September 25, 2017, 08:05:45 AM

Author Topic: There's a hanguk.org in your country. What do the Korean ex-pats complain about?  (Read 9543 times)

Offline JNM

• The Legend
Why are baked goods and eggs sold in groups of 6? I always have an extra muffin that goes bad. If I only buy 5 it costs me more, and there is sales tax on it!

Why don't Canadian stores include the sales tax on the price tag?  If seams so sneaky. I think it is a foreigner rip-off-charge, but my CT tells me it is not. I don't trust her... she smiles too much.

Offline SaintsCanada

• Super Waygook
Why are baked goods and eggs sold in groups of 6? I always have an extra muffin that goes bad. If I only buy 5 it costs me more, and there is sales tax on it!

Why don't Canadian stores include the sales tax on the price tag?  If seams so sneaky. I think it is a foreigner rip-off-charge, but my CT tells me it is not. I don't trust her... she smiles too much.

I see what you did there. And I like it. Korea does, indeed, do many things better than Canada.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook

why would someone want to buy 5 muffins? just buy the pack. and eat the 'extra' one. 3 muffins a day over 2 days, one for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (or afternoon snack). 5 muffins makes absolutely no sense.

if in your strange 5-muffin world you can only ever eat 5 muffins at a time, give the 'extra' one to a colleague and they'll be grateful.

very strange post.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
Hey guys it Minsu, i really needs some legal advices.

the other night i was in a nightclub and i saw a white guy talking to a korean girl. it made me angry so i went up to him and told him that he shouldn't talk to 'our' women.

he laughed at me, so i punched him in the face. then i called the police.

but when the police came, they arrested me! what a hell! why do they arrest me and not the foreigner?

I really hurt my hand when i punched him, so i want to sue for medical cost. but police say i can't do that. what a hell!

now they put me in jail and say maybe i deport ....

please help guys.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
why would someone want to buy 5 muffins? just buy the pack. and eat the 'extra' one. 3 muffins a day over 2 days, one for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (or afternoon snack). 5 muffins makes absolutely no sense.

if in your strange 5-muffin world you can only ever eat 5 muffins at a time, give the 'extra' one to a colleague and they'll be grateful.

very strange post.

Says the professional eater, Kobayashi.
Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
'Anyone know what channel I can watch people frying meat before stuffing it in their mouth, in super close up?  I miss that!'

The Food Network?

the other night i was in a nightclub and i saw a white guy talking to a korean girl. it made me angry so i went up to him and told him that he shouldn't talk to 'our' women.

but when the police came, they arrested me! what a hell! why do they arrest me and not the foreigner?

I really hurt my hand when i punched him, so i want to sue for medical cost. but police say i can't do that. what a hell!

please help guys.

The fact that you might actually think this how Koreans act back home and the stuff they would talk about is pretty pathetic. I don't think you know this country or its people near as well as you think you do and you need to stop relying on your imagination so much.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
Why are there so many foreign restaurants here? This isn't Itaewon.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
'Anyone know what channel I can watch people frying meat before stuffing it in their mouth, in super close up?  I miss that!'

The Food Network?

please help guys.

The fact that you might actually think this how Koreans act back home and the stuff they would talk about is pretty pathetic. I don't think you know this country or its people near as well as you think you do and you need to stop relying on your imagination so much.

There really is no point in replying to you in anything other than gifs.  You like shiny, moving pictures, right?

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
Why are there so many foreign restaurants here? This isn't Itaewon.

Credit where credit is due.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook

oh i know this country and its people far too well demartino. i think you are the one who needs to get a clue about how koreans act, and step away from your delusions.

the story i wrote is not actually far from the truth.

guy i know recently got beaten unconscious by 5 korean guys because they didn't like him talking to korean girls in a club in seoul.

5 manly korean men against 1 foreigner.

when the police came, they arrested him - the foreigner - while he was unconscious. he woke up covered in blood in the police station. not even the hospital.

one of the korean guys who punched him wanted to sue for medical costs because he (the koeran guy) hurt his hand punching him (the foreigner).

who do you think ended up getting charged with assault? yup, you guessed it - the foreigner!

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend

oh i know this country and its people far too well demartino. i think you are the one who needs to get a clue about how koreans act, and step away from your delusions.

the story i wrote is not actually far from the truth.

guy i know recently got beaten unconscious by 5 korean guys because they didn't like him talking to korean girls in a club in seoul.

5 manly korean men against 1 foreigner.

when the police came, they arrested him - the foreigner - while he was unconscious. he woke up covered in blood in the police station. not even the hospital.

one of the korean guys who punched him wanted to sue for medical costs because he (the koeran guy) hurt his hand punching him (the foreigner).

who do you think ended up getting charged with assault? yup, you guessed it - the foreigner!

What club was this, at what time, and what day?

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend

The Food Network?

please help guys.

There really is no point in replying to you in anything other than gifs.  You like shiny, moving pictures, right?

So you really think this is how Koreans act overseas? Do you think black people overseas post only about where to find fried chicken, rap music, and doing drive-bys? It's one thing to joke about funny stereotypes, its another to literally believe utter horseshit.

Like, those have ys who had an actual decade+ of dealing with large numbers of Koreans on a near daily basis back home BEFORE we came here know that how people here think Koreans act and how they actually act is quite different.

Offline Maclean

• Veteran

The Food Network?

Are you really that far removed from reality that you equate someone eating on the Food Network with what we must endure when watching a Korean food show / commercial?

Really? They do super close ups on the FN? The guests on the show then proceed to eat the food Korea style? Really? I'd love to see that. Please post a link. I'm repay your kindness by posting a clip from a Korea food show.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 05:27:47 PM by Maclean »

Offline cjszk

• Expert Waygook

The Food Network?

please help guys.

So you really think this is how Koreans act overseas? Do you think black people overseas post only about where to find fried chicken, rap music, and doing drive-bys? It's one thing to joke about funny stereotypes, its another to literally believe utter horseshit.

Like, those have ys who had an actual decade+ of dealing with large numbers of Koreans on a near daily basis back home BEFORE we came here know that how people here think Koreans act and how they actually act is quite different.

The bold point is where I agree with DeMartino. kobayashi, dave stepz... I can agree with that rather outrageously seeming story if it fits in the context of:
1. Outrageous Korean person is in Korea and has never lived overseas.
2. Suddenly all other Korean people except for this outrageous Korean person become fair to foreigners as well.

I won't doubt that you guys know how some Koreans behave on their most outrageous fronts, but overseas Korean expats really don't behave that way.

----------------------------------

Korean expats typically complain about cultural differences and the lack of Korean products/services/cultural perks.
Whenever Korean expats do feel they are unjustly wronged overseas, they normally claim racism.

----------------------------------

If you forget that living in a different culture from one's own humbles the mind, then remind yourself of that. If you never knew that in the first place that would probably make you a sociopath.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 05:27:28 PM by cjszk »

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
Hey nerds, stop taking everything so seriously.

Yikes.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook

The Food Network?

please help guys.

I think you're taking this waaaaay too seriously. This is just a thread were people are venting about what annoys them but framing it in a different way.

Also, as a black person, there's no need to post about where to find fried chicken because they're everywhere. You can find rap music in about every gym and the odd Korean store trying to appeal to Americans. And it's hard to do drive-bys when you don't have a car  :wink:

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
Are you really that far removed from reality that you equate someone eating on the Food Network with what we must endure when watching a Korean food show / commercial?

Really? They do super close ups on the FN? The guests on the show then proceed to eat the food Korea style? Really? I'd love to see that. Please post a link. I'm repay your kindness by posting a clip from a Korea food show.

Is it 100% the same? No. Is it overplayed and exaggerated at times, especially on a show like Guy Fieri's? Yeah. Even throwdown with Bobby Flay would have the occasional over-the-top reaction shot.

And for goodness sakes, its someone slurping, quit being so melodramatic. This gets you way more irritated than you should be.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
Is it 100% the same? No. Is it overplayed and exaggerated at times, especially on a show like Guy Fieri's? Yeah. Even throwdown with Bobby Flay would have the occasional over-the-top reaction shot.

And for goodness sakes, its someone slurping, quit being so melodramatic. This gets you way more irritated than you should be.

You - This thread

Offline Maclean

• Veteran

I wish it was just slurping, but it's waaaay more than just that. They don't slurp galbi but it's still painful to witness the sounds and sights of them eating it 'deliciously' on one of those shows. Even if there's nothing on the table that might conceivably be slurped. No-one watching the Food Network back home has a reaction akin to "By the gods, why would anyone - anyone, anywhere, at any time, in their right mind, and raised on planet earth - opt to eat their food like like that?"

Korean food shows be nasty.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 06:52:13 PM by Maclean »

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
Hey nerds, stop taking everything so seriously.

Yikes.

It started out that way. But now it's on the verge of turning into something bigoted.

It's at that point where someone took some Chappelle Show-esqe stereotype clowning and turned it into a hate rant.

kobayashi's last post was essentially this- blackfolks.org version

"Yo yo yo, why these cops be bullshit yo? The other day me and my homies jumped this white b for walkin in our hood and stole his bike and the cops threw us in jail. Can't believe them racist cops dawg. I'm bout to claim police brutality. BLM No Justice No Peace"

And look at his response. He wasn't posting it as a joke. He seemed to genuinely believe it and treat it as the norm. The worst part though? It really doesn't have much basis in reality.

Like I said earlier, I wish this had split into 3 subthreads- One for all in good fun stereotype jokes, one for meta jokes that compare users and waygook.org themes translated into hanguk.org, and finally one for people who genuinely wanted to discuss the topic because sadly, it does seem like some on this site genuinely believe that's how Koreans are overseas and that's really disturbing. 

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment