September 20, 2017, 08:14:14 PM

Author Topic: Schools and air con.  (Read 7523 times)

Offline Maclean

• Veteran
Re: Schools and air con.
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2017, 01:13:03 PM »
bricks and mortal?

mortar?

:rolleyes:

Offline natmossy

• Veteran
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2017, 04:51:17 PM »
It's unbearable when co-teachers you share an office with don't want the AC on. I share an office with one other English teacher. She's young and gets cold easily. I find it very uncomfortable. It's annoying and she's noticed that I turn it on when she leaves the room. Now that exams are over, she will be in the office more. It's a difficult thing to talk about though.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2017, 04:56:06 PM »
It's unbearable when co-teachers you share an office with don't want the AC on. I share an office with one other English teacher. She's young and gets cold easily. I find it very uncomfortable. It's annoying and she's noticed that I turn it on when she leaves the room. Now that exams are over, she will be in the office more. It's a difficult thing to talk about though.

Why not just compromise and open the windows and turn the fans up to max?

If there aren't any fans there, though, then she's being insanely unreasonable. Or if she wants the windows closed.

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2017, 05:05:25 PM »
30+ degrees, 70% humidity, a/c blocked from the main office. Guess I need a fan that plugs in that also is a fridge so I can crawl up in it.

After 6 classes I am just melting in this tiny office. If only it was windy out that would help a bit.

Offline natmossy

• Veteran
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2017, 05:21:11 PM »

If there aren't any fans there, though, then she's being insanely unreasonable. Or if she wants the windows closed.

Right..so in May and maybe the beginning of June there was still a breeze coming in, but for the last 3-4 weeks, as it's been getting hotter and more humid, the breeze is gone. You know summer isn't very breezy in Korea. The windows are closed and even if they were open it wouldn't make a difference. Also, there are no fans in our office. Actually, I believe the largest teachers office also doesn't have fans...which is kinda weird. When they don't have the AC on in there, it's very stuffy and warm. Yeah, I'm going to have to talk about it next week. We still have some time left here before and during camp, and it's hot until the end of September here. :(

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2017, 05:28:42 PM »

Right..so in May and maybe the beginning of June there was still a breeze coming in, but for the last 3-4 weeks, as it's been getting hotter and more humid, the breeze is gone. You know summer isn't very breezy in Korea. The windows are closed and even if they were open it wouldn't make a difference. Also, there are no fans in our office. Actually, I believe the largest teachers office also doesn't have fans...which is kinda weird. When they don't have the AC on in there, it's very stuffy and warm. Yeah, I'm going to have to talk about it next week. We still have some time left here before and during camp, and it's hot until the end of September here. :(

Ohhhh that's gross. No fans or aircon is disgusting sounding.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2017, 05:38:19 PM »

When you put it on, what temperature do you prefer?

I also share an office with always cold co teachers, so we now only put it on 24-27 degrees. It helps with the humidity, they aren't cold, and I bought a fan to help cool me down.

Maybe thats her problem. You can still make it a little more comfortable for the both of you. Good luck!

Offline Maclean

• Veteran
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2017, 05:39:44 PM »
#Basedcowboy dude, although I'm new to this site I can't be alone in wishing you'd drop that attachment at the bottom of your post. Not only does it take up unnecessary space, but it's not even something worth posting, let alone reading. What does it add to anything?

If you want your posts to stand out from others, surely you can think of something better than that. Being a uni grad and all that.

Just my two cents.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 05:59:39 PM by Maclean »

Offline natmossy

• Veteran
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2017, 05:44:47 PM »

I also share an office with always cold co teachers, so we now only put it on 24-27 degrees. It helps with the humidity, they aren't cold, and I bought a fan to help cool me down.

Maybe thats her problem. You can still make it a little more comfortable for the both of you. Good luck!

24 is actually quite cold in my office, but not uncomfortably so..at least for me. It goes through cycles where it gets cool, then warmer. Also, I always set it on the lowest strength. Anyways, it's too cold for her apparently. Higher settings don't get rid of the humidity...for me..

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2017, 07:42:33 PM »
#Basedcowboy dude, although I'm new to this site I can't be alone in wishing you'd drop that attachment at the bottom of your post. Not only does it take up unnecessary space, but it's not even something worth posting, let alone reading. What does it add to anything?

If you want your posts to stand out from others, surely you can think of something better than that. Being a uni grad and all that.

Just my two cents.

I think its fine. I mean he IS basedcowboy. What have you got against rappers?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 07:44:52 PM by Mr.DeMartino »

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2017, 12:43:43 PM »

Why so difficult?  You can explain the heat bothers you.  So, you both compromise and take turns.  That's what mutual respect is.  Let it be hot for a while; let it be cool for a while.  I shared an office with a teacher at one of my elementary's last year in the afternoon.  He'd turn it on but in a way that it never really felt on.  He'd keep it at 27 degrees.  Insane, really!  I'd put it down to 23 or 24 ish for a while.  We compromised.  Let the room get hot for a while and then let it cool down for a while.  Take turns.  (He's got a South African there this year.  Many of them seem to like the heat a lot more than those of us from Northern climates.  On the downside, they prob hate the cold and get uncomfortable is the heat isn't turned on right away.)

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
  • Today we are all root beer
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2017, 01:06:42 PM »
Teaching in the summer in the US or at a hagwon:

Teaching in the summer at a Korean public school:

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2017, 01:32:25 PM »
He'd keep it at 27 degrees.  Insane, really! 

27 is INSANE! Lol, dude seriously, that's like a normal summer day. It's not the crazy hot temperature you think it is.

Regardless, the OP should work out some sort of compromise. But always try to understand that as uncomfortable as you find the heat and humidity, others find the cold of the A/C and the dryness it can do to their sinuses and skin.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2017, 01:57:35 PM »
He'd keep it at 27 degrees.  Insane, really! 

27 is INSANE! Lol, dude seriously, that's like a normal summer day. It's not the crazy hot temperature you think it is.

Regardless, the OP should work out some sort of compromise. But always try to understand that as uncomfortable as you find the heat and humidity, others find the cold of the A/C and the dryness it can do to their sinuses and skin.

That's what I said.  We compromised.  Cool for a while, hot for a while.  But the thermostat was at 27.  The sun hitting the top floor window at the right angle in the afternoon and the buildings being uninsulated actually meant it was closer to 30.  So, if I turned it down to 23 ish, it was 24 or 25.  (It's not like I try and keep it at 18 or anything.  I prob would have 10 years ago.) 

Offline natmossy

• Veteran
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2017, 04:49:36 PM »

Why so difficult?  You can explain the heat bothers you.  So, you both compromise and take turns.  That's what mutual respect is.  Let it be hot for a while; let it be cool for a while.  I shared an office with a teacher at one of my elementary's last year in the afternoon.  He'd turn it on but in a way that it never really felt on.  He'd keep it at 27 degrees.  Insane, really!  I'd put it down to 23 or 24 ish for a while.  We compromised.  Let the room get hot for a while and then let it cool down for a while.  Take turns.  (He's got a South African there this year.  Many of them seem to like the heat a lot more than those of us from Northern climates.  On the downside, they prob hate the cold and get uncomfortable is the heat isn't turned on right away.)

She knows...just pretends not to.

Last week she told me that air conditioner was giving her a headache. I wanted to laugh out loud because if anything, it would take away a headache! It's at 25 now. No one has touched it. 27 degrees? That's funny.

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2017, 04:54:02 PM »

Just my two cents.

Oi Oi Oi  nope nopety nope nope! Just back off newbie!!! We do what we want here after putting in our years..... *puts up fighting fists*  :wink:
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2017, 05:09:19 PM »

She knows...just pretends not to.

Last week she told me that air conditioner was giving her a headache. I wanted to laugh out loud because if anything, it would take away a headache! It's at 25 now. No one has touched it. 27 degrees? That's funny.

She knows because of body language or hinting or she knows because you told her?  Just tell her heat gives you a headache.  My school has been pretty good lately.  Teachers room we can adjust up and down.  Some keep it on 25, some put it down for a while (including me).  Ideally around 23 ish.  But it fluctuates between that and 24 and sometimes 25.  But, I'm also gone to the classroom quite a bit so that leaves the room at higher temps anyhow. 

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2017, 05:27:54 PM »

24 is actually quite cold in my office, but not uncomfortably so..at least for me. It goes through cycles where it gets cool, then warmer. Also, I always set it on the lowest strength. Anyways, it's too cold for her apparently. Higher settings don't get rid of the humidity...for me..

There was some energy saving phase that was going on here about 5 years ago and lasted for about 3 or 4 years.  Was awful.  The official rule for government offices was 26 to 28 (26 degrees if there was food around) and to leave about 70% humidity in the air.  I was livid and even many Koreans were complaining.  It was said, many dept store sales were down because of it.  I'd go to Seoul in the summer and walk around in the heat and humidity and then go inside to try and cool off.  Except there was no cooling off.  Add in crowds and uninsulated buildings and minimal elimination of humidity.  It was really closer to 29 or 30.  So after a few hours of not being able to cool down, it was horrible.  Schools and public buildings would try to do this as well.  Though some schools during this time were pretty good about going lower.  (They'd keep getting crap from the ed office about their bill at the end of each summer though.)  Nowadays, at least, most of the private businesses seem to have disregarded this and many schools will show flexibility.

I should add the winter when the temps got to 0 or near 0 outdoors there was an 18 degree rule with dry air being tolerated.  Of course most schools scrounging during the summer would have the heat on full blast come November.  (But I suspect some rural schools prob still didn't turn it on too much from what I remember.) 

Also, I remember when many schools had their own gas heaters which were quite warm.  But it was also about 5 years ago many of the stand alone air cons and the gas heaters were replaced with ceiling heating and air cons, which I think would be more expensive.  Not sure why they did that.  Maybe they wanted the finance offices to control strictly.  But the gas or oil heaters at least didn't use electricity.  They were pretty warm though.  I had to open a window sometimes with those on.  Two of my elementary school last year actually used the box radiators to heat their school.  One was just warm and pleasant.  Another school cranked the heat like no tomorrow and you couldn't turn it down.  I'd always get into debates with some co teachers when I kept the door or window open due to stifling and choking off the heat. 

On the bright side, when I use to have those schools in the countryside years ago that scrimped on the heat, I just wore my coat and warm slippers.  Never bothered me at all.  I don't brag about it because I know there are some people who can't stand the cold any more than I can stand the heat.  The kids always grabbed my arm or hand and would always comment on how warm I was.  I'm a natural heat generator.  Makes me great at handling the cold and terrible at handling the heat.   

Offline leaponover

• Veteran
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2017, 09:22:46 PM »
I honestly feel like AC is really, really nice and comfortable - and also completely unnecessary in most situations. I find it funny that the same people that complain about how manicured and artificial Korean parks are and stuff, because 'people don't want to ruin their makeup or their fancy clothes when they go out', and how people here complain about any little hardship, are also the first people to be like, "I love and need
aircon [because I don't want to be inconvenienced by having to endure slight discomfort due to heat]."

That said, of course aircon is comfortable and I also enjoy it. But it's certainly not a necessity in most cases. A lot of buildings are built with aircon in mind, or they wouldn't be habitable in the summer (think big glass skyscrapers), but yeah.

I don't know where you are located but his is highly presumptuous.  Especially for the elderly, high temperatures can be lethal.  Here in the southwest region it can definitely be dangerous to not have AC running.  This isn't about uncomfortable, it's about general safe temperatures.  I see this thread is from June but now that's it's July where I am it's absolutely necessary to have the AC running as a safety issue.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2017, 11:39:24 PM »
I honestly feel like AC is really, really nice and comfortable - and also completely unnecessary in most situations. I find it funny that the same people that complain about how manicured and artificial Korean parks are and stuff, because 'people don't want to ruin their makeup or their fancy clothes when they go out', and how people here complain about any little hardship, are also the first people to be like, "I love and need
aircon [because I don't want to be inconvenienced by having to endure slight discomfort due to heat]."

That said, of course aircon is comfortable and I also enjoy it. But it's certainly not a necessity in most cases. A lot of buildings are built with aircon in mind, or they wouldn't be habitable in the summer (think big glass skyscrapers), but yeah.

I don't know where you are located but his is highly presumptuous.  Especially for the elderly, high temperatures can be lethal.  Here in the southwest region it can definitely be dangerous to not have AC running.  This isn't about uncomfortable, it's about general safe temperatures.  I see this thread is from June but now that's it's July where I am it's absolutely necessary to have the AC running as a safety issue.

It's a miracle the human race for 99.9% of its history and much of the 3rd world to this day (most of it in hotter places than Korea) survives without the "necessity" of A/C.

How does someone graduate with a uni education thinking A/C is a necessity? Have you never seen pictures of people in the 1920s in suits in summer?

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment