July 24, 2017, 07:45:23 AM

Author Topic: What was the 80s and 90s Korean ESL scene like?  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
What was the 80s and 90s Korean ESL scene like?
« on: June 20, 2017, 12:46:48 AM »
A while ago, a came across a very interesting thread somewhere on a few veteran's ESL adventures during the 80s and 90s. I skimmed a few posts and forgot about it. I have this urge to read it and can't find it anywhere so I thought I'd start a new one.

So, any veterans out there care to regale us with a few stories of the days of yore?

Offline donovan

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • 후레쉬
Re: What was the 80s and 90s Korean ESL scene like?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 01:13:47 AM »
and at what point did Millennials become a clear threat?

But really, someone said Korea was better before internet. What was that like?~

Offline Taal

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 02:26:14 AM »
A while ago, a came across a very interesting thread somewhere on a few veteran's ESL adventures during the 80s and 90s. I skimmed a few posts and forgot about it. I have this urge to read it and can't find it anywhere so I thought I'd start a new one.

So, any veterans out there care to regale us with a few stories of the days of yore?

Hm. I know a couple of people who were here in the 80's.

They say the stares were off the scale. People went into shock and gawked at you open-mouthed in the street

Offline KimDuHan

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 05:54:25 AM »
Back in the day everyone outside of seoul would watch you like a hawk! In paju and goyang every single person would stop what they were doing and stare you down!

Korean women though were crazy for foreigners. Many women would drag men into brothels or back alleys. The 90s were a different time.

Now everyone just plays on their cellphone and ignore everyone.

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 10:36:12 AM »
I heard there were a lot more Russians and French teaching English because back then the only requirement was "blonde hair and blue eyes." 

Offline donovan

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 10:46:30 AM »
Hm. I know a couple of people who were here in the 80's.

Peace Corps had an operation here through 1980~

Offline Subiaco

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 10:53:12 AM »
There's a former Korea Peace Corps volunteer in Daegu who returned a couple years ago.  He posts his pictures from his time as a volunteer on various Daegu facebook pages.  Pretty interesting!

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 10:57:37 AM »
If you want to read a few books, I recommend 'No Couches in Korea' by Keven Maurer or Korea: How you feel? by Manheim Wagner. Both are about the teaching experience in the 90's. No couches is good but with some flaws and the second one is a steaming pile of shit but it's like a car wreck you can't look away from. Makes for some very compelling reading. I read them each in a sitting.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 11:00:37 AM »
One of my former co-teachers was an elementary school student here in Korea in the late '80s and I remember she told me she used to attend an English hagwon back then that had one NET (a white American guy) whom she really liked a lot. After he left (although she didn't know why he left), the hagwon got a new English teacher (I guess another foreigner/NET? Not sure) whom my former co-teacher didn't think was as good as the previous NET, so she ended up quitting that hagwon. I guess that's the only experience I've been told about the Korean ESL scene in the '80s.

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 11:15:50 AM »

supposedly there was some famous german (?) song that featured monkeys back in the 90s, so kids used to just screaming monkey at foreigners non stop anywhere and everywhere.

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 11:18:01 AM »
One of my former co-teachers was an elementary school student here in Korea in the late '80s and I remember she told me she used to attend an English hagwon back then that had one NET (a white American guy) whom she really liked a lot. After he left (although she didn't know why he left), the hagwon got a new English teacher (I guess another foreigner/NET? Not sure) whom my former co-teacher didn't think was as good as the previous NET, so she ended up quitting that hagwon. I guess that's the only experience I've been told about the Korean ESL scene in the '80s.
:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Man, the 80s sound like a crazy time.

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 11:58:17 AM »
There are some posts on the Gusts of Popular Feeling blog about that time period.

http://populargusts.blogspot.com/2010/01/in-private-foreign-language-classes.html

Offline gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 01:13:07 PM »
and at what point did Millennials become a clear threat?

But really, someone said Korea was better before internet. What was that like?~
You wrote letters and sent photos home by mail. You got your news from new arrivals and newspapers when you could get them. You watched AFKN and learned all about good OPSECs and Tri-care.

You stayed up late to watch football if you were a fan. There was lots and lots and lots of drinking.

By better, I guess they mean people had to stick together more for information, entertainment, teaching advice and stuff like that. But I'mjust guessing.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 01:18:50 PM »
Most young people teaching here today wouldn't have lasted ten minutes back in the 80's without tinternet

Offline kwarnke13

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 03:18:13 PM »
:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Man, the 80s sound like a crazy time.

Lol I'm guessing they had nowhere near as much sarcasm back then either.

Offline Nokcha

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 03:26:54 PM »
A friend, who is a former Peace Corp member and who still lives in Korea, used to take a bus from Seoul to Gangneung. The ride was more than 16 hours.

I know a few who were part of Peace Corp, and though they don't talk too much about teaching English, but they do talk about witnessing and participating in the democracy movement in the 80's.

Next time we get together, I'll have to ask about their teaching experiences!

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan

Recent Lesson Plans

Movie Vocabulary Activity by eslkidz
[Yesterday at 05:30:44 AM]

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment