August 24, 2017, 06:33:18 AM

Author Topic: Korea to Lure More Skilled Foreign Workers  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
Re: Korea to Lure More Skilled Foreign Workers
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 11:44:23 AM »
We get some buckaroo?

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 12:02:43 PM »
The people in this thread seem pretty racist towards those from the Philippines and Malaysia - insecure about being one of the "cowboys"? It's not a bad move - get a qualified teacher from a poorer country and give them a decent wage rather than pour money down the drain funding a new white grad's yearlong Korean party while he/she puts off making use of their degree in business, psychology, history and whatever else.

"Skilled workers will no longer need to file new paperwork when they return to Korea but can simply refer to the documents they submitted when they first came here."

F - I N - A L L Y

Pretty racist yourself against whites aren't you?  No stereotyping on your part at all?

I'm sure the move would be for three reasons; to pay them less, get folks from SE Asia that some old ajossis can look down on while demanding they bow horrifically to them, and to find people that won't date or be as appealing to Korean women. 

As for calling us cowboys?  Sure, there are some.  Those are the backpackers looking for adventure and are far fewer in Korea than say in the 90's.  Most will go to less developed countries, backpack where ever.  Either way, most kids will still want a white person.  In my experience, kids get far more excited when they meet a white person.  Maybe not fair, but thems the breaks.  I can't see too many hakwons hiring Filipinos and Malaysians no matter how nice they may be. 

EPIK tried hiring some Indians in smaller towns due to shortages a decade ago.  But the Great Recession flooded the market for a time and put a quick end to that.  Those who already arrived got to stay but no more were hired.  But eventually even they were sent back. 

Most Koreans still want American English.  It's possible this government could try to kick out E2's - IE raids, downsize public school, etc.  But if kids and parents still want us around, then it's going to happen that we're still here.  Already, though, the numbers of E2's have fallen as many have gone back home or gone onto China and elsewhere.  Lots of jobs on the job boards here and on Dave's. 

Offline gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 01:30:51 PM »
If they're actually qualified, why not?

Some are already here working as teachers, some, at least, without visas and, one would assume, making less than visa holders.

Making it easier for them to get visas might get them better working conditions and pay. I'd say that's a positive.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 01:44:53 PM »
I'm sure the move would be for three reasons; to pay them less.

No, there's two reasons- this one and what I mention below.

This is such hooplah over nothing. As I said, the only Korean parents (the group with the ultimate power in this case) that will want Malaysians and Filipinos as their teacher will be parents in regional provincial schools who can't afford hakwons or don't have a native teacher at their public school. If they're in the big cities, they're probably as some sort of supplementary English caretaker at a kindergarten or some crap like that. Do you think "I want native accent" Korean mom who spends hundreds of bucks a month on English is suddenly going to go discount? She's more likely to buy a Malaysian knockoff handbag than go with a Malaysian ESL teacher.

Anyways, Korea doesn't "owe" you an ESL job. It's a free market. Step up yo game.

Regardless, yer jerbs are fine.

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 02:16:27 PM »
I'm sure the move would be for three reasons; to pay them less.

No, there's two reasons- this one and what I mention below.

This is such hooplah over nothing. As I said, the only Korean parents (the group with the ultimate power in this case) that will want Malaysians and Filipinos as their teacher will be parents in regional provincial schools who can't afford hakwons or don't have a native teacher at their public school. If they're in the big cities, they're probably as some sort of supplementary English caretaker at a kindergarten or some crap like that. Do you think "I want native accent" Korean mom who spends hundreds of bucks a month on English is suddenly going to go discount? She's more likely to buy a Malaysian knockoff handbag than go with a Malaysian ESL teacher.

Anyways, Korea doesn't "owe" you an ESL job. It's a free market. Step up yo game.

Regardless, yer jerbs are fine.

i don't disagree but it's def not a "free market". you can't easily quit and find new work, there isn't a real market here. you can't bargain your labor or what ever. most people just have to flee the country if they're stuck in something bad or wait months for the labor board to make a move.

Offline gidget

• Super Waygook
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 03:02:15 PM »
I don't think there's anything wrong with it; but if those teachers go into public schools it won't make a difference to the standard of English in Korea because they won't be teaching-TEACHING English. They'd be teaching English in ESLish style. I think they'd be more successful in hagwons.

English WORKS in the Philippines because the medium of instruction in public schools is English (I know, you can choose the medium but for the most part it's in English), and when English is taught it's formally taught IN ENGLISH. The textbooks are in English. The universities are in English and English is used in public. Opening up the employment pool is one thing but any expectations for it to make a difference to English education in Korea is something else.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 03:12:31 PM by gidget »

Offline maximmm

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »
English WORKS in the Philippines because the medium of instruction in public schools is English (I know, you can choose the medium but for the most part it's in English), and when English is taught it's formally taught IN ENGLISH. The universities are in English and English is used in public. Opening up the employment pool is one thing.

Expecting it to fix or make a difference to English education in Korea is something else.

To be fair, what has English gotten the Philippines?  It's the world's call center with a dirt-cheap pay. 
Malaysia isn't much better off - neither nation has particularly profited from helping its citizens gain fluency in English. 

As far as economics is concerned, it's pretty clear that English doesn't do much to boost the nation's economy. 
-  The waygook secretive moderator society  -
-    We do not forgive.  We do not forget.    -

My PPT stuff - http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,102847.0.html

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 03:19:28 PM »
English WORKS in the Philippines because the medium of instruction in public schools is English (I know, you can choose the medium but for the most part it's in English), and when English is taught it's formally taught IN ENGLISH. The universities are in English and English is used in public. Opening up the employment pool is one thing.

Expecting it to fix or make a difference to English education in Korea is something else.

To be fair, what has English gotten the Philippines?  It's the world's call center with a dirt-cheap pay. 
Malaysia isn't much better off - neither nation has particularly profited from helping its citizens gain fluency in English. 

As far as economics is concerned, it's pretty clear that English doesn't do much to boost the nation's economy.

I think that English Common Law is as (perhaps more) important than the language is.

The lack of predictability in Civil and Sharia Law discrouages investment.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 03:30:12 PM »
Can't speak for Phillipinos but I don't know why the Korean government thinks it'll get decent qualified English teachers from Malaysia. The British Council was involved in a huge project there recently (until the funding got cut after an election) to train local teachers and from what I've heard from people involved they ain't that great. Instruction is in the local language and methodology more backward than Koreans.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment