September 20, 2017, 08:03:23 PM

Author Topic: Anyone else work for VIPKID on waygook?  (Read 3102 times)

Offline gameofthronesgirl756

• Explorer
Anyone else work for VIPKID on waygook?
« on: July 07, 2017, 05:58:02 PM »
Hi! I work as a public school teacher here in Seoul, but I'm leaving Korea in August (been here 3 years). For the past 9 months I've also been an independent contractor with VIPKID online. I just wanted to start a vipkid thread! It's such a great company and I'm pretty sure there's a few of us here in Korea and also in China and waygooks in other countries that do VIPKID, but I don't see much discussion about it here on waygook. Who else does it? It would just be nice to have an open thread on waygook to talk about taxes when that comes around, working remotely while traveling, materials, that sort of thing.

If you're a teacher and you don't work for VIPKID yet and you're American or Canadian and are looking to make some extra money, find out more here! And let me know if you have any questions about signing up!

https://t.vipkid.com.cn/
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:55:05 PM by taeyang »

Offline wanderlust8

• Adventurer
Re: Anyone else work for VIPKID on waygook?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 06:01:21 PM »
I've been hearing a lot about them lately. I've been considering applying when I am done this contract (still have 8 months to go) since I have no clue what I'm going to do once I move back home.
Do teachers generally make enough to support themselves? Would there be enough left over to put towards student loans?

Offline Arabin

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 06:04:52 PM »
$7 per class? Count me out.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 06:06:37 PM »
This question makes it seem like VIPKID helps waygook function.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 06:07:27 PM »

If you're a teacher and you don't work for VIPKID yet and you're American or Canadian and are looking to make some extra money

Do they only hire Americans or Canadians?

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 06:14:25 PM »
A lot of teachers in America do it to supplement their normal income. Basically, they wake up early and teach a few classes and then go to their normal job. Or a lot of people that are taking time off from work do it while raising kids, since you can do it from home and work your own hours.

But, there are teachers that only do VIPKID. You make about $20 an hour plus incentives. It just depends on if you're living with other people and your cost of living and what not. I think it's great to just do it as a second job...or have it as a backup when you go back home. You could start it here and then while you're searching for a job back home you'll already have one job so you already have some income. That's my plan. It's been really good for me to save up extra money.

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 06:18:08 PM »
Yes unfortunately only Americans and Canadians because they're looking for a North American accent :/

Most people get paid $10 a class. It's $8 base pay then you get another $1 for basically just showing up and .50 cents more if you teach 30 classes in a month, and $1 more if you teach 45 classes in a month. So if you teach about 12 classes a week then you make $10 a class.

The classes are only 25-28 minutes though, so basically you make $20 an hour. Then there are always incentives every month, so there's the possibility to make a lot more than that. It's really easy money since you can work as little or as much as you want with really great hours for Korea and from the privacy of your own home

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 06:32:14 PM »
Yes unfortunately only Americans and Canadians because they're looking for a North American accent

That's quite disappointing. No idea why that would be, not like it's going to get you further in life having a North American accent.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 06:36:49 PM »
So on the plus side, you can do it from home but on the minus side it's not as satisfying as face to face teaching. For the same money as quite a low paid teaching job. Meh.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 06:51:54 PM »
OP - you've been doing this while working for SMOE? for the last 9 months?

so in the last 9 months you have not only violated the clause in your contract that specifically states we cannot do any outside work - including online teaching - as well as the government regulation which prohibits all public school teachers - including koreans - from doing any outside work.

have you reported the income you've made through VIPKID to the korean tax authorities too? because as a resident in korea you have a legal obligation to do so. failure to report that income is tax evasion, which is a criminal offense, on top of you violating your contract.

oh, and don't try and fool everyone here, the ONLY reason you've started this thread is to get the referral bonus. i can see that when i click on your link to VIPKID.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:16:14 PM by kobayashi »

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 06:56:54 PM »
Cool your jets K. You don't know if OP has or has not gotten the appropriate permission from his school - it is possible to have a second job if your principal allows it.  also, you don't know what visa the OP holds. And you don't know if the OP has done the right thing tax wise. In short, you know nothing and accuse the OP being a cheat and a criminal. How about asking questions first, if you are really concerned (which I doubt, considering your tone).

Offline hippo

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 08:18:08 PM »
Do you get any incentive for recommending this company?

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 08:22:37 PM »
the school wouldn't issue permission to do online tutoring since it is specifically mentioned in the contracts that online tutoring isn't allowed. and they especially wouldn't issue permission to do online tutoring for a company that isn't even korean.

what visa they hold is completely irrelevant. the public school contracts specifically forbid outside work, and there is a government regulation that prohibits even korean nationals who are public school teachers from doing outside work.

how do i know they haven't done the right thing tax wise? because what they're doing is illegal and thus cannot be reported to the tax authorities.

if you have an occupation which requires residing in korea for one year or more (even if one has not yet resided in korea for the full year) you are deemed a resident in south korea, and according to korean tax laws worldwide income is taxable for residents in south korea.

so, the OP has two options: 1. reports the income to the tax authorities, in which case it will become abundantly clear she has violated her contract or 2. don't report the income, in which case she is guilty of tax evasion.

neither of those options are desirable. that's what happens when you violate your contract.

ps for the mods: i'm posting from home now so i'm using a VPN as i am understandably not comfortable having my home IP address visible to anyone on the internet.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:24:26 PM by kobayashi »

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 08:24:04 PM »
Actually I find it way more satisfying than my classroom teaching. Since it's 1-on-1 I can really watch them grow if they take your classes repeatedly. I had one student who started as a trial student and then signed up and I taught him for the first couple of unit...then didn't see him for a few weeks and then started teaching him more, and just watching his English grow from nothing to being able to read full sentences was so rewarding. And most of their English (these are Chinese students) is on a much higher level than Korean students so a lot of the times I can have more meaningful conversation with them.

In terms of the legality I don't go telling my school but technically I don't think it's illegal. It's not a job, you're an independent contractor (not an employee) and you make USD into your American bank account teaching Chinese students. You're not making money in korea, you pay us taxes on it. Plus you do it from home. So I don't really see how it's that conflicting. I'm not the only one that teaches with vipkid here, I have 4 other friends that also teach with vipkid here in Korea. My main point in posting was to share this opportunity with others as well as start a discussion with other teachers who teach with vipkid. There are Facebook groups for teacher to connect, but they're mostly teachers in America or Europe, but it'd be cool to find other teachers in Korea. I have some questions on how to handle taxes and wanna find out who else does vipkid only back home or while traveling...

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 08:39:12 PM »
Article 17 (Codes of conduct)
Section 4 - "the employee shall not engage in any other employment (including any part-time, private or self-employment, or online instruction) during the term of employment."

Article 18 (Termination of the contract) "The employer may legally terminate or cancel this Contract upon occurence of any one or more of the following events:
Section 5 - Employee engages in any other employment (including any part-time, private or self-employment, or online instruction) during the term of employment."

Of course it's a job. if you get money for it, then it's a job, and a direct violation of the contract.

Not only that but you are liable for taxes on that income in korea as a resident of korea. as a resident of korea your worldwide income is taxable. Why do you think you need a business registration number in order to withdraw money from a Paypal account into a korean bank account? so they can keep track of things for tax purposes.

if you didn't declare this income to the NTS in korea during your last year-end tax settlement then you are guilty of tax evasion.

Offline metzy244

• Adventurer
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 08:43:15 PM »
 :rolleyes:
jeez koboyashi, why are you policing other people?  Go back to downing a bunch of wieners...
(mods, I'm referring to hot dogs)

Offline hippo

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 09:41:55 PM »
Hi! I work as a public school teacher here in Seoul, but I'm leaving Korea in August (been here 3 years). For the past 9 months I've also been an independent contractor with VIPKID online. I just wanted to start a vipkid thread! It's such a great company and I'm pretty sure there's a few of us here in Korea and also in China and waygooks in other countries that do VIPKID, but I don't see much discussion about it here on waygook. Who else does it? It would just be nice to have an open thread on waygook to talk about taxes when that comes around, working remotely while traveling, materials, that sort of thing.

If you're a teacher and you don't work for VIPKID yet and you're American or Canadian and are looking to make some extra money, find out more here! And let me know if you have any questions about signing up!
https://t.vipkid.com.cn/

Yes or No: Do you get an referral incentive?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:02:24 PM by taeyang »

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 11:04:15 PM »
removed the referral link and replaced with a generic link to VIPKID's homepage.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 11:08:26 PM »
removed the referral link and replaced with a generic link to VIPKID's homepage.

This is an example of good moderation.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

• Explorer
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2017, 12:38:47 AM »
So now that we're over the talk of the link and policing me, seriously, if anyone has any questions about vipkid please let me know. It's an amazing company. It'd be cool to start a discussion about it with other teachers that do it here as well, I think there's a lot more than us that teach with them here then you guys think

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment