June 24, 2017, 04:16:19 AM

Author Topic: Koreans faced with an irrepressible threat of Extinction  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
Re: Koreans faced with an irrepressible threat of Extinction
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 01:57:36 PM »
True. No womam could possibly want the social interaction, sense of purpose, financial independence and feeling of worth a job rings, Not when they can make babies . Babies are so cute.

Sure people want a career and some kind of purpose.

That doesn't ignore the fact that if you dropped 100 million on someone they'd suddenly be okay with having a large family because they could run their charity from their bed and have the nanny look after the kid, the maid clean the house, and their secretary handle other minutiae.

The point is that economic (and time) scarcity is probably one of the biggest factors. And as eggieguffer said, everyone wants to party. Now, with technology, if you had it cheap where you could freeze your embryos and have your baby born in an artificial womb (with no chance of defects) thus eliminating the pain of childbirth and giving the freedom to choose the day, and then combine that with economic prosperity, people would have kids.

It's pretty simple. People like money, don't like pain, do like to get drunk and party.

social interaction, sense of purpose, financial independence and feeling of worth a job rings

Dude, for 95% of people, you drop a mountain of cash on them and they're telling their job to eff off. Sure they might start a different job, but that job would allow them to have kids and drop by the office at 2pm and leave at 5pm after signing some papers and making a few imperious decisions regarding office decor.

Offline gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 03:56:15 PM »
True. No womam could possibly want the social interaction, sense of purpose, financial independence and feeling of worth a job rings, Not when they can make babies . Babies are so cute.

Sure people want a career and some kind of purpose.

That doesn't ignore the fact that if you dropped 100 million on someone they'd suddenly be okay with having a large family because they could run their charity from their bed and have the nanny look after the kid, the maid clean the house, and their secretary handle other minutiae.

The point is that economic (and time) scarcity is probably one of the biggest factors. And as eggieguffer said, everyone wants to party. Now, with technology, if you had it cheap where you could freeze your embryos and have your baby born in an artificial womb (with no chance of defects) thus eliminating the pain of childbirth and giving the freedom to choose the day, and then combine that with economic prosperity, people would have kids.

It's pretty simple. People like money, don't like pain, do like to get drunk and party.

social interaction, sense of purpose, financial independence and feeling of worth a job rings

Dude, for 95% of people, you drop a mountain of cash on them and they're telling their job to eff off. Sure they might start a different job, but that job would allow them to have kids and drop by the office at 2pm and leave at 5pm after signing some papers and making a few imperious decisions regarding office decor.
Nothing is that simple.

Well, maybe your thinking.

Offline rinjy

• Explorer
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 06:26:04 PM »
I'm just putting this out there because it doesn't really come up alot when I talk to people about the idea of having children, but not just in Korea, around most of the world's biggest economies could a factor also be that having a child just is not appealing?
Take the pain, monetary, and time investments out of the equation, some people just don't want to be a parent for the rest of their lives and recognize that.

You could give all the money, advantages, and perks to having a child to some people and they still just wouldn't want to have a child. Personally, you couldn't pay me the entire wealth of the world to have a child or in some cases to even adopt one because I just don't want to be and don't find myself suited to be a parent. And because of my lot and privledges I've had in life growing up, I don't need to be a mother nor am I being forced to (for some sort of societal or survival reasons).

Countries all over the world are struggling to ensure their populations and how to deal with that but I think its more about established governments wanting to keep the status quo then any real attachment to keeping races/ethnicities alive. Koreans won't disappear, their genetics won't just poof in thin air. It'll be like one giant melting pot due to our ability to travel and connect now. If anything its one of the aspects that could help humans from epidemics and our dependence on antibiotics etc.

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 06:39:47 PM »
I'm just putting this out there because it doesn't really come up alot when I talk to people about the idea of having children, but not just in Korea, around most of the world's biggest economies could a factor also be that having a child just is not appealing?
Take the pain, monetary, and time investments out of the equation, some people just don't want to be a parent for the rest of their lives and recognize that.

You could give all the money, advantages, and perks to having a child to some people and they still just wouldn't want to have a child. Personally, you couldn't pay me the entire wealth of the world to have a child or in some cases to even adopt one because I just don't want to be and don't find myself suited to be a parent. And because of my lot and privledges I've had in life growing up, I don't need to be a mother nor am I being forced to (for some sort of societal or survival reasons).

Countries all over the world are struggling to ensure their populations and how to deal with that but I think its more about established governments wanting to keep the status quo then any real attachment to keeping races/ethnicities alive. Koreans won't disappear, their genetics won't just poof in thin air. It'll be like one giant melting pot due to our ability to travel and connect now. If anything its one of the aspects that could help humans from epidemics and our dependence on antibiotics etc.

the whole Maslow's hierarchy of needs has dramatically shifted. people in the 21st century living in the developed world are much more concerned about self actualization as their primary need. things like having to belonging to an established community/family are falling away. children aren't seen a necessity anymore. it's a conscientious choice. it's a huge effort of course people will start to opt out when given a choice.

however, i think the trend for having babies will start to go up a little bit if people's relationships improve. if you have a loving family and supportive network, there's a good chance you'll want to continue that. same goes for a supportive society. in korea, i see a lot of mixed emotions about family. dislike of going back for holidays, strict adherence to mom's law, competition among friends. seems too stressful to want to continue that negativity.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
  • Today we are all root beer
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 08:07:53 PM »
"Irrepressible?"

Offline donovan

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 09:04:42 PM »
You know, like as in, "What happens when an irrepressible threat meets an implacable nation?" It's a. thing... can't believe you've never heard that before~

Was that really *tonite* already?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:12:05 PM by donovan »

Offline VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 11:18:21 PM »
Even if you factor out North Koreans in a future unification, and deny the adaptive response of future growth through relaxed immigration laws and increased mixed marriages,.....

Korea's population of 50 million will shrink to 10 million by 2136

Sweden has less than 10 million people and yet has a thriving language and culture.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 10:34:05 AM »
Even if you factor out North Koreans in a future unification, and deny the adaptive response of future growth through relaxed immigration laws and increased mixed marriages,.....

Sweden has less than 10 million people and yet has a thriving language and culture.

But do they know about Dokdo?

Offline Epistemology

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Philosopher extraordinaire
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 11:16:10 AM »

Those types like the Minjoo guy that was originally running around like a headless chicken over it are really just crazed ethnic nationalists of the same vein as those white supremacists predicting a similar extinction  of blue eyes and blond hair in the west by 2100. None of them seem to understand genetics and are caught up in their own backwards concepts of bloodlines and what they can see.
The more you know.

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 05:54:45 PM »
I've had a number of Korean friends do those DNA tests where they tell you your history.

From what I have seen, Koreans, Japanese, and Northern Chinese are all mixed. There probably isn't a Korean walking around without Chinese or Japanese blood.

Offline gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2017, 01:15:35 AM »
I've had a number of Korean friends do those DNA tests where they tell you your history.

From what I have seen, Koreans, Japanese, and Northern Chinese are all mixed. There probably isn't a Korean walking around without Chinese or Japanese blood.
Kind of like Sicilians?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcZCGMCDzbU

Offline pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2017, 02:42:58 PM »

Considering that most Korean clans were started by some Chinese castoff, not surprising. Also, up until maybe 150 years ago, the borders were a lot more fluid. People would cross where ever just to make a living, or escape from something. Just curious as to the percentages.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 02:45:57 PM by pkjh »

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2017, 05:33:14 PM »

Not to nitpick, but generally speaking, it would more accurate to say that Japanese folk have Korean ancestry rather than the other way around: several of the many ancient migratory routes that brought folk to the archipelago passed through the Korean peninsula.

Of course, if you're talking about more recent times, then yeah, the opposite would be true.

Recent Lesson Plans

Naver's textbook vocabulary lists by LouiseH
[Yesterday at 11:51:19 PM]

BTS Bomb Game Template by cjcar
[Yesterday at 10:14:45 PM]

Naruto Mystery Scroll Bomb Game by sheean
[Yesterday at 01:51:33 PM]

Pirates VS Ninja Bomb Game Template by sheean
[Yesterday at 01:35:53 PM]

Moana Camp by rapa55
[Yesterday at 12:56:52 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade