas through whatever channels, you don't have to report it to the Korean government for tax purposes.

this is the very definition of tax evasion.

yes, you DO have to report it.

i'm afraid that yourself and many people doing online tutoring in korea are very sorely mistaken when it comes to the tax situation, and things have the potential to end disastrously for people. deportation and bans on re-entering korea, millions of Won and/or Dollars in fines for tax evasion, even potential jail time ....

unfortunately you cannot just go to any country in the world and do whatever you like, especially when you are a foreign resident of that country there on a work visa.

i would highly encourage you and others to read this page from KPMG, which explains the tax situation for people living in korea.

Residents

In case of residents, salaries received outside of Korea as well as those received within Korea will be taxed in Korea.

and how is a resident defined?

For income tax purposes, a resident is an individual who is domiciled or resident in Korea for one year or more. Thus, an individual will be deemed a resident if his/her occupation requires him/her to reside in Korea for one year or more, or if it appears that residence is his/her intent in view of his/her family, financial, and occupational status in Korea.

https://home.kpmg.com/xx/en/home/insights/2011/12/korea-income-tax.html#03
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:12:58 PM by kobayashi »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2017, 04:25:27 PM »
Kobayashi is just pointing out what presumably all of our contracts explicitly state. 

I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from, other than people trying to justify their actions or seeking loopholes.  Everyone can do what they please in the end, but that doesn't mean it's technically legal. 

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2017, 06:00:10 PM »
ps for the mods: i'm posting from home now so i'm using a VPN as i am understandably not comfortable having my home IP address visible to anyone on the internet.
This is maybe a little off topic, but I feel that this might be helpful for some users:

It's *incredibly* difficult to snatch a specific IP address from a public forum such as this one without first having been granted administrative access, so I wouldn't worry too much about any of your random posts being traced back to your IP address.

Also, since the Waygook server is hosted in Canada, it's very unlikely that Arsalan (owner/operator of this site) will ever be forced by a Korean subpoena to reveal your IP address.

Finally, the most likely way somebody *could* phish your location is through the use of personal messaging. As the only user to open a personal message page is the recipient of the message, it *is* possible to harvest an IP address from that page.  Every year or two, there's some random weirdo that spams death threats to a few dozen waygook users, and I figure that it's somebody looking to match users to their IP addresses. Don't open PMs without a VPN running.

Use a VPN for everything. It's just plain smart.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2017, 06:27:02 PM »
@kyndo thanks for the advice, your IP address is directly visible to ALL the mods on this site though. it's even visible to yourself, in the bottom right corner of your post.

i just don't want anyone at all knowing my home IP address. understandably. don't really care that much about my work one since it's a provincial- or at least city-wide school network, so more difficult to pinpoint exact location, but not so with home address.

i just mentioned that in a previous comment since people have gotten banned for using VPNs on here. someone made a thread about it a while back.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2017, 08:32:40 PM »
@kyndo thanks for the advice, your IP address is directly visible to ALL the mods on this site though. it's even visible to yourself, in the bottom right corner of your post.

i just don't want anyone at all knowing my home IP address. understandably. don't really care that much about my work one since it's a provincial- or at least city-wide school network, so more difficult to pinpoint exact location, but not so with home address.

i just mentioned that in a previous comment since people have gotten banned for using VPNs on here. someone made a thread about it a while back.
Yeah, like I said, those with administrative rights can grab IPs pretty easily.

People got banned for using  VPNs?  :huh:

I wonder if the mods suspected them of beings troll socks, and were hiding the fact with a VPN?

Might be worth taking the time to look at getting a static VPN -- I know that certain paid VPNs give you the option of choosing your proxy location.

Offline lesadenton

• Waygookin - I can PM now!
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 01:32:59 PM »
I worked for VIPKid for about 4 months before I moved to Korea. Literally, there was not 1 positive aspect in my opinion. The hours were horrible and I was working a full time job on top of that so it burned me out really quickly. They offer bonuses but many times find loopholes to not pay you for them. You basically have to keep bugging them until you get your money. There were at least 2 classes that I didn't get full pay for (keep in mind I only worked there for 4 months). But what really bothered me the most was the teaching materials for teachers and students. I'm almost sure they are still using 'TPR' incorrectly (argh).  Also, most of the lesson plans for students were just garbage (IMO). So, it wasn't worth it for me but if other people like the corporate bullshit and below par teaching then by all means. 

Offline kiwikimchi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2017, 03:04:03 PM »
i'm sorry Moonlight but you are mistaken. there is nothing in my post to confuse other people, as what i said is 100% accurate.

we ARE residents of korea. if you are here on a 1 year work contract, you are defined as a resident.

the tax situation has nothing to do with what bank account the money is paid into, and everything to do with which country you are defined as tax resident of. and we are defined as tax residents of korea, and according to korean law worldwide income is taxable in korea if you are a resident of korea.

So if someone starts putting money into your USA bank account while you are living overseas through whatever channels, you don't have to report it to the Korean government for tax purposes.

this is the very definition of tax evasion.

yes, you DO have to report it.

i'm afraid that yourself and many people doing online tutoring in korea are very sorely mistaken when it comes to the tax situation, and things have the potential to end disastrously for people. deportation and bans on re-entering korea, millions of Won and/or Dollars in fines for tax evasion, even potential jail time ....

unfortunately you cannot just go to any country in the world and do whatever you like, especially when you are a foreign resident of that country there on a work visa.

i would highly encourage you and others to read this page from KPMG, which explains the tax situation for people living in korea.

Residents

In case of residents, salaries received outside of Korea as well as those received within Korea will be taxed in Korea.

and how is a resident defined?

For income tax purposes, a resident is an individual who is domiciled or resident in Korea for one year or more. Thus, an individual will be deemed a resident if his/her occupation requires him/her to reside in Korea for one year or more, or if it appears that residence is his/her intent in view of his/her family, financial, and occupational status in Korea.

https://home.kpmg.com/xx/en/home/insights/2011/12/korea-income-tax.html#03

kobayashi what's you're problem?? What's the big deal with people doing it? There isn't. Who's it hurting? No one. You sound like the type of person that would report on waygookies doing a private lessons if you found out. Again who's that hurting?? I bet you get your jollies snooping around trying to find anyone doing onlines or privates.
You sound like a really punishing individual.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2017, 04:36:04 PM »
kobayashi what's you're problem?? What's the big deal with people doing it? There isn't. Who's it hurting? No one. You sound like the type of person that would report on waygookies doing a private lessons if you found out. Again who's that hurting?? I bet you get your jollies snooping around trying to find anyone doing onlines or privates.

I feel that Kobayashi is being emphatic about this so that people understand that online tutoring without reporting income is tax-evasion and can have severe consequences.

I know that a lot of us do private lessons, or do online tutoring, and the general consensus in the foreigner population is that it's an okay thing to do. However, this laissez-faire attitude towards it definitely gives many people -- especially newbies -- the impression that it's safe/legal/etc when really it isn't and people have been fined and deported for doing it. Threads like this do the same.

While I don't really care whether or not people tutor on the sly, I do think it's important that people are aware of the risks involved -- something Kobayashi has taken the time to do for us. Sounds more like a good guy than a punishing one to me!

Offline gagevt

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2017, 05:02:56 PM »
I feel like Kyndo is right on the money here. Although maybe kobayashi is just being argumentative, but it's still very important to understand the risks one takes when engaging in this type of work on the side, as well as the potential consequences. This is vehemently more important for new members of the site and new teachers in Korea.

Also kyndo is again correct about VPNs. I pay for one myself (mostly for accessing geo-blocked content) but don't always use it. The only real problem we have is when people use them to create sock accounts or ban-evade. VPNs themselves aren't the issue.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2017, 05:26:38 PM »

what's MY problem? i'm not the one with the problem mate. i'm not the one coming to a foreign country on a temporary work visa, and engaging in tax evasion - whether willful or unintentional - and contract violations while i'm living in said foreign country. those people are the ones with the (potential) problems.

Moonlight's post that i quoted earlier highlights precisely why i've been telling people what i have. there is so much ignorance about online tutoring, as well as teaching privates in korea.

if people want to knowingly break the law that's their deal, and they can suffer the consequences if/when they get caught. but they can't complain if they do get caught after someone has pointed out the laws to them.

and the taxman, in particular, don't mess around. what if you get found out for not reporting your taxes in korea correctly by trying to hide your online teaching income, and then later need a certificate of tax compliance from the National Tax Service in Korea for whatever reason (work visa for another country, IRS or whatever tax authority you have back home, etc?). you think that certificate is going to actually say that you were tax compliant? hell no.

or what if the tax authority in your home country finds out you have been hiding income or not filing your returns correctly (even if through sheer ignorance and/or genuine mistakes), and decides to audit you?

there can be big, and very real consequences. white collar crime is still a crime.

i think people like you and others are getting angry at me because you know i'm right. you know that there is no way you can legally do online tutoring on an E2 without engaging in tax evasion. even if you're on an F-visa the public school contracts forbid it, so if you work in a public school you would need to engage in tax evasion to hide that income from your school in case they found out and fired you.

and even if you are on an F-visa and don't work for public school, did you know that if you are part of the KTPF (Korea Teachers Pension Fund), they have a specific regulation banning any extra outside work besides your primary job? yeah, probably not.

i don't make the laws. i just point them out, so don't shoot the messenger. do some of the laws suck? most definitely. if people want to do extra work that the korean govt. can tax, why not let them?

but such is life. welcome to part of being a big boy.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
  • Today we are all root beer
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2017, 07:25:38 PM »
Who's it hurting?

The Korean tax authorities.

I've been seeing a lot of posts on the Facebook legal sites about people getting caught by immigration for illegal tutoring. Some get deported, some have to pay millions of won in fines.

Also immigration is just in the last few months refusing to renew E-2 visas for people whose pensions and taxes are not up to date. If you get caught doing illegal tutoring they're probably not going to renew your visa.

Yes law enforcement in South Korea can be a joke, but it's better not to do something as notoriously illegal as this unless it has been authorized by immigration and your Korean employer, and I'm not sure online tutoring like this could be.

Online metzy244

• Adventurer
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2017, 07:32:16 PM »
It's hilarious how some people throw such a fit over this while the world has real problems they can help.  Why don't you go volunteer or actually try to make a difference somewhere. 

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2017, 09:11:46 PM »
It's hilarious how some people throw such a fit over this while the world has real problems they can help.  Why don't you go volunteer or actually try to make a difference somewhere.
We're making a difference by helping innocent newbies not get deported, all in a 5 minute post. After we hit 'send', we change into our superhero outfits and zoom off to fight crime and stuff. Busybusybusy.

Online metzy244

• Adventurer
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2017, 12:02:44 AM »
We're making a difference by helping innocent newbies not get deported, all in a 5 minute post. After we hit 'send', we change into our superhero outfits and zoom off to fight crime and stuff. Busybusybusy.

Except you're not.  I know 4 EPIK teachers who've been here for years and also teach with VIPKID...and they're still here

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
  • Today we are all root beer
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2017, 12:23:41 AM »
It used to be that most but not all EPIK teachers would get to go home instead of deskwarm, then some people got cocky and started bragging about it and thinking they were invincible.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment