November 19, 2017, 09:15:30 AM

Author Topic: There's a hanguk.org in your country. What do the Korean ex-pats complain about?  (Read 10435 times)

Offline JNM

• The Legend
People keep mixing the order of my names; I find forms so confusing... Last name, Firstname Middle name... so confusing.

- Park Song Ahn

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
Horri Sheet...

These people don't care about me.
They don't ask:
How old are you?
Where do you work?
How much money you make?
Do you know ________ (insert national dish here)

Horri sheet...
-Their food is TOO spicy! Spicier than Korean food!

-People look at me funny when I spit in public everywhere and anywhere.
-Where can I find ramyeon???

Reallly?? This thread is for light teasing, shoe on the other foot kind of stuff. That's just racist.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook

2) Why doesn't anyone speak English?

This is misleading. I'm no expert, but I'd think a basic grasp of English (in urban areas) is close to 100% in South Africa.

Rest are all true.

Yes, predominantly understood, but not predominantly spoken, and when spoken it is normally a mix of languages, unless of course you come from a nice privileged white, English area.

So please note I said SPEAK English, but thanks.

I can go up to a random black dude on the streets of Cape Town and have 99% confidence that he speaks passable English. God, everything is English in urban South Africa (road signs, advertisements, menus etc. etc. etc. etc. etc).

Also, jinne. Ja, no well fine we can talk about it now now at the robot, but that oke standing there better voetsek with his papsak.

I'm taking for granted that Koreans won't be spending the majority of their time in Bellville or Hillbrow. Also, I've lived in Durban (21 years), PE (6 years) and Cape Town (5 years) and can safely surmise that I've never worked in an office that wasn't predominantly English.

Then again, my work experience is notoriously scant :-[   

If i had a pound for every thread that got derailed by people going on about whether South Africans speak English or not i'd have a few pounds!

This thread is interesting, please don't ruin it.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook

-Where can I find ramyeon???

Last time I was home, Walmart had both Shin and Neoguri Ramyeon. I'm from a podunk midwestern town, too, so I was kinda surprised.

Speaking of my hometown, any Koreans living there might have the following to complain about:

The public transportation system is a joke.

Taxis are too expensive.

You can get arrested for walking home drunk.

Slim pickins as far as coffee shops.

The mall is a ghost town (if they haven't torn it down yet).

The only Asian restaurants are a couple generic "Chinese" places.

The dating scene is pretty abysmal, with a nightlife scene to match.

Pizza is the only delivery option.

Very little that could be considered high end dining options.

Some things they might actually like:

The public parks are very nice. Spacious, clean, and well laid out.

The Mexican restaurants have summa that real sh!t, if you know what to ask for. (I avoid meat for medical reasons, but you bet your ass I had a huge plate of tacos al pastor last time I went home.)

Houses are large and almost absurdly cheap.

A couple of annual festivals are decent family fun.

Groceries are cheap.

There are waaaaaaay more vegetarian options pretty much everywhere.

It never even remotely approaches being too crowded.

Instead of tossing everything by the dumpsters, you can put your old stuff out in your front yard on a Saturday morning, and people will come buy it from you!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 12:14:22 PM by Mister Tim »

Offline SaintsCanada

• Super Waygook
People keep mixing the order of my names; I find forms so confusing... Last name, Firstname Middle name... so confusing.

- Park Song Ahn

(y)

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
Then again, my work experience is notoriously scant :-[   

We probably just come from different walks of life, I think. Agree to disagree.  ;D

Lol, Penny. I apologise.

Dear Hanguks

I turned on the air conditioning and opened the windows and people were really confused by this. Why?

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
Why won't my new friend hold my hand?

Offline eastreef

• Super Waygook
Misspelled English words in America.  Why can’t Americans spell correctly?

July 3, 2017

War on Terriorism

A new war memorial in Whitley County misspelled "terrorism".  The blooper-engraved bench was added to a Vietnam War memorial in Columbia City, Indiana, on Tuesday as a way to celebrate veterans of modern wars….

http://nypost.com/2017/07/03/war-memorial-manages-to-hurt-the-fight-against-terriorism/

http://www.wndu.com/content/news/New-war-memorial-in-Whitley-Co-gains-negative-attention-after-an-engraving-error-432143853.html

“All of this has happened before, and will happen again.”

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
I turned on the air conditioning and opened the windows and people were really confused by this. Why?

In offices its moronic unless you've got an IceBlaster 5000 and the window is open just a bit so its nice and comfy with just a bit of breeze.

However, there is no better way to drive than with the A/C on full blast and the windows down on a nice dry, hot day. You get all the feeling of the warm sun and none of that nasty sweat.

Same with driving with the windows open a bit and the heater on full blast in the winter. It's like a hot tub in winter.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
Last week, my boss who is in his thirties came into the office, sat down and had a meeting with the other employees, many younger than himself.  He listened to them and then made a decision based on what everyone said.  What is going on?

Where the hell is my car?  WTF?  I went shopping for half an hour so parked it with the hazard lights on in the right-hand lane of the busy intersection blocking the ambulance emergency exit and the entrance to the diabetes centre.  When I came back it had gone.  WTF!  Someone stole it.  It is a gray Avante, please help.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
Misspelled English words in America.  Why can’t Americans spell correctly?
War on Terriorism

That is hilarious, who knew his little fluffy face could hide such a dangerous interior.

The designer sounds like an idiot.  You have one job to do, and you did it wrong!  It looks even worse having 'War on Terr orism'.  Sounds like a rare STD. 

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
I feel this thread needs three sub-threads

1) Serious answers

2) Light-hearted stereotype-based answers (all in good fun)

3) Meta-answers. Like 'Unlike waygook.org which would be filled with threads about how Moon Jae-In is running things and arguing over Donald Trump, hanguk.org would be filled with threads about how Moon Jae-In is running things and arguing over Donald Trump."
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 01:02:05 PM by Mr.DeMartino »

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
Why do these idiots pull over whenever they hear a siren or something on the road? Don't they know that slows down traffic?

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
Last week, my boss who is in his thirties came into the office, sat down and had a meeting with the other employees, many younger than himself.  He listened to them and then made a decision based on what everyone said.  What is going on?

Where the hell is my car?  WTF?  I went shopping for half an hour so parked it with the hazard lights on in the right-hand lane of the busy intersection blocking the ambulance emergency exit and the entrance to the diabetes centre.  When I came back it had gone.  WTF!  Someone stole it.  It is a gray Avante, please help.

I like in this situation the guy imported his car.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
My bosses uncles brothers friend didn't talk to me at his daughters wedding. He looked confused about why I was there. How do they make wedding money?

Also, why are the trains so expensive? and I can't understand what people are saying, why don't people in the UK speak American?

Offline Hau5fly

• Adventurer
South Africa

1) OMG I cannot figure out the public transport system here.  The men screaming out of the small buses scare me.
3) These people are so unsanitary, they eat everything with their hands.
4) Thank god these people love fried chicken as much as we do back home.
5) Why is there no indoor heating anywhere?
6) It's so bizarre that people actually swim for fun, why would you do that?
7) I went to the beach and people expected me to go into the water, why would someone do that?
8 ) The internet is like dial up speed. I can't do anything.
9) The women here are so slutty, they wear tank tops and spaghetti strap tops and there is all this cleavage and it is just ridiculous showing off that much skin. And I was told that my skirt was too short for work pffffft.
10) Why are white people trying to tan?
11) I had no idea you could see so many stars at night.
12) OMG the sun is always shining and the sky is so blue. I am spending so much money on skin lightener.
13) Why is everyone so fat?

Didn't know #13 was an issue in SA?

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
South Africa

1) OMG I cannot figure out the public transport system here.  The men screaming out of the small buses scare me.
3) These people are so unsanitary, they eat everything with their hands.
4) Thank god these people love fried chicken as much as we do back home.
5) Why is there no indoor heating anywhere?
6) It's so bizarre that people actually swim for fun, why would you do that?
7) I went to the beach and people expected me to go into the water, why would someone do that?
8 ) The internet is like dial up speed. I can't do anything.
9) The women here are so slutty, they wear tank tops and spaghetti strap tops and there is all this cleavage and it is just ridiculous showing off that much skin. And I was told that my skirt was too short for work pffffft.
10) Why are white people trying to tan?
11) I had no idea you could see so many stars at night.
12) OMG the sun is always shining and the sky is so blue. I am spending so much money on skin lightener.
13) Why is everyone so fat?

Didn't know #13 was an issue in SA?

We are climbing up on the obesity bandwagon, but in this particular instance I just thought that our beautiful hourglass figures and beer appreciation "boep pens" will be entirely misconstrued.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
My boss got angry that I was only pretending to understand everything he said! I thought I was just being polite by nodding along despite having to ****** clue what he was talking about! What the hell am I supposed to do, ask for clarification?

another real one

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
My boss got angry that I was only pretending to understand everything he said! I thought I was just being polite by nodding along despite having to ****** clue what he was talking about! What the hell am I supposed to do, ask for clarification?

I forgot what thread I was in and I was going to tell you, "Of course, ask, you knob!"

hahahaha

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
'Anyone know what channel I can watch people frying meat before stuffing it in their mouth, in super close up?  I miss that!'