October 21, 2017, 04:02:16 PM

Lesson Plan Downloads

Lesson Plan Downloads:  Full access to Lesson Plans are available with a subscription; monthly and yearly options are available for your convenience.  Click here for Subscriptions (You can also click here for details)

Author Topic: Teaching other teachers  (Read 911 times)

Offline Skyehawks

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Veteran
Teaching other teachers
« on: June 19, 2017, 11:41:11 AM »
So this post is a cross between job issues and lesson plans.

Last Friday I was told that for the first time since I have joined this school since last year a teacher wants after school English lessons.

The trouble is I was only told what teacher wanted it.

Not, when I have to give lessons, what type of English she is looking to learn, or where the lessons would take place.

Now I am fine with teaching others English.

But I need more than just "hey next week so and so teacher wants after school lessons."

I have no idea when I start or where to start with lessons.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
Re: Teaching other teachers
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 11:55:24 AM »
Just use the first lesson as a needs analysis. Prepare some getting to know you stuff plus some questions about what kind of lessons they want.

Offline maximmm

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 12:43:42 PM »
Yep -do her English assessment via a speaking/listening/reading/writing test, ask her what she is interested in learning and do a self-intro. 

Offline oli125

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 12:59:47 PM »
Personally i wouldn't do it unless you have a really easy schedule already or if it is stipulated in your contract. If she wants to learn English she can go to an academy and pay for it. If you have to do it I'd make the lessons really hard, then that way she will prob want to stop after a week or two and you get your free period back:)

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 03:52:41 PM »
I guess maybe ask your co-teacher to ask the teacher who is interested in having after school English lessons from you (or ask this teacher directly, if possible) what type of lessons and what type of English she is interested in learning so that you'll have a better idea of how to prepare and what to prepare for these lessons (that is, if you do end up giving this teacher after school lessons).

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 04:07:35 PM »
Public school or hagwon?

It's pretty common at public schools to guilt the NET into doing free conversation classes with Korean teachers/staff in the lazy afternoons after the kids go home. I did it at my first school, I didn't mind doing it because it was that or deskwarm. I'd sit around with a bunch of Korean staff and teachers (whose English was quite good, why were they working in the cafeteria? Oh, right, because this is Korea...) and we'd just sit around eating snacks and gossiping. Then after a few weeks of this suddenly they were "too busy" and stopped coming, so I went back to deskwarming.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 04:09:07 PM by MayorHaggar »

Offline fishead

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 04:33:14 PM »
 I used to do these. I would get two textbooks one is LIZ Korea Lets Argue and the other one is Small Group Discussion Topics by Jack Martire. These books are topically based. on the first day photo copy the index of these books and give them out to the students. Give them a few days to decide on the topics. The first day i would just do ice breaking activities. Show goofy funny pictures of you travelling around Asia. usually a token picture of you eating something strange like San noji or riding an Elephant in Thailand.

Another thing you can do and i've done it in the past is arrange field trips to mountains and temples. Korean public school teachers really like doing this. i've also met them in coffee shops and even sometimes Hofs. Lots of the teachers just want to have a good time and show you Korean culture.

Whatever you do is. unless you are a super whiz at grammer avoid teaching grammar lots of Korean teachers will ask you questions like what is the difference between who and whom. if that is your specialty by all means do it. Otherwise if they want that you will really need to brush up on it. Buy the Azar set

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 04:58:52 PM »
If it's during school time they should be paying you for it as an overtime hour (if you already have 22 hours a week). I do a teachers class once a week with about 10 members, usually 7 or 8 actually show up. We're doing a book club starting next week. So far we did introductions, cultural lessons, free talking, and some lessons off http://www.breakingnewsenglish.com/

Don't sweat the first class, make it a conversation class to gauge levels, talk about what the teacher wants to do. I really suggest breaking news english because it's a good jumping off point for conversation classes, and there are lots of articles you can use.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 05:57:08 PM »
There are a lot of lesson resources on waygook for planning and teaching lessons to teachers.

This one, for example, is pretty darn awesome.  :wink:

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 11:46:06 PM »
I used to do these. I would get two textbooks one is LIZ Korea Lets Argue

"Only Korea has four distinct seasons!"
"No it doesn't, many countries have four seasons."
"You are wrong, I saw it on Naver!"
"But see, in Japan..."
"Did you say Sea of Japan??????"

Buy/Sell/Trade