August 24, 2017, 06:28:46 AM

Author Topic: Otto Warmbier, Detained American, Is Evacuated From North Korea in a Coma  (Read 6634 times)

Offline gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
I might be missing something here but what has all of this got to do with Otto Warmbier?
Jester posted Obama didn't care about Otto because liberals didn't care about anyone but themselves and then went off on a tangent about the deficit, possibly due to a Fox News overload and I, unfortunately. answered him.

All apologies.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
You can't rob Peter to pay Paul.

Ifs and buts, I know.

You can't increase taxes and expect for it not to impact another part of the economy.

If incomes aren't "fixed" and money can simply be printed, OK, you're right, but until that happens, less money will be in people's hands.

Offline insulimted

• Veteran
I might be missing something here but what has all of this got to do with Otto Warmbier?
Jester posted Obama didn't care about Otto because liberals didn't care about anyone but themselves and then went off on a tangent about the deficit, possibly due to a Fox News overload and I, unfortunately. answered him.

All apologies.

Is there any indication that Obama did care about Otto?

Also, Obama and most environmentalists deny your argument when they say that high gas prices are better for the environment because they make people drive smaller cars and drive them less.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRzKutZMrHo

Offline gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
You can't rob Peter to pay Paul.

Ifs and buts, I know.

You can't increase taxes and expect for it not to impact another part of the economy.

If incomes aren't "fixed" and money can simply be printed, OK, you're right, but until that happens, less money will be in people's hands.
Until money can simply be printed? There's no until about that.

You overlook what the government does with the taxes and how that can affect the economy. They aren't just burying that money in the ground.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
gg,

Not sure why you wish to continue changing the subject...or the scenario.

You said the money generated by the fuel tax would be used to pay down the debt...

Is that no longer the case? ;)

Now, you are saying the government is going to spend it?

Which is it?

No, actually, I don't care.

You can continue to believe you are "right", but that will only make it so in your mind.

Offline gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan

All apologies.

Also, Obama and most environmentalists deny your argument when they say that high gas prices are better for the environment because they make people drive smaller cars and drive them less.
Is there any indication that he didn't?

Is there any indication that trump isn't being played by NK but that Obama was too smart for that? No one knows what concessions trump might have made to get Otto back. Maybe a Trump Hotel in NK?

Win-win--more taxes and less impact on the environment.

Besides, taxes that pay for roads and the like are going to have to evolve as better technology makes cars more and more fuel efficient.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
  • Today we are all root beer

All apologies.

Goddamnit!

Offline gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
gg,

Not sure why you wish to continue changing the subject...or the scenario.

You said the money generated by the fuel tax would be used to pay down the debt...

Is that no longer the case? ;)

Now, you are saying the government is going to spend it?

Which is it?

No, actually, I don't care.

You can continue to believe you are "right", but that will only make it so in your mind.
Both. By paying down the deficit it allows the government to use money servicing the debt in other ways.

The veiled insult--that sure shows you "don't care."

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
By paying down the deficit it allows the government to use money servicing the debt in other ways.

The veiled insult--that sure shows you "don't care."
Re-read what you wrote above...

You are making my point that you don't have a complete understanding of that which you speak.

Governments don't "pay down a deficit".  They pay down the debt.

No harm in being wrong, so long as you aren't giving financial advice.

Enjoy your evening.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
Guys guys guys...arguing about Trump vs. Obama on Warmbier is a big fail of overlooking the gold that is Dennis Rodman.

This thread should have been filled with Rodman jokes, not arguing over the deficit.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
Knowing Obama, he woulda sent over that intellectual priss Kobe Bryant. :rolleyes: Or worse, Arne Duncan :shocked:~

i tried to split it down the center

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
I'm thinking Obama would be a big advanced stats dork and send over someone like Daryl Morey with the hope that he'd bore KJE to death talking about the corner 3.

Offline Chester Jim

• Super Waygook
  • Getter Done

All apologies.

Woah there
First it's Chester not jester.

Second your history of this thread is way off,  must be too much Rachel Maddow.

So I said
Obama doesn't care, and side point, the indication would be Otto sitting in a nk jail. 
You went off on the tangent about republicans wanting to steal everybody's Medicare .

Then I said no they don't and that Medicaid care and ss are bankrupting the country and something has to be done like, shifting the responsibility to the states
Also democrats essentially promise free stuff for votes ..

So I apologize for responding to your Medicaid scare tactic and going of course . 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 02:36:25 AM by Chester Jim »
Bonzai!

Offline KimDuHan

• Hero of Waygookistan
Well his "botulism" killed him.

The lesson learned from Otto is dont go to north Korea!

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
I think the lesson here is don't take things that don't be long to you.

This whole story hasn't deterred me from wanting to go to North Korea.  Except I would just like to go there for 3 days only.  Staying there too long I feel I might "take a picture deemed inappropriate" and be held up in the country.  I think 3 days is good and plenty to do that country.  Being as it looks so much like my neighborhood here in Korea anyways. 

Offline KimDuHan

• Hero of Waygookistan

This whole story hasn't deterred me from wanting to go to North Korea.  Except I would just like to go there for 3 days only.  Staying there too long I feel I might "take a picture deemed inappropriate" and be held up in the country.  I think 3 days is good and plenty to do that country.  Being as it looks so much like my neighborhood here in Korea anyways.

Did he actually steal anything though, he could of been framed or forced to steal on camera. No one except the north korean government knows.

Hell, people didn't even know he was in a coma!

Offline plan b

• Veteran

The video of the alleged theft of is so grainy that we don't actually know if its him, or if its a set up and they just wanted to abduct and American.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkqHUToXHic

Offline insulimted

• Veteran

All apologies.

Is there any indication that he didn't?

Is there any indication that trump isn't being played by NK but that Obama was too smart for that? No one knows what concessions trump might have made to get Otto back. Maybe a Trump Hotel in NK?

Win-win--more taxes and less impact on the environment.

Besides, taxes that pay for roads and the like are going to have to evolve as better technology makes cars more and more fuel efficient.

Here is your "win-win"

Win 1 - The government can collect a predictable amount of money by raising the tax on gasoline, because higher taxes do not reduce consumption.

Win 2 - The government can help the environment by raising taxes on gasoline, because higher taxes do reduce consumption.

Even poor Otto, in his current state, knows something is wrong with your thinking.

Offline tanis62458

• Veteran
aww.  dude died.   :-[

Offline Epistemology

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Philosopher extraordinaire

The video of the alleged theft of is so grainy that we don't actually know if its him, or if its a set up and they just wanted to abduct and American.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkqHUToXHic

Wouldn't be the first time.
The moral of the story is that if you go to a batshit crazy country, then prepare for the worst to happen, because if their officials wake up on the wrong side of bed, you can bet that there's a fair chance that you will be the unlucky bastard they decide to pick on and make a political statement with.

For what its worth, Obama did the right thing by leaving him there. Hopefully the poor lad did not die for nothing and he serves as a reminder to any would be western explorer looking to reenact a 19th century style journey to the great unknown that NK is not a place any sane person should ever travel to.
Have you got yourself into the kind of mess that starts a diplomatic crisis? Don't expect your homeland to ride to your rescue on a white horse.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 11:09:13 AM by Epistemology »
The more you know.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment