August 20, 2017, 09:19:18 AM

Author Topic: Entrepreneur Korea: Dreams, Mindset, Business, Lifestyle  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Tony Teacher

• Veteran
  • Customer Service at www.flowergiftkorea.com
Entrepreneur Korea: Dreams, Mindset, Business, Lifestyle
« on: April 10, 2017, 11:15:49 AM »
Hi, I started another blog just for fun and for self-motivation. It's a blog created for entrepreneurs in Korea or people looking to become entrepreneurs in Korea. I just basically share my thoughts about my life in Korea as an entrepreneur in Korea.

If you are an entrepreneur or are curious about the entrepreneur life (at least from one person's perspective), check out http://entrepreneurkorea.com
Tony Choi AKA Tony Teacher - Customer Service at www.flowergiftkorea.com Blogger at www.entrepreneurkorea.com Admin at www.hagwonstart.com

Offline Noobie

• Explorer
  • I'll go if I don't have to talk.
Re: Entrepreneur Korea: Dreams, Mindset, Business, Lifestyle
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 02:00:27 PM »
Hi,

I think this is really great! I commend you for your honesty and having that kind of mindset and wanting to help and inspire others. I think it's really important to think beyond the 9-5 routine. I have also thought about starting a business here in Korea. Actually I wanted to start an online clothing store because I'm really into Korean fashion. The problem is that I don't speak Korean & I don't live in Seoul. Though yes, those are just excuses. But anyway, it's nice to know that there are people like you with your mindset in Korea, with a desire to help others do something different. With that said, I wish you all the best! :)
The past & future are only a play of thoughts -Nietzsche

Offline Tony Teacher

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 09:42:57 AM »
Awesome! Thanks for the encouragement! If it is an online business, then I think you can build something from where you are based. Are you blogging about fashion/clothes or creating content for your potential online clothes business anywhere? Any links I could visit? Just curious.
Tony Choi AKA Tony Teacher - Customer Service at www.flowergiftkorea.com Blogger at www.entrepreneurkorea.com Admin at www.hagwonstart.com

Offline Noobie

• Explorer
  • I'll go if I don't have to talk.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 12:50:17 PM »
No, I gave up, essentially. I don't feel inspired enough to do it, as I don't have consistency, which I think is really important when having a fashion blog. And I don't plan to stay longer in Korea. I think if I would have been living in Seoul it would've been a different story. I have other things in mind I want to accomplish at the moment. But if I move back to Korea it will be to Seoul and hopefully will start something. As I do think there is opportunity.
The past & future are only a play of thoughts -Nietzsche

Offline Tony Teacher

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 07:38:22 PM »
I see, I wish you all the best on the other things you want to accomplish. And there truly is a lot of opportunity in Korea. I believe there will be more and more small businesses run by English speaking people in Korea popping up soon.

Offline Tony Teacher

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 01:31:50 AM »
Business Success in Korea - Unexpected Sales and Opportunities

http://entrepreneurkorea.com/business-success-in-korea-unexpected-sales-and-opportunities/

In the above post, I share about where 15% of my sales come from and a job opportunity that came my way after opening up my English gyosoopso business in Seoul.

Offline freddyinkorea

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 03:13:03 AM »
Lol knowing anyone can start their own business.  15% of sales of a failing/net neg business is just that.  Sorry I didn't read your blog other than the link posted, but there is no positive gain for a reader without numbers (profit). 

I commend you for starting your own business, but without profit you really have nothing to blog about. 15% means noting to a reader, if you aren't turning a profit.

Offline Tony Teacher

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 07:37:40 PM »
Hi Freddy, thanks for commenting :)

Actually, the 15% represents the fact that 15% of my sales come from fans purchasing flowers and gifts for Korean celebrities. And there is a second story that mentions how starting my own English gyosoopso helped me land a 150,000won an hour business English teaching job on the side. And you are totally right, anyone can start a business. I like how you think 🙂 

However, I do not share any numbers regarding profit because I run the flower business with my wife. I do however share how much money I made running my English business on hagwonstart.com if you are interested. And I can tell you that since 2017, we've been making more money from the Flower business than when we ran our English gyosoopso.

The main purpose of my blog is to give some insight into the small business world in Korea to anyone interested because it is something I would have read and appreciated 5-6 years ago.

Offline naturegirl321

• Expert Waygook
  • Blogs at Tender Embrace Birthing
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 10:12:48 AM »
I just saw your Google reviews. Very impressive that replies to all of them and thanked them for their reviews. I'm sure a floral business is different than teaching but it looks like you'll go far!

I love supporting small businesses and here are some things I've seen that make a difference.

- They respond to all questions, comments, and reviews.
- They respond to PMs and emails quickly. There's nothing worse than seeing a business read your FB message and take forever to respond. Or not responding at all.
- When they get bad reviews, they don't argue. They say thanks and try to improve their business.
- Asking influential bloggers to review their products or services. It hard to get an honest review since people feel like they need to give a good review since they got it for free. The  best businesses ask the blogger to make at least one crítica suggestion to improve their business.
- They have emails they put out. But not once a day. Maybe once a week, once, or twice a month.
- They have giveaways and make people like their FB page, tweet, write a review about them, etc.
- They support other small businesses by blogging about them, giving shout-outs on their FB page, or using their products/services.
- They give stickers or candy to kids if they have a physical store.
- They have coffee, tea, water, and snacks if they have a physical store. If not al the time, at least around the holidays.
- They write thank you by hand on receipts.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 11:58:52 AM by naturegirl321 »
The best TEFL jobs in Korea on TEFL Tips.
Tender Embrace Birthing: childbirth classes, doulas, breastfeeding support, and info about giving birth in Korea

Offline Tony Teacher

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 01:55:30 AM »
Thank you naturegirl321 for the comments! My wife and I are doing our best to grow our business and it is a lot of fun. I reply to all of my reviews to thank them, and if I got some bad ones, I would still comment and be totally honest with them and those reading the reviews.

Thank you for the tips. I definitely have to consider implementing some of them in my business.

To be honest, about your third point, I wouldn't argue with a bad review, but I wouldn't just thank them for the bad review and leave it at that. Unless I was obviously at fault. However, if the customer was being unreasonable, I would explain everything we tried for the customer in the review. If a customer were impossible to please, then I would explain that in a reply to the review. If I were to just thank them and try to improve on something that I believe is unreasonable, then it would make my business look bad. I believe if people can leave bad public reviews, then I can reply honestly to those reviews as well.

Luckily, I haven't received a bad review yet, so I haven't had to write a whole story on a review yet. But I'm sure the day will come.  ;D

I hope your business grows. It's not easy growing a business in Korea (or anywhere), but it's definitely possible.

Offline freddyinkorea

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 03:59:16 AM »
Hi Freddy, thanks for commenting :)

Actually, the 15% represents the fact that 15% of my sales come from fans purchasing flowers and gifts for Korean celebrities. And there is a second story that mentions how starting my own English gyosoopso helped me land a 150,000won an hour business English teaching job on the side. And you are totally right, anyone can start a business. I like how you think 🙂 

However, I do not share any numbers regarding profit because I run the flower business with my wife. I do however share how much money I made running my English business on hagwonstart.com if you are interested. And I can tell you that since 2017, we've been making more money from the Flower business than when we ran our English gyosoopso.

The main purpose of my blog is to give some insight into the small business world in Korea to anyone interested because it is something I would have read and appreciated 5-6 years ago.

Thanks for your response.  I however think it important to include such information in a blog about business.  I can say I earned 15% of my business from my frozen endangered animal meat business, but if it is not a profitable business, it doesn't mean much. 

As a small business you should hopefully be looking to become larger.  Sharing numbers should not be a concern, especially if you are trying to help people.  What's the percent of failed businesses?  I understand trying to help but, I just don't see how such vague information is helping anyone.   

Offline Tony Teacher

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 06:41:59 PM »
Hey guys, I updated the Entrepreneur Korea website with a new theme. It should be easier to navigate now.

You can see the homepage by visiting http://entrepreneurkorea.com/

Also, if you haven't checked out the blog in awhile, I share monthly updates on how I did in my businesses (If I was able to reach my monthly minimum sales target and other info) and some things that I am up to as an Entrepreneur in Korea.

Here are links to my monthly updates for April and May 2017:

April: http://entrepreneurkorea.com/april-2017-review/

May: http://entrepreneurkorea.com/may-2017-review/

Offline Tony Teacher

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 01:49:24 AM »
I'm starting to write a bunch of blog posts about business in Korea, especially what I'm learning about laws, policies, and just business in Korea from books and my Korean wife.

Here is the first post, which talks about what happens when you don't register your business. It talks about what fines you have to pay and how much some of them are.

I'm no professional accountant or lawyer, but I'm trying to become more knowledgeable and believe this is a good way for me to learn. And maybe some of you might appreciate the information I'm learning.

http://entrepreneurkorea.com/what-happens-when-you-dont-register-your-business-in-korea/

Offline Tony Teacher

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 12:56:42 PM »
Hello fellow entrepreneur or one day thinking of becoming an entrepreneur.

I have been doing my morning check-ins at http://entrepreneurkorea.com/morning-check-in/

I just simply write what time I woke up, some random thoughts, and just check-in for the day. And this activity helps me to stay focused on what I have to do and helps me clear my mind for the day. If you are looking to do the same, just follow the page I shared and make your own morning check-ins somewhere. You can do it in a journal or on a blog format (like me).

I believe starting the day off right is important for any entrepreneur, so if you are having a hard time being consistent, then maybe it's time you start your own morning check-ins somewhere. You don't have to tell anyone, you can just do them privately.

I basically start off with a meditation, write down my random thoughts, write what I'm thankful for, write some affirmations, and then create my to do list. You can do the same or whatever works for you.

Anyhow, all the best to you in your entrepreneur journey in Korea!

Offline Tony Teacher

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 09:04:42 PM »
Here is my most recent blog post:
http://entrepreneurkorea.com/do-you-want-to-teach-english-in-korea-forever/

"Do You want to Teach English in Korea Forever?"

Basically, it is an open letter to people who plan on living in Korea for the long run or have lived in Korea 5+ years.

The title pretty much explains what the post is all about and asks the reader to think about the quality of their life in Korea as an English teacher.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment