November 19, 2017, 09:13:41 AM

Author Topic: There's a hanguk.org in your country. What do the Korean ex-pats complain about?  (Read 10434 times)

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
Title's a bit long and I cut it short but I'm sure you get it.

Canada hangook.org

"Everything closes at 10 and I can't drink past 1:45AM"

"I went to see a movie the other day and there were some kids smoking pot down an alleyway. I could smell it. When will the Chief of Police crack down on this criminal scum?"

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
Everyone is so fat

Everything is so far away

They all dress like they just rolled out of bed

It's too damn cold in the supermarkets

They're so loud

The guy at the register in Target asked me too many invasive questions! I hate all this fake-nice stuff!

I can't get shit faced drunk every night because there are no taxis in this town to take me home and I live a 20 minute drive away, how am I supposed to relax and be myself if I cant black out?

There are no recycling bins in McDonalds, these people don't care about the environment!

I miss Kimchi

All this food is so salty and greasy, I need to import my entire kitchen from back home because I don't know how to eat healthily in another country

these white girls dont want to **** me, i only match with other asians and black girls on tinder... gross! i hate this racist place!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 02:21:18 PM by sevenpm »

Offline cjszk

• Expert Waygook
1. Lack of public transportation. "I thought America was supposed to be developed. It's all country!"

2. People are ugly/don't care about their looks enough.

3. Everyone is fat.

4. Food is greasy... no kimchi/pickles/turnip to accompany it.

5. Americans talk too loud. Get excited too easy.

6. Racial Discrimination~ Men are seen as feminine, Women are seen as sexual objects.

7. People compare Koreans with Japanese and Chinese/can't tell the difference and lump them together.

Honestly, there are a few things that I would complain about in being back in America.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
Why do women not wear make-up?

Offline StillInKorea

• Super Waygook
"I was involved in an accident because a woman in a 20 year old car didn't stop to give way to my luxury car. The police said I'm at fault. What should I do?"

"My English friends didn't want to eat the box of fried chicken I ordered this morning for our party this evening. Don't English people like chicken?"

"I tried to make new friends at the pub this evening, but I was assaulted. After asking one man how old he was and if he had a girlfriend, I started rubbing his thigh. He punched me in the face. Is England really this dangerous?"

"My son got into trouble at school for calling a black boy 'Chocolate'. To Koreans, chocolate is a good thing. It's very sweet. Why can't the school understand our situation? Are they racist?"

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
안녕 여러분! Hanguk.org user Kim Min Seok here --

Today was my first day at my new school in America. After the morning bell, I wandered around looking for the Dokdo shrine for three hours. After finally giving up, I asked my co-teacher where it was. Not only do they not have a 24 video feed of Dokdo, but they don't even know what it is! How am I going to know what's happening? I don't know if I can live like this. Please send help and kimchi! 

Offline defenderoftherealm

• Super Waygook
  • Unleash the gangster.
"People actually go to work on time and finish work on time in this country.  They even kicked me out of the building when I tried to work late.  What do I do with all of this free time?  What will I complain about if I can't complain about working too hard?"

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
This tread could be conducive to a really well written post.

Or maybe just some of the Korean teachers who lurk might have something to say.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline defenderoftherealm

• Super Waygook
  • Unleash the gangster.
"Why do people do drugs here so casually and yet paying for services from ladies will send me to jail quicker than morning coffee sending me to a toilet?  Not everyone does icky drugs but doesn't everyone have sex?"

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
Some of the ones I posted above were real.

Here is another real one from my CT:

Driving in America was so difficult. There are so many rules about where you can and can't park, and you actually have to fully stop at stop signs, so many rules so I got pulled over!

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
'I got fired for repeatedly turning up to work with a hangover and smelling of soju, what is that all about?  The other doctors I work with just applauded.'

'I finish work at 5pm and I have to spend time with my wife in the evening.  I don't know what to do!'

'When I showed my employer my university diploma certificate for the umpteenth time, they photocopied it and did a search make sure my university actually existed.  What is that all about?'

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
Everyone is so fat

Everything is so far away

They all dress like they just rolled out of bed

It's too damn cold in the supermarkets

They're so loud

The guy at the register in Target asked me too many invasive questions! I hate all this fake-nice stuff!

I can't get shit faced drunk every night because there are no taxis in this town to take me home and I live a 20 minute drive away, how am I supposed to relax and be myself if I cant black out?

There are no recycling bins in McDonalds, these people don't care about the environment!

I miss Kimchi

All this food is so salty and greasy, I need to import my entire kitchen from back home because I don't know how to eat healthily in another country

these white girls dont want to **** me, i only match with other asians and black girls on tinder... gross! i hate this racist place!

Coffee. Almost all over my monitor. Dying.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hello!

I just wondered, why can't I buy alcohol in any of the convenience stores? Also why aren't there more convenience stores?

I heard it is cold, but today is hot. Why?

Why are cigarettes so expensive? Do they really think taxing cigarettes so much and charging people for something that's so cheap to make is effective? In other countries, cigarettes are way cheaper.

Restaurants - you have to tip? UGH that's so stupid. In my country we don't have to tip. They just to their job. And why are restaurants so expensive here? UGH.

Also, McDonald and other fast food is terrible here. It's always smashed and looks terrible. UGH.

And public transit is so expensive. UGH.

Pizza is boring. Not enough exciting toppings. They have terrible pizza here.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
My kid got a test back covered in red ink, and a B- grade on it.  How do you get a teacher fired in this country?

Offline traversing

• Veteran
"Every time I fly out of the country for vacation I'm aggressively interrogated about why I'm coming back. They literally have my work/student visa in their hands.  :rolleyes:"

(Even as a white ass American with a US passport this happens to me multiple times throughout the airport. Only time it didn't happen was when I flew from Germany to PDX (in Oregon) when I was in highschool. In my experience PDX is generally a kind airport, officers don't speak to you as if you're in the military or being charged with something.)

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
I think this thread could do good in seeing who has empathy and who can have a clue what its like living back home for immigrants vs. those who believe in cartoon caricatures of people.

1. Street crime and danger. Aggressive panhandling. Drug addicts. I think this is the big one. The number of no go-zones, the danger of guns, gangs, addicts, and so on wherever you go is really off-putting. A lot are sort of cool on the weed. Try it once or something like that. But crackheads, metheads, and heroin addicts?

2. Related to this the physically aggerssive-confrontational nature of people. Things degenerating so much into fights and people trying to act "hard". People randomly messing with others on the street.

3. Why does everything have cheese/ranch dressing on it? Why is the salad 75% meat/cheese/eggs? Why are so many foods deep fried? Why is the only cheap fast food burgers and fries (getting better these days with sandwich places and Chipolte type stuff)?

4. Birthday cakes that have rock hard icing that has enough sugar to give an elephant diabetes.

5. Cops that treat the slightest offence like a major crime against society rather than a simple basic mistake. Responding with a hand on a gun and accusatory questions.

6. Anti-intellectualism and anti-education sentiment. To paraphrase Chris Rock- 2 years in prison gets more respect than 2 years in graduate school.

7. Car stereos getting stolen. Airbags getting stolen.

8. Refridgerator-like settings for A/C in malls, movie theaters, etc.

9. Abandonment of many of the western traditions that they were hoping to experience. Peers unintrested in classical music or art or literature now replaced by stuff they have never heard of and have no familiarity with. Ta-Nahesi Coates instead of Bronte and Greek classics.

10. Anti-religion (Something 90% of Koreans end up attending churches) anti-Christian sentiment in America, especially on campuses. Getting teased and called stupid for being a Christian (not expected). Or some come here and are progressive and non-religious but have more traditional views on say, marraige, sex, and homosexuality and are shocked at displays that they feel are vulgar and debauched.

11. Can be hard to get a soccer game going

12. Pro/College sports is too expensive. Beer is to expensive. Can't bring in outside food.

Lucky 13. The Airlines.

Things that are enjoyed

1. Meeting new people from around the world, particularly other international students or other church people.

2. Their professors and other teachers who really help them.

3. Other students who take their academics seriously and contribute to a great learning environment.

4. Driving is more orderly. Big roads. Road trips to places.

5. Respect for military, police, firefighters, and other civil servants who sacrifice.

6. Cutting-edge healthcare, tech, other things.

7. Getting to let yourself go a little and relax.

8. Air quality and other natural beauty things.

9. Having different friend groups- The Korean group of friends, The church friends, the Asian/International Student friends, the American friends.

10. New food from around the world. Beer. Whiskey. Wine.

11. Away from parents. Club. Play Beerpong. Screw.

12. Church life. Getting close to people. Spiritually growing. The Korean food at church sometimes tastes really good. The LA Galbi and Spicy Pork doesn't quite match back in Korea but is so good.

13. Big houses. Having a yard and 3 finished floors and a 2-car garage for the same price as an apartment over here.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
I only need my ATM card number and one password to do anything with my bank account... no certificates, token, or bingo card.  A friend has it set up with his fingerprint reader on his phone.  Is my money secure?

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
I forgot another- Government stuff and shipping taking weeks to months. 50 state laws.

And another good one- the golf.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
I forgot another- Government stuff and shipping taking weeks to months. 50 state laws.

And another good one- the golf.

So, I need to change my address at immigration, the DMV, the health department... don't these government agencies talk to each other!?

Offline thunderlips

• Expert Waygook
Why does English bastardize so many Korean words?!?
Kor Share at jcink

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
"Why is there sugar in the cookies but not the garlic bread? MADNESS!"