November 19, 2017, 11:47:22 PM

Author Topic: There's a hanguk.org in your country. What do the Korean ex-pats complain about?  (Read 10441 times)

Offline StillInKorea

• Super Waygook
Some that follow weigookin74's original intent:

"I called BT to set up home internet access and they told me I'd have to wait a month for installation! Why can't they send someone to do it tomorrow morning?"

"I tried to call my family on Skype while riding in my friend's car, but the signal was terrible. Why can't I get a proper phone signal outside of the big cities?"

"I was taking photos of plants in the park when suddenly a woman grabbed her children, started screaming at me and threatened to call the police. Can you not take photos in parks in the UK?"

"I went fishing at the local river and some men in an official uniform came over to me in a boat with sirens. I thought they were doing a karaoke of the Village People, but they were serious. They took my fishing tackle, fined me, and told me I need a licence to fish in the river!"

"I asked my friend to proofread my advert for a technician for my new repair shop. He told me I can't advertise for a workman because that's sexist. Apparently I should also interview women who apply. I'm not sexist, but I don't think women would fit in with our work culture. What a waste of everyone's time."

"I went to see the doctor for the first time today, but they told me I need to officially register with them and then wait more than a week for my first appointment. Hopefully my strep throat won't become too serious in the meantime."

Online JNM

• The Legend
My goodness Canadians have HUGE water boilers in their homes!

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
I was coming off the M1 at junction 21 the other day, there was a white van in front of me as I approached the roundabout.  Both of us stopped.  I was looking to my right when I saw a space in the oncoming traffic.  I accelerated forward.....but hit the white van, who hadn't moved.  We both got out, and he walked towards me, but he didn't look too angry.  There was a huge jam behind us as I didn't move my car, understanding the protocol for these kind of things.  'Erm, ooops..look I'll call my insurance company they'll be here in 30 minutes.  they'll take some pictures and we'll say it was a 50/50 claim.  Okay?'  He punched me in the face and then got in his van and drove off.  What is wrong with these people?

Offline Arabin

• Super Waygook
I'm feeling lonely and frustrated so I and went out looking for some relief. So far I've had four haircuts, seven wet shaves and one police summons. What am I doing wrong?

Offline Maclean

• Veteran
I got a job as a food delivery person in Toronto. On my first day I delivered the food fastly then found the apartment. I knocked once then immediately opened the door and walked inside. My doctor says I will be able to leave the hospital in a day or two.

Offline some waygug-in

• Super Waygook
I don't think it's necessarily human nature to start complaining about wherever you go. I think it is if you're a pessimist and externalize blame. I think people who tend to be optimists, risk-takers, and blame internalizers are more likely to not fall into such a pattern.

kwote: Mr. DM

Ever hear of culture shock?   Yes it does happen when people travel and live in countries

quite different than their own.   Not everyone succumbs to the negativity, true.

But it does happen everywhere and is quite common.   It is not something unique to Korea

or to Wayguk-ins in Korea.

Some people manage to get over it, others never do.  As you say, it depends on personality and experience among other things.

What does seem more common in Korea is the number of people who continue to stay/work/live in a country in which they feel unhappy and culturally alienated.   I suppose the cost of living /  amount of income savings has a lot to do with that.

I probably should not have stayed past my second year, but I stayed 9.

It was that the economic benefits outweighed the negatives. (at least sometimes)

No need to feel sorry for them, plenty of them are leading fulfilling lives, some probably more vibrant and fulfilling than your own. Besides, one could say the same thing about people back home? How many "free spirits" are really just leading empty lives of crappy 'art' in between bong rips and Cartoon Network?

quoowote  Mr. DM

For those living the life of Riley, no, I don't feel sorry for them.   Plenty more are living
not so wonderful lives;  those are the ones I feel sorry for.
I suppose there are plenty of people back home I could feel sorry for as well (and I do)
but I was just pointing out my own personal feelings towards Koreans.

I especially felt sorry for the ones who were convinced that learning English was going
to put them into the upper crust of society somehow.  Hmmm :sad:

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 05:25:16 AM by some waygug-in »

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
Good detective work some waygug-in. However when you talk as much as DM you're bound to contradict yourself eventually. I'm sure he's got a good explanation why it's not contradiction anyway. 

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
Good detective work some waygug-in. However when you talk as much as DM you're bound to contradict yourself eventually. I'm sure he's got a good explanation why it's not contradiction anyway.

I don't really see any contradiction there. He's just offering a different view. I don't even think his point really contradicts mine. 

Online JNM

• The Legend
"I used the hand-held shower head from the tub as a bidet, and I got quite a lot of water on the floor. There is no floor drain (WTF!) and my roommate is swearing at me.

What does "frickinbonehead" mean?"

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend

I don't really see any contradiction there. He's just offering a different view. I don't even think his point really contradicts mine.

Maybe I misunderstood, I thought both quotes were from you.

Offline Andy73

• Adventurer
All that bitchin, they could move back to Korea. They're probably all studying for their citizenship tests.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
Here's one- Why do so many Americans not use washcloths and remove their dead skin after they bathe? Don't they realize dead skin leads to body odor? Why haven't they learned basic hygiene? Also what is up with the gigantic towels? Totally unnecessary and they don't dry or scrub as well.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
Wow, I saw a Maltese dog, that wasn't shaved or had its ears dyed pink.  What's all that about?

Last night at dinner in our flat my girlfriend had turned on the lamp to make things all romantic while we were eating.  As it was eating time, I jumped up and turned on all the lights so the room was a bright as the sun and made her eyes hurt.  When she looked at me disappointedly, I told her it was important to see our food when we're eating.  Am I in the wrong?

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
Why do all the restaurant warn me that my food will be bland and ask if i can use a knife and fork?

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
I'm sad and lonely here. So very, very lonely...

Offline gflips

• Adventurer
Why do all the restaurant warn me that my food will be bland and ask if i can use a knife and fork?

They usually tell me it's too salty for me.

Online JNM

• The Legend

They usually tell me it's too salty for me.

Can you get real Chinese food? I haven't been able to find 짜장면 or 짬뽕 anywhere!!

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
I said "hello" in a shop and wasn't told i speak English very well!  I thought my pronunciation was excellent.  They must be foreigners, not the foreigners who live there, different foreigners to the native foreigners. 

I called a guy a foreigner and he screamed something about: "Britain first".

I think he is a football fan because he talked about the EDL, it must be a new rival to the EPL....

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
Can you get real Chinese food? I haven't been able to find 짜장면 or 짬뽕 anywhere!!

Well certainly not at Chef Wok or Shanghai Palace with its authentic offerings such as General Tso's Chicken and beef with broccoli and a fortune cookie.

But hey, those are niche restaurants. Most of us back home go to the authentic places where we get things like beef tripe and chicken gizzard.

I said "hello" in a shop and wasn't told i speak English very well!  I thought my pronunciation was excellent.

Yeah no one has ever heard "You speak English well" back home.  :rolleyes:

======================================================
This thread is just getting pathetic now. It started out good, then it started to go bigoted, now its just painfully clueless. Like that dude in Gandhi going "We're British, we're hardly an alien power".

A lot of posters on waygook have no idea how Koreans actually live and act back home, have no idea what minorities experience, and have no idea how casually bigoted some of their thoughts and words are. Are guys that unaware of what goes on?

I'm a Trump supporter and the level of cluelessness here makes me hold me head.

Offline Dweebs1

• Veteran
I said "hello" in a shop and wasn't told i speak English very well!  I thought my pronunciation was excellent.  They must be foreigners, not the foreigners who live there, different foreigners to the native foreigners. 

I called a guy a foreigner and he screamed something about: "Britain first".

I think he is a football fan because he talked about the EDL, it must be a new rival to the EPL....

Why don't you take the time to find out where someone is first! I have been in Korean for 10 years and just a few people will actually ask where I'm from.