September 21, 2017, 10:38:09 AM

Author Topic: 20 Hour Classroom EFL Course (JLP)  (Read 551 times)

Offline Ezra89

• Waygookin - I can PM now!
20 Hour Classroom EFL Course (JLP)
« on: June 19, 2017, 04:37:27 PM »
In order to qualify for a position with JLP, I need to complete a 20 hour in-class TEFL course. I've heard that some institutions in Korea offer this course over a weekend, but I can't find any useful information about it online. Does anyone know any information about this course in Korea / can you you recommend any institutions offering it? Thanks in advance!

Offline thunderlips

• Expert Waygook
Re: 20 Hour Classroom EFL Course (JLP)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 06:38:39 PM »
Are you teaching now, I think there is a clause if you have experience you won't need the 20 hrs TEFL. I could be wrong but it might be worth it to ask a recruiter. These guys have always been stellar with me:
http://www.canconx.com/
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 11:42:05 AM by thunderlips »

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 03:11:14 PM »
I don't think most places enforce this rule anyhow.  It's virtually impossible to get folks with it anyhow seeing as no place in Korea offers a TESOL classroom anyways here.  Stupid that Korea tries to ask for one and then gives no one a chance to actually take one.  If there were a weekend course or something I would have signed up for it.  I think there's a CELTA in Seoul on weekdays which is great if you don't work days and live in Seoul.  But, for most of us scattered throughout Korea and also working different hours, it's obviously next to useless.  I even emailed them suggesting weekend courses or even teaming up with a regional uni like Daejeon or somewhere and offering it on weekends.  (BE easier for most folks to travel there than up to Seoul.)  Never got a reply.  Bunch of stupid ****! 

Offline Ezra89

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 05:38:24 PM »
Are you teaching now, I think there is a clause if you have experience you won't need the 20 hrs TEFL. I could be wrong but it might be worth it to ask a recruiter. This guys have always been stellar with me:

Yes, Iíve been with EPIK for a few years now, so it seems a bit unnecessary. Thanks for your help, I'll get in touch with them.

Offline Ezra89

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 05:50:03 PM »
I don't think most places enforce this rule anyhow.  It's virtually impossible to get folks with it anyhow seeing as no place in Korea offers a TESOL classroom anyways here.  Stupid that Korea tries to ask for one and then gives no one a chance to actually take one.  If there were a weekend course or something I would have signed up for it.  I think there's a CELTA in Seoul on weekdays which is great if you don't work days and live in Seoul.  But, for most of us scattered throughout Korea and also working different hours, it's obviously next to useless.  I even emailed them suggesting weekend courses or even teaming up with a regional uni like Daejeon or somewhere and offering it on weekends.  (BE easier for most folks to travel there than up to Seoul.)  Never got a reply.  Bunch of stupid ****! 

I know, right?!? I figured it wouldíve been offered at a uni in Seoul or even a few regional ones (as you mentioned), and Iíve been searching the interwebs for days with zero luck. I do have the option of completing it whilst Iím at home and between jobs, but I would much prefer to just get it over and done with in Korea.

Offline belo horizonte

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 06:37:57 PM »
I had to get the 20 hour in-class TEFL last year, and the easiest option was to do it in Hong Kong, so I did it there. As for the course, it was fairly cheap, the teacher was good and most participants seemed to get something out of it.

https://www.i-to-i.com/tefl-courses/20-hour-tefl-course.html

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:40:22 PM by belo horizonte »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 06:40:15 PM »
Are you teaching now, I think there is a clause if you have experience you won't need the 20 hrs TEFL. I could be wrong but it might be worth it to ask a recruiter. This guys have always been stellar with me:

Yes, Iíve been with EPIK for a few years now, so it seems a bit unnecessary. Thanks for your help, I'll get in touch with them.

Bump for Canadian Connections. Used them to get into JLP as a newbie with no TEFL in class hours (though I had part time teaching experience in an unrelated subject).

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 11:34:25 AM »
Unless the rules have changed recently or something, if you have previous public school teaching experience in Korea (which you said you do), then the requirement to complete a 20 hour in-class TEFL course should be waived for you.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment