June 24, 2017, 07:47:20 AM

Author Topic: Not being giving full vacation Q...  (Read 741 times)

Offline littlelena

• Explorer
Not being giving full vacation Q...
« on: June 19, 2017, 03:58:23 PM »
Hey guys,

So I need some advice, if anyone has any.

I have 9 days for summer vacation, but my school has an extremely short summer break...11 days plus the weekends. I still have to do a week of summer camp, so that leaves 7 days for me to go on vacation. My vice principal is allowing me to leave 2 days early since there will be no classes on those days. However, the office of edu is saying that I cannot do that. Instead, I can have 4 half days at work to make up the lost vacation time.

If they offered overtime instead, I would be happier. But giving me half days really screws me over because I lose lesson planning time, and I still have camp materials to make.

Is this fair? Can I fight this? Do a half days count as vacation days?

Offline chrislis90

• Adventurer
Re: Not being giving full vacation Q...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 04:03:10 PM »
That sounds quite odd. Do you want to take all of the 9 days in the summer? If not, you should ask if you could add the remaining days to your winter vacation.

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 04:03:48 PM »
Is this a hakwon situation? 

Offline littlelena

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 04:05:27 PM »
No, I am with EPIK but I work in a private school.

We have 18 days vacation. I took 9 in the winter and now I have 9 more.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 04:22:45 PM »
Are you a late intake? I don't see how they'd be able to give you 4 half days unless you're coming back or to give you half days before summer? If you're not re-signing fight for those days, they tried to pull that bs on me so I'd have 5 days summer vacation but you have to fight back to get it, tell them to shorten their camp because you need to get your vacation in. It would blow to not be able to have full days off and just take half days, especially when they owe you vacation time. If you are re-signing then you might not want to fight as much, but if you don't stand up for yourself now then they'll probably walk over your vacation next year too.

Don't go in yelling at them, but explain that because of your vacation times, you need them to shorten their camp, half days in the semester won't cut it.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 04:28:03 PM »
Odd. If your VP approved it, I'm not sure why your office of Ed is blocking this motion. Did you ask them or did they contact you?

I would check your contract for specifics. I'm in a different program and while mine says vacation days are only to be taken during breaks, there's also a vague clause where my principal has discretion in allowing paid or unpaid leave at other times as long as it doesn't interfere with the school schedule.

Also, I'd at least politely put up some resistance against this half day nonsense. I get splitting up vacation time into days here and days there isn't preferable either but half days takes it too far.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 04:32:01 PM by yirj17 »

Offline nakdong

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 04:30:32 PM »
Completely agree with Kriztee. The holidays are your time, not theirs. They have no right to take them from you, they will have to change to accommodate your time off. One question though, my contract allows for '10 in winter, 8 in summer'. If yours is the same they may only have to give you eight, but for the sake of the validity of all our public school contracts please tell them you'd like what the contract promises. Good luck!

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 04:30:36 PM »
Why is the Office of Ed. involved?  I don't follow that at all.

This is between you and your school.

4 half days does not equal 2 days of vacation...F'that!

Ignore the Office of Ed. and abide by the terms agreed upon with your school.

If you hadn't used any of your vacation days, they would have a valid point.  However, you used half during the winter, so they need to be reasonable.

Best of luck.

IIWM, I would stick to my guns, as airfare is expensive, so if I am going to fly somewhere, it needs to be a decent length of time to make it worth it.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 04:36:48 PM »
I agree with yirj17 about why your Office of Education is getting involved with all this.  You do the NEIS, or your co-teacher does NEIS and it gets signed off by the principal and VP.  It is nothing to do with them.  Did you contact the OoE first when your school said you'd not get all 9 days together? 

Generally, going home early from school (that is not a sick day or official school thing) would count as paid holiday.  Some people might go home early on a test day, and if the paperwork is done properly, I'd be classed as 3-4 hours of paid time.  This is all totalled up and the end of the year and adjusted as necessary.  So if you quit a contract early, you get prorated holiday pay.

I also agree with Kriztee about being careful with picking your battles, but tell them you are entitled to your 9 days, so something should be shortened.  BUt by the sounds of it, it isn't your school that is kicking up the fuss.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 04:41:38 PM »
IDK if it's different with a private school, but as I understand it, the length of the camp is not decided by the school, but the office of education, so asking the school to shorten their camp probably won't work. I would call the office of education and explain the situation directly.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 04:51:32 PM »
IDK if it's different with a private school, but as I understand it, the length of the camp is not decided by the school, but the office of education, so asking the school to shorten their camp probably won't work. I would call the office of education and explain the situation directly.

My city has a 'private' boys middle and normal boys middle.  There is no real difference between them classwise or how they treat their foreign teachers.  Korean teachers can work at the 'private' school for as long as they want, that is one difference, as most of the teachers have been there 7 years+, some as many as 14 years.  If you have an EPIK contract and it states that you get 9 days in the summer, which you are not being given, then you are right to kick up a fuss.  Your school has already given you a reasonable thing by giving you two days off at the start so why the OoE is blocking that, makes ZERO sense. 

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 04:56:10 PM »
Camps are most definately decided by your school if you're doing a school camp. The school board can decide on a city camp length which can't be changed by the school, but if the school runs a camp then the school decides the length. Some cities are different and the schools choose their camps and deal directly with the English teacher, some cities the schools tell the office of education how long their camp is and if their NET doesn't have enough time to teach, they'll ship in another NET. With a private school I doubt they'd send another NET to the school but that's what's happening with one of my schools because I don't have time to do all the camps they wanted and I straight up told them I don't have time.

If you call the city education office, you might not get someone who speaks great English, if you call the POE/MOE, they'll probably side with the school. Your best bet is to talk it out with the school.

I recommend the talk incorporate the phrases "I can't" and "It's impossible" as much as possible ;)

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • The octopus has a big clock.
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 05:09:55 PM »
Ya, don't do the half days. Make it about money.

Schools would much rather us not be at school than pay extra.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline scholes

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 09:22:24 PM »
It's little known but like everywhere, the school has to pay you out for those vacation days you didnt use.

Ask them if they gna pay it out next time you in a meeting.

Recent Lesson Plans

Naver's textbook vocabulary lists by LouiseH
[Yesterday at 11:51:19 PM]

BTS Bomb Game Template by cjcar
[Yesterday at 10:14:45 PM]

Naruto Mystery Scroll Bomb Game by sheean
[Yesterday at 01:51:33 PM]

Pirates VS Ninja Bomb Game Template by sheean
[Yesterday at 01:35:53 PM]

Moana Camp by rapa55
[Yesterday at 12:56:52 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade