September 25, 2017, 08:04:53 AM

Author Topic: Waygook.org user #basedcowboyshirt's #based lifehacks topic  (Read 10097 times)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: Waygook.org user #basedcowboyshirt's #based lifehacks topic
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2017, 02:42:16 PM »
Get a business card of a restaurant near your place. Use it as a reference point for taxi drivers that don't understand where you live (or if your Korean isn't good!).

This worked wonders for my at my first place in Korea. I live in a new area and the taxi drivers didn't always know all the neighbors because they were being built so fast. I got a business card from the restaurant on the first floor of my building. It had a map on the back. I would just hand that to the taxi driver to show them where I need to go. Sometimes it caused a bit of confusion, especially late at night when the restaurant is closed (they would try to tell me it is closed) but overall it worked out well.

LOL Korean addresses. Even Koreans don't understand them, they understandably just go by intersection names and landmarks because Kimchi Street 44th Alley 451, which is logically located in between the houses at Kimchi Street 44th Alley 5 and Kimchi Street 44th Alley #9005, is pretty goddamned hard to find!

To get to my house I have to tell taxi drivers the name of a market which is supposedly at the end of my block. Maybe 50 years ago there was a market there, but now there's just a bunch of college student bars and restaurants, a grocery store, and a dirty ddeok store. Somehow all the taxi drivers know of this market and they always take me straight there. I would have never known about this mystery market if the teachers who previously had my apartment hadn't told me about it.

Waygook.org user MayorHaggar, I think you're wrong and maybe don't know how to say or pronounce your address properly. Saying that "Koreans don't understand addresses" is misguided, because it's patently untrue. Saying landmarks can be easier and more convenient, and it's true that people do it often, but that doesn't mean that people have some sort of difficulty comprehending addresses. How do you think millions of people every day use the post office and various logistics companies?

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2017, 02:49:48 PM »
Lifehack 5.

If you enjoy beer, don't keep it in your fridge, or you'll be more tempted to drink it. If you have to go to the store every time you want a beer, you'll drink less beer and reduce your calorie intake while also reducing your monthly expenses.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2017, 02:49:59 PM »
Get a business card of a restaurant near your place. Use it as a reference point for taxi drivers that don't understand where you live (or if your Korean isn't good!).

This worked wonders for my at my first place in Korea. I live in a new area and the taxi drivers didn't always know all the neighbors because they were being built so fast. I got a business card from the restaurant on the first floor of my building. It had a map on the back. I would just hand that to the taxi driver to show them where I need to go. Sometimes it caused a bit of confusion, especially late at night when the restaurant is closed (they would try to tell me it is closed) but overall it worked out well.

LOL Korean addresses. Even Koreans don't understand them, they understandably just go by intersection names and landmarks because Kimchi Street 44th Alley 451, which is logically located in between the houses at Kimchi Street 44th Alley 5 and Kimchi Street 44th Alley #9005, is pretty goddamned hard to find!

To get to my house I have to tell taxi drivers the name of a market which is supposedly at the end of my block. Maybe 50 years ago there was a market there, but now there's just a bunch of college student bars and restaurants, a grocery store, and a dirty ddeok store. Somehow all the taxi drivers know of this market and they always take me straight there. I would have never known about this mystery market if the teachers who previously had my apartment hadn't told me about it.

Waygook.org user MayorHaggar, I think you're wrong and maybe don't know how to say or pronounce your address properly. Saying that "Koreans don't understand addresses" is misguided, because it's patently untrue. Saying landmarks can be easier and more convenient, and it's true that people do it often, but that doesn't mean that people have some sort of difficulty comprehending addresses. How do you think millions of people every day use the post office and various logistics companies?

There's a difference between writing down an address on an envelope that you copied from the internet, and inherently knowing where  산본로 254번길 is. Without NatSav, this country would be so fucked.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2017, 02:51:55 PM »
Lifehack 5.

If you enjoy beer, don't keep it in your fridge, or you'll be more tempted to drink it. If you have to go to the store every time you want a beer, you'll drink less beer and reduce your calorie intake while also reducing your monthly expenses.

Don't you dare tell me what to do with my beer.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2017, 02:58:04 PM »

There's a difference between writing down an address on an envelope that you copied from the internet, and inherently knowing where  산본로 254번길 is. Without NatSav, this country would be so fucked.

Literally 99% of taxis have navigation systems. If you say an address, they will type the address in the navi, and you will be able to go home. You don't have to have memorized every address in a city to be able to fully understand how addresses work.

It's the same in North America, too. You'll usually say which intersection or landmark the place you're going to is close to, and then you say where to go from there.

"Uh, yeah, can you take us to 123 Smith Road?" 
"Uh, sure, where's that?"
"Oh, it's close to like, 5th and Parkdale."
"Ah yeah, got it."

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2017, 03:02:18 PM »

As a fun aside for those with 3 mins to spare.

Offline JamSiManYo

• Adventurer
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »
Linen is a no-go in Worst Korea because it's so wrinkly, and I try to avoid ironing as much as possible because it's a stupid thing that peasants do. King Cotton is a lot less wrinkly!

Also wool is the devil! Except in winter, then it's fine as an outer layer. But you'd have to be smoking crack to think scratchy, itchy wool was worth wearing in summer when you could be wearing cool, breathable cotton clothes.

You are wearing the wrong wool if you think it is itchy.

I pay peasants to do my ironing.

The real lifehacks are always in the responses. If you can help it, don't do your own laundry.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2017, 03:11:19 PM »
Taxi destinations:

When I am going somewhere were there is no obvious landmark, like a friend's house on a back lane, I usually print out an A4 sized Google map with a pin, in a scale that includes a subway station or a major intersection, with the (new format) address written in Korean in 2 cm tall characters.

I ask for the -dong, and show the map.  The driver fumbles for his reading glasses, looks at the map, and usually gets it pretty quickly.

Regarding the new address system; I think that what happened is that somebody when to Europe or North America, took a course, sold the idea to the uppity ups, was asked to implement it.  The written rules make sense, but when you apply them to hilly terrain instead of gridded streets, you need to improvise, so there is a lack of consistency in numbering -gil etc.

Offline emmas28

• Veteran
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2017, 04:07:18 PM »
Game show and cereal enthusiasts

Recreate the madness at the end of The Crystal Maze by quickly picking up all the raisins in your muesli. But for every oat you pick up, deduct a raisin
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2017, 05:16:06 PM »
Korean Buffet Hack #32: You wouldn't have chosen to go their by your own volition, but there you are. So many options, but so few appetizing ones. How to make the most of your meal? Avoid food that requires any measure of actual cooking or heating, as these items tend to be overcooked/overheated. Don't let the fact that it's drowning in sweet sauce fool you; it's there only to hide its mispreparation*. To get the most bang for your buck, stick to the sushi corner. The salad bar, too, probably contains the freshest selection you'll find at the buffet. The fresh fruit makes a better dessert than anything from the prepackaged bakery corner, but make sure you find items that are fully ripened. Rices and soups are entirely filler and are best avoided. And don't bother waiting in line for 20 minutes to get that steak; it's little more than a thin slice of singed sirloin.

*That's not a word.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2017, 05:21:52 PM »
Korean Buffet Hack #32: You wouldn't have chosen to go their by your own volition, but there you are. So many options, but so few appetizing ones. How to make the most of your meal? Avoid food that requires any measure of actual cooking or heating, as these items tend to be overcooked/overheated. Don't let the fact that it's drowning in sweet sauce fool you; it's there only to hide its mispreparation*. To get the most bang for your buck, stick to the sushi corner. The salad bar, too, probably contains the freshest selection you'll find at the buffet. The fresh fruit makes a better dessert than anything from the prepackaged bakery corner, but make sure you find items that are fully ripened. Rices and soups are entirely filler and are best avoided. And don't bother waiting in line for 20 minutes to get that steak; it's little more than a thin slice of singed sirloin.

*That's not a word.

Well written, would read again. A+++

Also yeah, some buffets have totally rad salad sections. Fill it uppppppp on that fresh greens life - it's probably the most expensive thing there, too.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2017, 05:50:36 PM »

*That's not a word.

Blech. Korean buffet sushi is completely terrible.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2017, 06:00:44 PM »
If you accidentally get a bit of broken eggshell in your uncooked egg yolk/white in the bowl, you can remove it by using one of the half-shells that you hopefully haven't already tossed into the garbage.

That tiny little pain-in-the-ass will naturally glide back into its forebear, and then you can drag it to the edge of the bowl to slide that ****** out.

Alternatively, you can wet your finger and dab at it, but I've found the eggshell vs. eggshell method works better for me.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2017, 06:18:39 PM »
If you accidentally get a bit of broken eggshell in your uncooked egg ...

My granddad was, among his many military trades, once a cook in the army.

He told me a story about cooking powered eggs, and tossing a whole egg (shells and all) into the mix.

Soldiers got a bit of shell, were convinced they had fresh eggs, and bought the cook many rounds of beer.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2017, 06:19:17 PM »
If you accidentally get a bit of broken eggshell in your uncooked egg yolk/white in the bowl, you can remove it by using one of the half-shells that you hopefully haven't already tossed into the garbage.

That tiny little pain-in-the-ass will naturally glide back into its forebear, and then you can drag it to the edge of the bowl to slide that ****** out.

Alternatively, you can wet your finger and dab at it, but I've found the eggshell vs. eggshell method works better for me.
I just throw the entire bowl full of glop at the nearest wall with a few well chosen expletives and start afresh with a new bowl and egg.

Pottery shards can later be swept up and placed at the bottom of house-plant pots to allow for drainage. Alternatively, if you're crafty, you can make kitschy jewellery out of them and sell 'em for ridiculous amounts of money on Etsy.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »

I just throw the entire bowl full of glop at the nearest wall with a few well chosen expletives and start afresh with a new bowl and egg.

Pottery shards can later be swept up and placed at the bottom of house-plant pots to allow for drainage. Alternatively, if you're crafty, you can make kitschy jewellery out of them and sell 'em for ridiculous amounts of money on Etsy.

You can also use it to put fresh wallpaper up, if you're quick.

(Please note: this is not an officially sanctioned and numbered lifehack)

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
  • Today we are all root beer
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2017, 07:07:45 PM »

Literally 99% of taxis have navigation systems. If you say an address, they will type the address in the navi, and you will be able to go home. You don't have to have memorized every address in a city to be able to fully understand how addresses work.

It's the same in North America, too. You'll usually say which intersection or landmark the place you're going to is close to, and then you say where to go from there.

"Uh, yeah, can you take us to 123 Smith Road?" 
"Uh, sure, where's that?"
"Oh, it's close to like, 5th and Parkdale."
"Ah yeah, got it."

I had to double check if this was Steelrails or someone else. First insisting nothing is wrong in Korea, then insisting that it's ok for them to do something silly because it's just as bad as what Americans do.

I have been here 5 years and I have never gotten a taxi driver to use an address, even when I have it printed out in clear unambiguous Korean. They do not know addresses, and they are too damn lazy to look it up with their GPS things. Seems like they only use them to watch out for speed cameras. They will just throw a fit, refuse to use the GPS, and take you to somewhere on the opposite side of town just to be passive aggressive. They will only go by landmarks, -dong names, and intersections. Look at any business card for a business, on the back they usually have a little map with nearby intersections, and with directions from the nearest big intersection or nearby landmarks.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2017, 07:33:03 PM »
As someone with a car who has given rides to people and help them move and that sort of thing, with all that's going on when driving in Korea, the last thing I'd do is type in some long ass address in while I also have to drive and dodge scooters and pedestrians or pull to the side and get plowed into by some cement truck. I've actually had this happen where I'm taking someone somewhere and they start blabbering some address in badly accented Korean that's essentially indecipherable while being impatient about it. Just tell me what subway station you're by or start pointing me in the direction of something. Now, it's pretty easy if I'm pulled over and whoever I'm giving a ride to can competently pronounce Korean and has a rudimentary enough grasp of geography and direction to help me out. Then the navigation really helps. Of course the point of reference that you often get is terrible- "It's by the CU and the Lotte Mart." Thanks, that fing narrowed it down.

Also, your address is only as good as your Korean pronunciation.

Also, Seoul is a MASSIVE city and Korean cab drivers aren't paid enough to be street gurus.

Also, evidently someone knows how to find streets and addresses because food deliveries get made.

Lifehack- When giving directions, use a big and unique building or an apartment complex name, not fricking Lotteria.

Offline oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2017, 07:41:17 PM »
Grated cheddar from the supermarket can be squashed tightly together with your fingers to produce a block of cheese, ready for slicing or grating

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2017, 07:47:32 PM »
Grated cheddar from the supermarket can be squashed tightly together with your fingers to produce a block of cheese, ready for slicing or grating
Why would you compress it to grate it again?

Caution: sometimes pre-grated cheeses contain an anti-caking agent which makes it difficult to use in a sauce.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment