February 22, 2017, 10:57:20 PM

Author Topic: Kodi  (Read 238 times)

Offline Pattinsons

• Super Waygook
Kodi
« on: January 11, 2017, 03:09:26 PM »
So I think I'm in the market for a Kodi streaming player. I'd like to hear any suggestions. Not sure what would be the best specs.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline JNM

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Kodi
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 03:14:04 PM »
Just pick up a used office-grade PC with a half decent video card.

I use a 2006 vintage Mac Mini, but whatever "too slow" computer you have in a closet will do.

Offline channel5karate

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 04:18:23 PM »
you can also use raspberry pi or orange pi.  advantage is that you can also run a torrent client, network wide adblocking and other useful things simultaneously. and cheap.

Offline orionchocopie

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 04:36:59 PM »
Definitely a Raspberry Pi.

You can buy it in Korea from these guys (ask your co-T for help to order, but you don't need an account, just make an order and send them some money via the ATM).

http://eleparts.co.kr/EPXGNNFFbrand

It looks like that set includes the Pi 3, case, heatsink, power supply.  The heatsink is a bit of a gimmick and not really necessary.  The case is nice, but there are others.  The PSU is ok, but any good quality 2.5A or better phone charger will work.

You might already have everything else.  Here's what you need to make it go.

Pi 3
Case
Power supply

Micro SD card
HDMI cable
USB keyboard
USB mouse
Monitor with HDMI input
Speakers (or use speakers on HDMI monitor)

Then download and install one of the Kodi distributions.  Most recently I heard that LibreElec was best, but there are others.

You can write the Kodi files to the SD card on a Windows PC (you'll need some kind of Micro SD card reader).  Then once the Pi is on your network you can use some software on your smartphone to control it (so you won't need the keyboard and mouse anymore).

Offline ajr30

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 12:39:01 PM »
I can recommend a Nvidia Shield TV. The new one just came out and it comes with a controller and remote. Uses Android TV (so basically anything you can use on your phone, you can use on this) and supports Kodi, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu (need a way around geolocking for that though), and others. And of course, with Kodi, you can use whatever addons work with Kodi. It also can be a Plex Media Server which is nice.  They both can do voice search (via google) with the remote/controller and both the remote/controllers have a headphone jack which is nice if you want to wach something on the TV without disturbing someone else in the room.

A bit pricey though. It's $200 for the 16gb model (you'll need your own external drive if you plan on storing/saving media) or $300 for the 500gb one. Both models come with a controller and a remote. You really only need the bigger one if you plan on downloading and saving movies and/or games. If you are just streaming, then the 16gb model is plenty.

Oh and if you do games, it supports Gamestream (if your PC has an Nvidia card) and GeForce  Now (which is kinda like their Netflix for games; you stream games from their servers to play them; yes, they have Asia servers so it's not that bad). And of course, any Android game works on it as well.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment