March 26, 2017, 04:20:55 AM

Author Topic: Can I get a nose piercing?  (Read 1078 times)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: Can I get a nose piercing?
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 04:02:39 PM »
Whatever you do, don't get one of the "I'm so unique and edgy" bull nose ring things.  They look hideous and disgusting.  If I was an employer, I would make them remove it or they would have to find a new job.  It's not flattering or empowering bc it's against "societal norms of beauty" or other tagline that persuades so many women these days.  They're grotesque.

It's called a septum piercing. Not a 'bull nose ring thing.'

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 04:38:26 PM »
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
go away.

That's not how the internet works, my child.

If you do not have the mental fortitude to accept differing opinions about something like a piercing, you probably are not mature enough to make a decision about getting a piercing.

op didn't ask for opinions on whether they should get the piercing or not. although it was shoved down their throat regardless. they asked if they are allowed to get one in public schools. why the flip does anyone care whether someone else gets a piercing or not. it certainly doesn't require a steelrails waygook essay

Offline CO2

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Straight White Male
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 04:47:15 PM »
This thread is amazing. hahahaha As much personal choice comes into it and as much as I PERSONALLY don't give a flying phuket, it will reflect on you in this country. Granted a large swath of Koreans won't give a hoot, but your boss might.

Asking forgiveness is easier than asking for permission don't play that way here unfortunately for something "permanent" like a nose ring. It's permanent in this sense because even if you wear it once and regret it after your boss chews you out, your boss will always know that you wanted it to be permanent.
It's not like not telling your boss that you're going on vacation abroad, you can't plead as much ignorance on this one.

Offline kathholmes

• Waygookin
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 04:56:26 PM »
I've have a nosering for 10 years now. I'm with EPIK too and during my first year here I left it out because the agency I went through told me it is not allowed. In my second year I decided to start wearing it to gauge reactions and I found out that nobody cares. Now I wear it every day with no problems.

Offline Seoul cruiser

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 05:56:45 PM »
go away.

If you do not have the mental fortitude to accept differing opinions about something like a piercing, you probably are not mature enough to make a decision about getting a piercing.

op didn't ask for opinions on whether they should get the piercing or not. although it was shoved down their throat regardless. they asked if they are allowed to get one in public schools. why the flip does anyone care whether someone else gets a piercing or not. it certainly doesn't require a steelrails waygook essay

Why would an adult in their at most lower 20's be asking if they could get a piercing anyways? Are they not old enough to make that decision on their own? Why ask others if it is ok? Every school is different so there clearly isn't an answer to the question. The op is looking for social validation, it just so happens some people think the op is an idiot for getting one. If the op can't handle the comments, I would suggest not posting on an internet forum.

Offline CO2

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Straight White Male
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2017, 06:00:52 PM »
go away.

Why would an adult in their at most lower 20's be asking if they could get a piercing anyways? Are they not old enough to make that decision on their own? Why ask others if it is ok? Every school is different so there clearly isn't an answer to the question. The op is looking for social validation, it just so happens some people think the op is an idiot for getting one. If the op can't handle the comments, I would suggest not posting on an internet forum.

Hahahah a

:evil: "Foreign Teacher, you cannot have that nose ring."

"But the teachers on Waygook said that you wouldn't mindddddddddd.............."

:evil: "From my point of view, the waygooks are evil." 

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2017, 06:13:13 PM »
Teachers can get whatever body modifications they want, as long as they can be concealed by clothing. Get that nose piercing, then go buy some really high turtlenecks. Problem solved.

Offline wynislyfe22

• Explorer
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2017, 06:15:22 PM »
go away.

Ok Number 1. I am not looking for social validation. I could could a flying %$#* what the general population thinks about it. I simply asked for other teachers personal experiences with facial piercings and their employers' reactions, after arriving in Korea. Where does does amount to social validation? Obviously every school is different however that's not the point. The point was to see if anyone got a negative reaction from their coworkers and students and if its its bigger deal than i thought it was. I'm not trying to lose my job over something as temporary and trivial as a piercing. Some people pointed out some good points that I didn't think about, which is EXACTLY the reason why I posted here in the first place. I did not come here to ask for permission, if that wasn't clear. Some of you just like to flap your gums to try to come off as smart and to be mean because you're behind a computer screen.  Number 2, I can handle the comments, that's exactly why I posted what I cant stand are people coming in here trying to be self righteous and lecture people off something so trivial. If you had no advice to give based on what I actually asked, why did you comment? Except to "flex" your smarts and shove things down people throats. Gweh man!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:20:05 PM by wynislyfe22 »

Offline Rycology

• Explorer
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2017, 07:42:26 PM »
OP, I have my nose pierced (standard nostril and septum). I don't wear my septum everyday and I'm not even sure I've worn it to school before so nobody knows hence nobody cares.

As for your nostril. Yes, you can get it done. Ask the piercer for a petite piece of jewelry with nothing sparkly. It will most likely look like a blackhead or pimple. If you're paranoid, you can wear those pimple plasters that the Koreans love to wear. You can also get clear plastic retainer jewelry (this is what I use) to wear during the week and switch it out to your regular jewelry on the weekend.

Offline Seoul cruiser

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2017, 08:03:38 PM »
go away.

Ok Number 1. I am not looking for social validation. I could could a flying %$#* what the general population thinks about it. I simply asked for other teachers personal experiences with facial piercings and their employers' reactions, after arriving in Korea. Where does does amount to social validation? Obviously every school is different however that's not the point. The point was to see if anyone got a negative reaction from their coworkers and students and if its its bigger deal than i thought it was. I'm not trying to lose my job over something as temporary and trivial as a piercing. Some people pointed out some good points that I didn't think about, which is EXACTLY the reason why I posted here in the first place. I did not come here to ask for permission, if that wasn't clear. Some of you just like to flap your gums to try to come off as smart and to be mean because you're behind a computer screen.  Number 2, I can handle the comments, that's exactly why I posted what I cant stand are people coming in here trying to be self righteous and lecture people off something so trivial. If you had no advice to give based on what I actually asked, why did you comment? Except to "flex" your smarts and shove things down people throats. Gweh man!

Classic overcompensation! Haha, what exactly was shoved down your throat? Actually don't answer that, I'm sure I know!     Seems someone is butthurt, possibly from the same thing being shoved down throats?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline m.corless

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2017, 12:50:47 AM »

I think you answered your own question :)

Offline Seoul cruiser

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2017, 10:54:52 AM »

I think you answered your own question :)

Not to mention the title of the thread. "Can I get a nose piercing?"  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 12:38:23 PM »
Risking one's employment and therefore one's housing, health care, pension, and the expense of a return ticket over something "trivial and temporary" is a textbook example of the short-sighted, impulsive, irrational, passive-aggressive rage at society, and image issues that people associate with body piercers.

But hey, its a free country. Just don't come whining and blaming a bunch of people when you're passed over for promotion later in life.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:43:28 PM by Mr.DeMartino »

Offline HyooMyron

• Super Waygook
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 03:41:52 PM »
Haha, what exactly was shoved down your throat? Actually don't answer that, I'm sure I know!     Seems someone is butthurt, possibly from the same thing being shoved down throats?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: This thead and the other thread (about the guy running out on a gigantic phone bill)... what's up with all these man-children!? Fortunately, they've been getting a proper thrashing for failing to be responsible adults  8)

Recent Lesson Plans

Teaching out of a story book: Middle School by oglop
[Yesterday at 12:50:06 PM]

Tabletop games in class by lifeisgood6447
[March 24, 2017, 05:50:41 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment