July 24, 2017, 07:37:23 AM

Author Topic: Costco  (Read 1620 times)

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
Re: Costco
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 05:39:53 PM »
The only reason I go to Costco  :P

When vomit meets diarrhoea.

She won't win any beauty pageants, I'll give you that, but there's more to her than meets the eye  :wink:

Offline pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 06:14:24 PM »
Oh, and heads up, Costco Korea is CASH ONLY (unless you have a Samsung credit card - foreigners can't get them). So take cash with you.
My Canadian American Express card works. So, I'm assuming any American Express card will work. It even says something like 해외삼성카드 on the receipt.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 06:32:02 PM »
Not sure why users are saying it is impossible to get a Samsung card.  It's far from impossible.

Granted, my limit is only 8 million, which has rarely been an issue.  When big purchases have needed to be made, they simply increase the limit temporarily.

We don't keep a balance on any of our cards with balances being automatically paid off in full each month.

What was the reason given for being denied?

Offline yfb

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 08:13:54 PM »
When did you get your card and on what visa type?

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 08:18:52 PM »
E-2

I just got my new card 2 months ago.

I have held a Samsung for more than 8 years.

Could it be a credit score issue for those who were declined?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 08:20:36 PM by Pecan »

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 12:02:29 PM »
Oh, and heads up, Costco Korea is CASH ONLY (unless you have a Samsung credit card - foreigners can't get them). So take cash with you.
My Canadian American Express card works. So, I'm assuming any American Express card will work. It even says something like 해외삼성카드 on the receipt.

Any Amex issued by Samsung or NOT issued in Korea will work.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 12:19:36 PM »
E-2

I just got my new card 2 months ago.

I have held a Samsung for more than 8 years.

Could it be a credit score issue for those who were declined?
I got a Samsung card 3.5 years ago when I first got to Korea, so I don't think it's even a credit issue as I had absolutely no credit. If American credit factors in as well, then possibly.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 01:22:59 PM »
Well the claim is that they're not allowing foreigners to apply for new accounts, so any new possible restrictions being made now probably won't apply towards foreigners who already have accounts. So, no problems with receiving a reissued card or for keeping an already existing account open, as long as it's in good standing.

Anyone manage to open a new Samsung credit card account within the last couple of months?

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 01:24:55 PM »
Well the claim is that they're not allowing foreigners to apply for new accounts,...

Sometimes "they" is just the individual at the application desk that day.

YMMV

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
  • Today we are all root beer
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2017, 01:51:25 PM »
Well the claim is that they're not allowing foreigners to apply for new accounts,...

Sometimes "they" is just the individual at the application desk that day.

YMMV

Korean bank/store employee: "It's impossible."

Translation: "I don't feel like finding the English form or admitting that I don't know how to deal with an application for a foreigner, and I certainly don't want to ask my boss for permission to do anything special for you."

Then you go back the next week and talk to a different employee and they help you right away and get you what you want in the space of 2 minutes.

Offline OnNut81

• Super Waygook
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2017, 02:07:29 PM »
As much as Pecan is subtly trying to imply that it's likely your credit rating preventing you from getting a Samsung Amex it's due to a policy change.  Around 2010-11 Samsung was pretty active in signing up public school E2s at least.  A friend in Dongducheon even had a rep. come to his school in the boonies to try and sign him up.  If a card was given two months ago, it was a re-issue as you've been grandfathered in.  They don't want to give them to e2s anymore.  The Korean guy  I was with said they would accept Samsung debit cards, which I was told a foreigner could get.  I can't verify that because I wasn't particulary interested in doing it.   I keep getting a new Lotte card sent to me, but I'm not sure if they still issue to e2s at public school.  Anyways, it's not credit rating holding you back from a Samsung Amex.  Although, Pecan, if I were you and they were holding me at 8 million after all this time, I might want to inquire about my credit rating.  That's low.

Offline annataleen

• Super Waygook
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2017, 02:08:22 PM »
Are you all sure about AMEX working? I ask because Costco ditched them this past summer and now accepts Visa ... but not in Korea.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/06/20/482797151/the-big-costco-credit-card-switcheroo

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 02:11:39 PM »
Are you all sure about AMEX working? I ask because Costco ditched them this past summer and now accepts Visa ... but not in Korea.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/06/20/482797151/the-big-costco-credit-card-switcheroo

... and Costco Canada does Mastercard now, but there is still quite a bit of Amex signage in Costco Korea.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 04:23:49 PM »
As much as Pecan is subtly trying to imply that it's likely your credit rating preventing you from getting a Samsung Amex it's due to a policy change.  Around 2010-11 Samsung was pretty active in signing up public school E2s at least.  A friend in Dongducheon even had a rep. come to his school in the boonies to try and sign him up.  If a card was given two months ago, it was a re-issue as you've been grandfathered in.  They don't want to give them to e2s anymore.  The Korean guy  I was with said they would accept Samsung debit cards, which I was told a foreigner could get.  I can't verify that because I wasn't particulary interested in doing it.   I keep getting a new Lotte card sent to me, but I'm not sure if they still issue to e2s at public school.  Anyways, it's not credit rating holding you back from a Samsung Amex.  Although, Pecan, if I were you and they were holding me at 8 million after all this time, I might want to inquire about my credit rating.  That's low.
I wasn't trying to be subtle :)  I have no idea with regards to how Korea checks people's credit.  Do you?

Call: 1688-8751 to get a Samsung Card

As for my limit, like I stated, it really isn't an issue since the card is paid off each billing cycle (I'm not spending 8 million every month, thank heavens).

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 04:24:32 PM »

Any Samsung Card works at Korean Costcos.  It doesn't matter whether it is Visa, AMEX, or Mastercard.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2017, 04:29:47 PM »
Not sure why users are saying it is impossible to get a Samsung card.  It's far from impossible.

Granted, my limit is only 8 million, which has rarely been an issue.  When big purchases have needed to be made, they simply increase the limit temporarily.

We don't keep a balance on any of our cards with balances being automatically paid off in full each month.

What was the reason given for being denied?

Credit score doesn't matter here does it as the cards are mostly non revolving?  You have to pay it in full each month and the limts are usually low.  You seem to have a higher than usual limit for a Korean Credit Card.  (Of course my Canadian VISAs are much much higher than this, but that's another story.)  You must have a high income, a spouse with one, or some other type of assets or investments.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 04:38:43 PM »
Wow, sorry weigookin74, my limit is 8 million KRW, not USD.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2017, 04:40:43 PM »
Wow, sorry weigookin74, my limit is 8 million KRW, not USD.

You know what I meant.   :P

Offline annataleen

• Super Waygook
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2017, 06:42:13 PM »

... and Costco Canada does Mastercard now, but there is still quite a bit of Amex signage in Costco Korea.
Thanks Pecan. That is good to know.

Offline yfb

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2017, 08:40:54 PM »
The bit about Samsung Card no longer accepting E2 applicants is correct.  Way back when in 2009-2010 you could have gotten it. But I guess they thought that issuing credit card to temporary workers isn't the greatest idea.

I applied through four different agents to get that card in 2013 and got rejected every single time. One time when the credit card lady came around my school, I decided to take another shot at it, and the lady was so happy she gave me 10,000 won and a 120,000 won belt. Well I got rejected and she had to kakao me and ask for the 10,000 won back. That must have been embarrassing for her.

Recent Lesson Plans

Movie Vocabulary Activity by eslkidz
[Yesterday at 05:30:44 AM]

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment