August 24, 2017, 06:33:49 AM

Author Topic: Around the World Camp  (Read 1689 times)

Offline rosewilde

• Explorer
Around the World Camp
« on: June 19, 2017, 05:56:02 PM »
I hope my materials can help anyone planning a camp at the moment. This was my first camp I  did in Korea for the 2017 winter vacation. It was a mix of grade 4's and 5's. I used my Bitmoji character in some places, so obviously replace with yours or put in an actual photo of yourself.

Offline rosewilde

• Explorer
Re: Around the World Camp
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 03:42:09 PM »
Day 2 - Homes and Canada

The second day we started with a slide show of homes around the world. That transitioned into a lesson about rooms in a home. We did a worksheet about what furniture goes where and what you might do in each room. There's a very cute Mickey Mouse cartoon also. (The look on Donald's face when he wakes up is my life.) The words "cartoon time" are a hotlink right to the Youtube video.

Next we played a listening game where they listened to pop songs for the vocabulary words. My co-teacher had given me this game. It's pretty cool. Make sure you have the music files in the same folder as the ppt to ensure they work. I will attach them in the next post

After that we made igloos out of sugar cubes. We didn't get the styrofoam balls in time, so the kids igloos ended up looking more like Cheomseongdae but they had fun.

Then we made s'mores. Binch + marshmallows. Easy peasy.

There's a slideshow about Canada. We didn't get a chance to go through all of it. I think I got carried away because I'm Canadian

Lastly we ended the day in  a mellow fashion with Canadian treasure Robert Munch. There's two versions of the story 50 Below Zero in the ppt. One is Munch reading it, the other is an animated version from the TV show with a catchy song. There is a worksheet as well

Apparently all of the files for Day two are too large, so here's a link to the Google Drive
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz-XYNNntg4PUDA4aHR6SXYtUWs
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:44:23 PM by rosewilde »

Offline rosewilde

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 04:07:15 PM »
Day 3 - Traditional Clothing and Famous Landmarks

Day three we talked about traditional clothes. First is a slideshow of different traditional clothing. The idea wasn't to talk about modern clothing we all wear, so it was a little difficult to come up with traditional clothes for the USA. After that we did worsheets were the students each got a paper doll from a different country, coloured it in and had the other students guess the country. We stuck them up on the wall. They were cute.

After that we did hanbok paper crafts. Originally I wanted to do real origami, but it was to complicated and hard to explain. These were much easier. But they did take longer than I expected. Use some cardboard to make stencils for their cirlcles, and make a lot. It was the sharing of stencils that took some time.

After that I did famous landmarks, just with flashcards and played a Carmen Sandiego landmark game with them.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 04:11:53 PM by rosewilde »

Offline rosewilde

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 04:46:32 PM »
Day 4 - India

This lesson was one of my favourites.  First we did a slideshow with info about India. It's such a large country with so many different groups of people, that it was hard to do it justice, but I picked some fun things.

The yoga lady is ~special~ but she got the job done. I had a hard time finding a video that wasn't assuming you were super flexible, understood the jargon and kept the language and pace at an ESL level. The picture of the woman in the blue onesie is a hotlink that will lead you right to the YouTube video.

After we watched a short scene from Dostana, a really funny Bollywood movie. Its a musical dance scene. Run it by your co-teacher though. For camp at one school, the co-teacher thought it was great and didn't care. I showed the clip at my other school, and that co-teacher wanted to only show a bit because she felt the men looking at Priyanka Chopra's bare midriff in her sari was too much... I dunno, I feel its fine because it's traditional dress, but... just check. The picture is a hotlink.

After that, we did Just Dance videos from YouTube. This was a hit! I was afraid they would be too shy to try but the did easy, medium and hard with reckless abandon! Then during break times they would beg to try more songs. I hope your kids like it too. Again, the world are hotlinks.

Next PB&J - this got really weird. My co-teacher brought deli meats, mustard and mayo and I couldn't figure out why. The kids tried the PB&J, said it was too sweet, then added the meat mustard and mayo TO THE PB&J! They were all exclaiming "맛있다". I politely declined when they offered me some.

There's a game in the ppt after that, but I skipped it.

Next, there are two short videos about expat Indian children, one from Canada and one from the US. Sanjay's Superheros is actually Pixar. I think Lights For Gita may be better though, because it has dialogue, here Sanjay does not. Gita's story also tied into the craft after, so if you pick one, I would go with Gita. There are worksheets if you want. Again, hotlinks on the page

The craft was pretty cool. We made clay peacock diyas. I gave them little scented tealights to take home and put inside with the firm promise that they were to ask their parents permission to use them.

Offline rosewilde

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 06:10:41 PM »
Sorry guys, life happened I forgot about uploading for a while. Hope I can still help those of you planning camp at the moment.

Day 5 - United Kingdom

The UK theme was pretty loose. When I submitted my plan I had grand ideas, but when it came down to the wire I didn't have time to come up with as much in depth material.

We started with souvenirs. I wanted to introduce the idea so that when we gave out prizes at the end of camp we could call them "souvenirs". It also created a bridge into the postcard writing section coming next. It goes briefly into past and future tense.  Then they design their own postcard. You can do this from scratch or I used a worksheet, that gave them a fill in the blank for what to write.

Next was a presentation on British culture. There are tongue twisters as a warm up. There are a lot included, so if you're kids are loving it, use them all, or skip some. Mine got frustrated by not being able to say them so we just moved on. I cobbled together the slides for this section from other ppts I found here on Waygook. Some of them could use a bit of editing, so if you have time, see if you can spice them up.

My co-teacher had found instructions on how to make "hard-boiled" eggs in the oven. Because it was her recipe I don't have instructions in my ppt, but I'm sure you can Google it. There's also a links to some YouTube videos and  to a Mr. Bean video I showed while the kids ate.

Lastly, we played Red Rover. I'm not sure it's truly all that British, but the kids loved it.

Offline rosewilde

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 05:24:16 PM »
Day 6 - USA

For this day we started out talking about flags. Why are they important and what do they represent. The first few slides they can just try to recognize and say different countries as they see the flags. There's answers with Hangul. After that are slides discribing what different colours can represent on a flag. If you have time, I would recommend tryng to take the time to find accurate Korean translations. My co teacher wasn't in the room for this part and the concepts are not ones you can really just mime. Then there's some examples of different flags and their symbolism. I then had the students design their own flags as well as their country's money and present them to the class. (The money comes into play later).

After that is a slideshow about America. Make sure to update the slide with the US currency with a correct currency exchange rate. Feel free to change the famous people to those who suit your interests. I guess you'll can change to slide about Barack Obama to the current president, although I did camp Day 6 on the 25th of January, so it does correctly say "former president" if you want to keep him in.

After that, we did pop songs. You'll notice the first pop song is the Beatles. My co-teacher really wanted to do that song, so I put it in, although we all know they are decidedly NOT American. Anyway, we didn't spend long on it because the students thought it was boring. What they did love was the next song, Cups (When I'm Gone), by Anna Kendrick. I went with the official  music video rather than a Pitch Perfect movie clip because needs less explaining and takes place in an American dinner, and shows  diverse people. They recognized the song and some of them already knew how to do the percussive cup beat. I guess it caught on here. Anyway they liked learning the words to the song, and absolutely loved practising with the cups.  I had gone out an bought some plastic cups, but it turns out my room had some from the speed cup stacking game. They were begging to continue and we ended up doing encores that day and the next! Try practising so you look like a boss when it's time to do this lesson!

After that was snack time. We took the money they designed and they had to "buy" the ingredients to make their dirt worms. We didn't end up doing the price exactly as the ppt showed. We made it so they had a some of their money left. Most of them chose to use some of it to buy extra gummy worms. But two frugal kids held on to their extra cash. They didn't know it was for souvenirs the next day. They just knew they wanted to have more money than their friends.

You'll see a slide about souvenir shopping at the end: we decided to move it to the last day. I had originally planned to do small knick-nacks they could buy on Day 6 and my co teacher had parting gifts for the end of Day 7, but we decided early on to get rid of Day 6 souvenir shopping. So, basically just ignore if you like.

Offline rosewilde

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 05:40:08 PM »
Day 7 - Last Day

We only did 2 periods for the last day. It was the day before Lunar New Year and everyone was itching to leave. You may have to pad this day out with more material.

Since the kids loved it, we did Cups one more time.

We then played A Pop VS K Pop. (yes, some of the "A Pop" is not American) This is an amazingly well made game and the kids loved it. Kudos to whoever created it.

After that we played Go Fish. The instructions I included are for a real deck of cards. My co teacher ended up bringing educational ones for kids. See what you have, but I personally think regular cards are great!

We had a bunch of marshmallows and Binch left over, so we made more S'Mores until they were done. Then the kids used the remainder of the money they had left to buy souviners. In all reality they were all going to get a little gift pack, but the kids with extra cash left from the day before could buy some extra pencils and erasers etc.

And that's all folks! I hope you have a smooth and memorable camp!

Offline jamjackson

• Waygookin
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 02:04:05 PM »
ty rosewilde!

Question - do you teach middle or elementary? I want to do the Just Dance game as a warm up for a dance themed summer camp I'm doing - your students seemed to take to it quickly!

Offline rosewilde

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 05:31:33 PM »
They are elementary. I was actually surprised they loved it so much. The camp kiddos liked the easier videos and during breaks we would find other fun ones.

I tried the India lesson during the school year and those kids loved doing the hardest ones in a class of 24 grade 5 boys and girls! I was shocked!

Offline lthomas23

• Waygookin
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 04:13:59 PM »
Rosewilde, can you upload the passport files, please? Everything looks great and I will be adapting your work for middle school!

Offline rosewilde

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 01:21:23 AM »
So when I planned my camp, these were available on this website for free. It looks like they've since started a membership system. I'm not sure if it's paid or not. I think if you search ESL passport activity, or something like that you'll find some free ones.

https://www.activityvillage.co.uk/passport-for-kids

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment