July 21, 2017, 05:47:06 PM

Author Topic: APOP or KPOP [TWICE SUMMER SLAM EDITION]  (Read 2057 times)

Offline estherjoy

• Adventurer
APOP or KPOP [TWICE SUMMER SLAM EDITION]
« on: June 27, 2017, 03:56:03 PM »
As I'm transferring to teaching elem kiddos in August, for my farewell lesson I've created a TWICE Summer edition of APOP or KPOP!! Most of the songs were released in the last 6 months so this is the current stuff your students are listening to! (It accidentally became TWICE themed, but oh well!)

The directions are explained in the PPT. I left any song titles in the English lyrics, but for your higher level kids (like HS) you can always replace the song title with a ________ to make it more difficult for them.

There is also a "Knock Knock" mini-game at the end using Google Translated Korean lyrics if you need to have a little more of a time buffer.

Technical stuff: All of the videos are WMV so you should have no problems playing them on your computers. If so, install or update Quicktime and that should resolve any issues you have. You shouldn't need the video files, but they are in the Google Drive folder just in case. Download and install the fonts before you open it in Powerpoint.

Please let me know if you have any problems with the PPT itself. If you have a problem with the name of the game, you are free to edit the powerpoint in any way you wish.  :wink:

DOWNLOAD
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 03:58:32 PM by estherjoy »

Offline Kaynadian

• Explorer
Re: APOP or KPOP [TWICE SUMMER SLAM EDITION]
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 04:08:27 PM »
Thanks so much! My students love these games. It's the perfect game to finish the semester.

Offline teacher1988

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 11:36:05 AM »
Great stuff. The knock knock bonus section cracked me up hahahaha. Was that the actual Google Translate translation & voice?

Offline sonofthedude777

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 01:17:52 PM »
Estherjoy. Thanks. Looks stellar.  My students introduced me to many of these songs over the course of the last few months.  They are going to love this.
I am not a number. I am a free man.

Offline estherjoy

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 10:36:05 AM »
Great stuff. The knock knock bonus section cracked me up hahahaha. Was that the actual Google Translate translation & voice?

I believe it was an older version of the Google Translate voice. I found the videos that already had the voice and "visuals" embedded so I just creatively cut them into individual parts. There are songs on the videos that are NOT appropriate for our students. If you want to see them just for fun you can find them HERE and HERE.

Thanks so much! My students love these games. It's the perfect game to finish the semester.

Estherjoy. Thanks. Looks stellar.  My students introduced me to many of these songs over the course of the last few months.  They are going to love this.
You're welcome! Hope that your students enjoy it! The hardest part for me (as always) was finding English songs that the kids have heard.

Offline maximmm

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 10:42:57 AM »
Whenever I translate Korean to English on facebook - I always see a few F bombs. 
-  The waygook secretive moderator society  -
- We do not forgive.  We do not forget   -

My PPT stuff - http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,102847.0.html

Offline jesamla

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 03:13:47 PM »
Have you done this lesson with 1st grade middle school students?
This is a great lesson. I plan to do this with my 2nd and 3rd graders next week. But, I'm wondering if the 1st graders will know all the songs. Sometimes they just seem so young... :)

Offline estherjoy

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 04:07:24 PM »
I've done this style of game (as of yet, not this specific one but the other one I created and the others posted in the MS sub) with 1st Grade MS and surprisingly there have been a few times that they know the songs better than their 2nd/3rd grade classmates. However, because of their level this time I will leave in the song titles to kind of help them.

Also, I find that since they're just picking APOP or KPOP it's not as intimidating as it would be to list the song/artist. I remind them continuously that all I want is APOP or KPOP and that seems to alleviate game "anxiety".

But no, in the many times I've played APOP/KPOP I've never had a class react poorly to it. These students hear these songs everywhere so I don't think their age will hinder their knowledge of the songs.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 04:10:26 PM by estherjoy »

Offline zapata

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 11:34:01 AM »
This is awesome! So creative and funny. Can't wait to play this with my students! Thank you so much  :)

Offline jesamla

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 12:04:37 PM »
I've done this style of game (as of yet, not this specific one but the other one I created and the others posted in the MS sub) with 1st Grade MS and surprisingly there have been a few times that they know the songs better than their 2nd/3rd grade classmates. However, because of their level this time I will leave in the song titles to kind of help them.

Also, I find that since they're just picking APOP or KPOP it's not as intimidating as it would be to list the song/artist. I remind them continuously that all I want is APOP or KPOP and that seems to alleviate game "anxiety".

But no, in the many times I've played APOP/KPOP I've never had a class react poorly to it. These students hear these songs everywhere so I don't think their age will hinder their knowledge of the songs.

Thanks for the feedback. That's true, they have a 50/50 chance if they're just guessing APOP or KPOP. So even if they didn't know the songs, they can still play the game. But you're right, they probably hear the songs everywhere and probably know them better than I was thinking they would. Thanks :)

Offline castowers

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 01:04:24 PM »
I played this with Grade 3 Middle School today and it went amazing! Thanks! This will easily fill a full 40-45 minute class.

I've also done games like this with Grade 1 (at a rural school) and they had no problem guessing all the song names/singers.

Offline jddavis7

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 02:38:34 PM »
This is so good! I played it today with my rowdy kids and they actually paid attention. Will be using it again tomorrow.  :smiley:

Offline jaysoon17

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 03:18:11 PM »
You can still use K-Pop games you make with 6th graders. I did elementary school one year after doing middle school for two years, and then I went back to middle school. I was able to use a lot of stuff from middle school with 6th grade, so the K-Pop games I made way back in the day came in handy.

Offline Lindsey94

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 04:32:38 PM »
This is amazing! Cannot wait to use it for my after school kids this week, thank you!

Offline estherjoy

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 05:24:57 PM »
Just to report, I did this with my Grade 1 MS kids at my travel/rural school and they knew the songs better than their Grade 3 counterparts! (They were also dancing and singing along ahahahahahaha) So for those wondering, yes, this works with younger MS grades.

Offline jesamla

• Explorer
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 12:12:06 PM »
OK, I did this lesson with my 1st grade classes and everyone was right -- they knew the songs even better than my 2nd and 3rd grade classes! Thanks for lesson, ALL of my classes loved it  :smiley:

Offline damocha

• Adventurer
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 03:13:27 PM »
I have been hesitant to use KPop APop games in the past thinking my students wouldn't be able to handle all the English. I was completely wrong. It was so much fun watching my students losing their literal sh*t when they figured out what song it was.

Notes:
Used for Middle School Grades 1, 2, 3
Gave them hints such as if the title was in the song, how many words, etc.
Sometimes just reading it out loud also helped them
I let them write the title and artist in Korean
NONE of my 400+ students knew the songs "Stitches" or "Believer"

This was great. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 05:32:23 PM by damocha »

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment