February 20, 2017, 09:35:26 AM

Author Topic: First offer, first teaching job! Could someone take a look at the contract pleas  (Read 484 times)

Offline margaretagnes

• Waygookin
I just want to make sure I don't end up under a terrible contract. If anything seems odd please let me know!! Also, I was under the impression that tax wouldn't be taken out?

THANK YOU!!!!!!

CLAUSE 2 ( PERIOD OF EMPLOYMENT )

a.   The total Agreement term is approximately one year, commencing from the date of arrival in Korea and to the last teaching day of the teacher's twelfth full teaching session, according to the FTK English Dongtan session calendar*. 
b.   The teacher agrees to discontinue his/her residence in Korea under the visa status arranged and sponsored by the employer within three days after the completion of this contract.  The teacher will be allowed to stay in the housing provided by FTK English Dongtan during this time. This condition will not apply if this contract is terminated for any reason before completion, and the employer has no obligation to maintain the visa status for any period of time beyond the termination date.

CLAUSE 3 ( THE EMPLOYERíS RESPONSIBILITIES)

a.   The employer and teacher are equal individuals working together to provide quality English instruction under the terms stated in this contract.
b.   The employer will honor the terms and conditions of employment for the teacher as stated within this contract.
c.   The employer will guarantee the teacher a salary of  2,100,000Won per teaching session*.

CLAUSE 4 ( THE TEACHERíS RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES )

a.   During the terms of this Agreement, the teacher must cooperate and comply with the instructions and disciplines of the school. Assisting the Supervisor he/she must carry out assignments as directed by the employer. The Supervisor will be responsible for establishing and communicating the Standards of Performance as related to the duties stated in this contract.
b.   The teacher must have adequately prepared for the classes in advance. The teacher should be in the school before 9:30 am.
c.   At all times during the term of this contract, teachers must maintain a clean and neat appearance. While suits and ties are not mandatory, a professional appearance is desirable. 
d.   The teacherís work will include the following:

①.   140 teaching hours (1teaching hour = 40 min. Target studentsí ages: 5 to 13)
②.   Preparation each day
③.   Development of educational programs and materials
④.   Indoor and outdoor classroom activities for/with students
⑤.   Grading, evaluation, and assessment of students
⑥.   Providing students with individualized care
⑦.   Attending teachersí meetings that are 1-2 times a month.
⑧.   Attending teachersí workshops that might be 5 times a year on Saturday.
⑨.   Lunch care to Kinder students (Lunch care is not regarded as teaching hours)
⑩.   Preparation of oral/written test 4 times a year.

CLAUSE 5 ( WORKING HOURS )

a.   During the term of this Agreement, the teacher should work in cooperation with the Supervisor from Monday through Friday.
b.   The teacher agrees to work full time from 9:30 am to 6:30 pm and teach 140 teaching hours (1teaching hour = 40 min) a session and to adequately prepare for classes.
c.   The employer cannot guarantee the teacherís requested teaching schedule.
d.   Teachers will be required to attend some special events throughout the year (workshops, yearly presentation, graduation ceremony, camps etc.) which may fall on a Saturday. Teachers will not receive additional compensation for these days.
e.   The teacher should inform the supervisor in case of leaving the school more than 40 minutes.   

CLAUSE 6 ( SALARY AND OVERTIME RATE)

a.   The employer agrees to pay the teacher salary of 2,100,000 won for the jobs described in Clause 4.
b.   One class means 40 minutes.
c.   According to FTK English Dongtan session system, each 20 working days a month is one session. If a month has more than 20 working days, the additional working days are regarded as the next session. If a month has less than 20 working days, the next days in the next month are regarded as the previous session. 
d.   When the teacher doesnít start with Day 1 of the session, payment for the starting session will be done as follows;
Payment for the starting session
= 2,100,000 won / 20 days x working days during the starting session
e.   The payment of the salary is to be made on the 10th of the following month.
f.   Each forty minute class exceeding the 140 classes/session will be considered as overtime. The payment for the overtime will be 20,000 won per one hour. Attendance at scheduled staff meetings and workshops, along with preparation for classes is mandatory and not considered as overtime.
g.   Any absence due to sickness or illness exceeding 2 days of sick leave per year will result in deduction from your salary.
h.   The employer will provide 4 major insurances including the national health care and pension. Which will be coshared.
i.   Income tax will be deducted at the standard National rate.

CLAUSE 7 ( TAX )

Income tax and retirement taxes will be withheld from the salary in accordance with the Korean tax law (approximately 3.3 %). 

CLAUSE 8 ( TRANSPORTATION )

a.   Round trip economy air ticket is provided with the one-year contract from the teacherís nearest airport to the international airport in Korea and transportation from the airport to the teacherís residence in Korea. Upon completion of this contract, the teacher will be provided with a return ticket.
b.   If the teacher leaves the school before his/her contract period ends, the school will not pay for his/her return ticket.
c.   If the teacher leaves the school prior to completing eight (8) months period of this contract for any reason, the teacher must reimburse the school the cost of the ticket paid by the school or the school may deduct the equivalent amount from the teacherís last monthís pay. 

CLAUSE 9 ( ORIENTATION PERIOD )

a.   Upon arrival in Korea, the teacher will be guaranteed maximum 5days for an orientation period, before being expected to begin his/her regular teaching work.
b.   The teacher will be on the payroll from the day after his/her arrival in Korea, except for weekends and national holidays.
c.   During the orientation period the teacher is required to be at the school preparing lessons and learning about the school system. The rate of payment for the orientation period will be 40,000 won per day. Payment for the first week of the orientation period will be paid on the last day of the same month.

CLAUSE 10 ( NATIONAL HEALTHCARE & PENSION )

a.   Half of the insurance and pension will be paid by the Employer and the other half by the teacher. Teachers should be aware that medical coverage does not become effective until you have an E-2 working visa and have been issued an alien registration card from immigration in Korea.

CLAUSE 11 ( VACATION & HOLIDAYS )

The teacher will be allowed for national holidays and 10 days of paid vacation (5days in summer and 5days in winter) as it is indicated in the school calendar.*

CLAUSE 12 (EMERGENCY LEAVE)

a.   The employer agrees that the employee is entitled to 5 working days of emergency leave, in the event of death in the employeeís immediate family.  The immediate family shall include parents and siblings of the employee. For this emergency leave, no deduction of salary will be taken place.
b.   The employer cannot provide the teacher with any additional compensation for airfare in the case of an emergency.
c.   The employer has the right to request (upon return to Korea) reasonable proof for having granted emergency leave.
d.   In the event that a period longer than 5 working days is required for emergency leave, it is up to the employerís discretion to permit such a period.
e.   The teacher will be allowed a maximum of 2 days paid sick leave per year. In the event that the employee is absent for more than 1 day the teacher must provide an original medical certificate. The employer will not be financially responsible for the costs involved in obtaining the medical certificate. The teacherís wages will be deducted in the event that more than 2 sick days are taken.
f.   The teacher cannot use 2days of sick leave with vacation and holidays

CLAUSE 13 ( ACCOMMODATIONS )

a.   The school will provide the teacher with the furnished single housing of one bedroom studio.
b.   Furnishings being provided by the employer include: refrigerator, washing machine, bed, wardrobe, fan(or air conditioner), basic utensils, and one-burner gas hot plate. The teacher will be expected to provide his/her own pillowcase, and sheets.
c.   Selection of the apartment will be made by the employer.
d.   The cost of monthly service and utilities for the accommodations will be paid by the teacher.
e.   For the first three months, the Employer will withhold a deposit of 200,000 won each month, in order for the employer to pay off utility and telephone charges, received by the employer during the two months after the termination of the contract.
f.   Any balance due the teacher after all bills have been paid will be transferred to the teacherís account back home two months after the termination of the contract.
g.   Before the teacher returns home, she/he should put away all the private stuffs and the housing should be cleaned back again. The cleaning fee of 50,000 won will be deducted from the last salary.

CLAUSE 14 (SEVERANCE PAYMENT)

Upon completion of this one-year contract, the teacher will receive one additional basic salary of 2.1 million won as a severance payment in accordance with Korean Labor Laws. This payment will be made at the time of completion of the contract period and income tax will be withheld from this payment.

CLAUSE 15 ( DISMISSAL OR VOLUNTARY RESIGNATION )

a.   The employer reserves the right to dismiss the teacher from employment for the following causes:
①.   Neglect or inability to perform his/her duties stipulated in this agreement
②.   Frequent absences from work
③.   Receiving two warning letters
④.   Criminal behavior or misconduct Ėjeopardizing any student or staff / having drug or alcohol problem.
⑤.   Teaching any private classes outside of the FTK English Dongtan school

b.   The employer agrees to give the employee 5 working days notice in the event of dismissal. However, in the case of a teacherís criminal behavior or misconduct, he/she will be dismissed from employment immediately with no warning or notice.
In the event the teacher resigns from employment, he/she can do so giving 45 working days notice to the employer.
c.   In either case of dismissal or resignation before completing eight (8) months period of the contract term, the teacher must reimburse the school the cost of the air ticket paid by the school or the school may deduct the equivalent amount from the teacherís last monthís pay. 
d.   In either case of dismissal or resignation before completing the contract term, the teacher will NOT receive any severance payment in accordance with Korean Labor Laws.

CLAUSE 16 (GOVERNING LAW & JURISDICTION )

a.   This Agreement is governed by the law of the Republic of Korea.
b.   This Agreement is made final and firm unless any material modification or amendment to this Agreement is executed with the full knowledge and consent of the undersigned and incorporated into this Agreement.

* Teaching sessions and vacations and holidays (according to the FTK English Dongtan session calendar)

Offline MWeb37

• Super Waygook
9:30-6:30 at 2.1 seems low to me.

140 teaching hours seems high to me.

Offline SMOE NSET

• Adventurer
So many warning signs in this contract:

-140 classes a week
-unpaid Saturdays
-must eat lunch with kids
-all the extra work on top of 140 classes (reports, assessments, etc)
-Being paid on the 10th

There are more but I wouldn't take the job.

Offline asuka

• Explorer
d.   Teachers will be required to attend some special events throughout the year (workshops, yearly presentation, graduation ceremony, camps etc.) which may fall on a Saturday. Teachers will not receive additional compensation for these days.

I think you'll definitely be working on many Saturdays and wont receive any compensation for any of it if you take this position. Not good.

The payment of the salary is to be made on the 10th of the following month.
I'm not sure why people are saying getting paid on the 10th is a bad thing. I get paid on the 10th and my bills come within the following week. Maybe it depends on where you live?? My bills always come after the 10th. And you have several days to pay the bills before getting a fee. If they don't pay you and then all your bills started coming in around the 10th, then that'd definitely suck. My employer pays me faithfully every month on the 10th, so I have no problems.

a.   The employer agrees that the employee is entitled to 5 working days of emergency leave, in the event of death in the employeeís immediate family.  The immediate family shall include parents and siblings of the employee. For this emergency leave, no deduction of salary will be taken place.

Well, at least you know that you can take 5 days off and still get paid if there's some type of emergency. There's nothing in my contract about emergency leave.

e.   For the first three months, the Employer will withhold a deposit of 200,000 won each month, in order for the employer to pay off utility and telephone charges, received by the employer during the two months after the termination of the contract.

f.   Any balance due the teacher after all bills have been paid will be transferred to the teacherís account back home two months after the termination of the contract.

They are going to withhold 600,000 won for the two months after you leave. Seems like a lot. Too much. My utilities are usually less than 100,000 won per month. I don't think most people pay anywhere near 600,000 won in two months for utilities. There could be some though. I guess they are scared people will damage the place, so they want more in addition to utilities. This is definitely not a good clause. Even though they sat they'll transfer any money that is left after paying the bills, I'm not sure that I would trust them.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:07:20 AM by asuka »

Offline cjszk

• Expert Waygook
So many warning signs in this contract:

-140 classes a week
-unpaid Saturdays
-must eat lunch with kids
-all the extra work on top of 140 classes (reports, assessments, etc)
-Being paid on the 10th

There are more but I wouldn't take the job.

140 classes a month*
That's still a lot... 30~34 classes a week.
Being paid on the 10th is indeed eerie... it comes after most bills need to be paid. Says something about the hagwon's financial situation itself.
And yes, the fact that they require you to do "preparation" despite the extensive amount of class hours is ridiculous. If they are going to require that much class time out of you, they need to have materials ready for you.

Don't take this contract. Look for the next.

Offline KimDuHan

• Expert Waygook
2.4+ million a month then it's an ok contract.

I'd ask about the Saturday work schedule though because it could be every 1-2 weeks or once a year. (I worked at a school years ago that made us work 5 Saturdays every 3 months but we got a whole week off every 3 months and 2 weeks off during chuseok and New Years)

Getting paid on the 10th is a red flag and the emergency days probably won't pan out.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:11:37 AM by KimDuHan »

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan
You'd be teaching about seven classes a day (40 minutes each). That's doable. But it might be too much with all the other things you have to do outside of class.

c.   If the teacher leaves the school prior to completing eight (8) months period of this contract for any reason, the teacher must reimburse the school the cost of the ticket paid by the school or the school may deduct the equivalent amount from the teacherís last monthís pay.
Why eight months? Six months is the norm.

The employer agrees to give the employee 5 working days notice in the event of dismissal.
According Korean labor law, you're entitled to 30 days' notice if you've been an employee for at least six months. Be careful about signing away your rights.

Offline kriztee

• Super Waygook
I'd take a pass on this one unless they increase wages. It's a lot of work and taking care of the kids at lunch can get annoying. The 5 saturdays part isn't too bad, usually it's like a field trip you take with the kids. My friend's hawgon usually goes to Lotte World or petting zoos so depending on the kids it's not the worst thing as long as you have no plans that day. On the plus side they give you more emergency leave than EPIK's whole 2 days.

Offline donuts81

• Hero of Waygookistan
The 5 saturdays part isn't too bad...

I always think of it as them stealing $100~200 dollars from me per day. Five days seems excessive to me. Especially if it's field trips and not simply graduation etc.
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

Offline oli125

• Adventurer
I completely agree with others who have said that it is an awful lot of work for 2.1 million won. In the past I worked a 9- 6pm hakwon. Short story, it almost killed me, but at least I was getting paid 2.4 mill. Look for a better position. Good luck:)

Offline SMOE NSET

• Adventurer
My mistake. It says 140 hours a session. My first job was at a hagwon that used the "session" system and it was their way to get around overtime.

Still you can most likely do a lot better than this contract. If your recruiter says this is all they have, find a new recruiter or use more than one.

Offline dalkyr

• Veteran
I just want to make sure I don't end up under a terrible contract. If anything seems odd please let me know!! Also, I was under the impression that tax wouldn't be taken out?

THANK YOU!!!!!!

CLAUSE 2 ( PERIOD OF EMPLOYMENT )

a.   The total Agreement term is approximately one year, commencing from the date of arrival in Korea and to the last teaching day of the teacher's twelfth full teaching session, according to the FTK English Dongtan session calendar*. 

Not exactly, no. Lots of hagwons try to pull this "Teaching session" thing, but they can't *make* you stay longer than 12 months. Not a huge red flag, but be aware of it. If you start 4 days after the "session" starts they'll try and keep you 13 months.

b.   The teacher agrees to discontinue his/her residence in Korea under the visa status arranged and sponsored by the employer within three days after the completion of this contract.  The teacher will be allowed to stay in the housing provided by FTK English Dongtan during this time. This condition will not apply if this contract is terminated for any reason before completion, and the employer has no obligation to maintain the visa status for any period of time beyond the termination date.

CLAUSE 3 ( THE EMPLOYERíS RESPONSIBILITIES)

a.   The employer and teacher are equal individuals working together to provide quality English instruction under the terms stated in this contract.
b.   The employer will honor the terms and conditions of employment for the teacher as stated within this contract.
c.   The employer will guarantee the teacher a salary of  2,100,000Won per teaching session*.

Why not just say per month? I'd want some serious detail on their "sessions" with this clause.

CLAUSE 4 ( THE TEACHERíS RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES )

a.   During the terms of this Agreement, the teacher must cooperate and comply with the instructions and disciplines of the school. Assisting the Supervisor he/she must carry out assignments as directed by the employer. The Supervisor will be responsible for establishing and communicating the Standards of Performance as related to the duties stated in this contract.
b.   The teacher must have adequately prepared for the classes in advance. The teacher should be in the school before 9:30 am.
c.   At all times during the term of this contract, teachers must maintain a clean and neat appearance. While suits and ties are not mandatory, a professional appearance is desirable. 
d.   The teacherís work will include the following:

①.   140 teaching hours (1teaching hour = 40 min. Target studentsí ages: 5 to 13)
②.   Preparation each day
③.   Development of educational programs and materials
④.   Indoor and outdoor classroom activities for/with students
⑤.   Grading, evaluation, and assessment of students
⑥.   Providing students with individualized care
⑦.   Attending teachersí meetings that are 1-2 times a month.
⑧.   Attending teachersí workshops that might be 5 times a year on Saturday.
⑨.   Lunch care to Kinder students (Lunch care is not regarded as teaching hours)
⑩.   Preparation of oral/written test 4 times a year.

That's a LOT of extra duties, all of which are unpaid.

a.   During the term of this Agreement, the teacher should work in cooperation with the Supervisor from Monday through Friday.
b.   The teacher agrees to work full time from 9:30 am to 6:30 pm and teach 140 teaching hours (1teaching hour = 40 min) a session and to adequately prepare for classes.
c.   The employer cannot guarantee the teacherís requested teaching schedule.
d.   Teachers will be required to attend some special events throughout the year (workshops, yearly presentation, graduation ceremony, camps etc.) which may fall on a Saturday. Teachers will not receive additional compensation for these days.
e.   The teacher should inform the supervisor in case of leaving the school more than 40 minutes.   

That's a LOT of office hours.

a.   The employer agrees to pay the teacher salary of 2,100,000 won for the jobs described in Clause 4.
b.   One class means 40 minutes.
c.   According to FTK English Dongtan session system, each 20 working days a month is one session. If a month has more than 20 working days, the additional working days are regarded as the next session. If a month has less than 20 working days, the next days in the next month are regarded as the previous session. 

Wut? Seriously, what? This could lead to some serious wonkiness in your pay schedule. Most months have a few more than 20 business days, so you're looking at some serious offset that you'd need to pay attention to in order to make sure you're getting paid properly.

d.   When the teacher doesnít start with Day 1 of the session, payment for the starting session will be done as follows;
Payment for the starting session
= 2,100,000 won / 20 days x working days during the starting session
e.   The payment of the salary is to be made on the 10th of the following month.

See above. They're paying you on a monthly basis, but your pay is calculated on a session basis. Seems stupid to me.

f.   Each forty minute class exceeding the 140 classes/session will be considered as overtime. The payment for the overtime will be 20,000 won per one hour. Attendance at scheduled staff meetings and workshops, along with preparation for classes is mandatory and not considered as overtime.
g.   Any absence due to sickness or illness exceeding 2 days of sick leave per year will result in deduction from your salary.
h.   The employer will provide 4 major insurances including the national health care and pension. Which will be coshared.
i.   Income tax will be deducted at the standard National rate.

CLAUSE 7 ( TAX )

Income tax and retirement taxes will be withheld from the salary in accordance with the Korean tax law (approximately 3.3 %). 

CLAUSE 8 ( TRANSPORTATION )

a.   Round trip economy air ticket is provided with the one-year contract from the teacherís nearest airport to the international airport in Korea and transportation from the airport to the teacherís residence in Korea. Upon completion of this contract, the teacher will be provided with a return ticket.
b.   If the teacher leaves the school before his/her contract period ends, the school will not pay for his/her return ticket.
c.   If the teacher leaves the school prior to completing eight (8) months period of this contract for any reason, the teacher must reimburse the school the cost of the ticket paid by the school or the school may deduct the equivalent amount from the teacherís last monthís pay. 

Round trip is good. Most are doing one-way tickets. But 8 months is non-standard. 6 months repayment is the norm.

CLAUSE 9 ( ORIENTATION PERIOD )

a.   Upon arrival in Korea, the teacher will be guaranteed maximum 5days for an orientation period, before being expected to begin his/her regular teaching work.

*MAXIMUM*? Hahahahahahahaha. Check if that's a typo. If not, you're basically guaranteed no training.

b.   The teacher will be on the payroll from the day after his/her arrival in Korea, except for weekends and national holidays.
c.   During the orientation period the teacher is required to be at the school preparing lessons and learning about the school system. The rate of payment for the orientation period will be 40,000 won per day. Payment for the first week of the orientation period will be paid on the last day of the same month.

CLAUSE 10 ( NATIONAL HEALTHCARE & PENSION )

a.   Half of the insurance and pension will be paid by the Employer and the other half by the teacher. Teachers should be aware that medical coverage does not become effective until you have an E-2 working visa and have been issued an alien registration card from immigration in Korea.

CLAUSE 11 ( VACATION & HOLIDAYS )

The teacher will be allowed for national holidays and 10 days of paid vacation (5days in summer and 5days in winter) as it is indicated in the school calendar.*

a.   The employer agrees that the employee is entitled to 5 working days of emergency leave, in the event of death in the employeeís immediate family.  The immediate family shall include parents and siblings of the employee. For this emergency leave, no deduction of salary will be taken place.
b.   The employer cannot provide the teacher with any additional compensation for airfare in the case of an emergency.
c.   The employer has the right to request (upon return to Korea) reasonable proof for having granted emergency leave.
d.   In the event that a period longer than 5 working days is required for emergency leave, it is up to the employerís discretion to permit such a period.
e.   The teacher will be allowed a maximum of 2 days paid sick leave per year. In the event that the employee is absent for more than 1 day the teacher must provide an original medical certificate. The employer will not be financially responsible for the costs involved in obtaining the medical certificate. The teacherís wages will be deducted in the event that more than 2 sick days are taken.
f.   The teacher cannot use 2days of sick leave with vacation and holidays

a.   The school will provide the teacher with the furnished single housing of one bedroom studio.
b.   Furnishings being provided by the employer include: refrigerator, washing machine, bed, wardrobe, fan(or air conditioner), basic utensils, and one-burner gas hot plate. The teacher will be expected to provide his/her own pillowcase, and sheets.
c.   Selection of the apartment will be made by the employer.
d.   The cost of monthly service and utilities for the accommodations will be paid by the teacher.
e.   For the first three months, the Employer will withhold a deposit of 200,000 won each month, in order for the employer to pay off utility and telephone charges, received by the employer during the two months after the termination of the contract.

Deposits are BS. They're basically midnight-runner insurance for the school.

f.   Any balance due the teacher after all bills have been paid will be transferred to the teacherís account back home two months after the termination of the contract.
g.   Before the teacher returns home, she/he should put away all the private stuffs and the housing should be cleaned back again. The cleaning fee of 50,000 won will be deducted from the last salary.

CLAUSE 14 (SEVERANCE PAYMENT)

Upon completion of this one-year contract, the teacher will receive one additional basic salary of 2.1 million won as a severance payment in accordance with Korean Labor Laws. This payment will be made at the time of completion of the contract period and income tax will be withheld from this payment.

CLAUSE 15 ( DISMISSAL OR VOLUNTARY RESIGNATION )

a.   The employer reserves the right to dismiss the teacher from employment for the following causes:
①.   Neglect or inability to perform his/her duties stipulated in this agreement
②.   Frequent absences from work
③.   Receiving two warning letters
④.   Criminal behavior or misconduct Ėjeopardizing any student or staff / having drug or alcohol problem.
⑤.   Teaching any private classes outside of the FTK English Dongtan school

b.   The employer agrees to give the employee 5 working days notice in the event of dismissal. However, in the case of a teacherís criminal behavior or misconduct, he/she will be dismissed from employment immediately with no warning or notice.
In the event the teacher resigns from employment, he/she can do so giving 45 working days notice to the employer.

Illegal. They're required to give you 30 days notice. (In most cases, barring something extreme like you breaking the law)

c.   In either case of dismissal or resignation before completing eight (8) months period of the contract term, the teacher must reimburse the school the cost of the air ticket paid by the school or the school may deduct the equivalent amount from the teacherís last monthís pay. 

Also illegal. Reimbursing on resignation is already borderline, but if they fire you they're not allowed to collect on that.

d.   In either case of dismissal or resignation before completing the contract term, the teacher will NOT receive any severance payment in accordance with Korean Labor Laws.

CLAUSE 16 (GOVERNING LAW & JURISDICTION )

a.   This Agreement is governed by the law of the Republic of Korea.
b.   This Agreement is made final and firm unless any material modification or amendment to this Agreement is executed with the full knowledge and consent of the undersigned and incorporated into this Agreement.

* Teaching sessions and vacations and holidays (according to the FTK English Dongtan session calendar)

This is not a great contract. Not the worst I've ever seen, but not even close to being good. Long hours, lots of unpaid extra work, and some utterly ridiculous clauses like the 5-day termination notice. Unless you're really desperate, keep looking. There's going to be lots of stuff coming up in the next month or so due to the new school year, so don't feel like this is all you'll get.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Expert Waygook
Seems to have some good parts - return flights, emergency leave, holidays.

But the weird bad parts would be particularly worrying - 5 days notice, 3.3% tax, 'sessions', withholding 600 000 won to pay bills two months after you finish, eating with the kindergarten students.

The 5 days notice is illegal and if contested with Labour, you will win.  Labour Law supercedes anything written in contracts so why bother writing crap like this in the contract.  Also eating lunch with the kindergarten students.  Bar the numerous threads about the legality of working places for kindergarten 'schools' and multiple-location jobs.  Labour Law allows you to spend 1 hour to do what you want, a half hour for every four hours worked.  Considering you have a lot of teaching hours, do you really want to spend half an hour of your free time at lunch with kindergarten students?  Any kind of 'this is fun!' will wear off after the first week, and then you're on the treadmill of loads of classes, being tired and trying to finish your contract.  It just isn't worth it. 

Being paid on the tenth is not good for a few reasons and says a lot about the institute.  Why does it take so long for them to calculate everything?  They will register you as a 'independent contractor' as well with your tax rate.  Why work almost half the way into the next month to get paid for the previous?  Would you take a job like that in the west?  It stops you from running, basically.  You finish a 'session' and then wait anything between 10-14 days to be paid for that session.  Does this also apply to when you finish your contract?  It says the severance is paid on the last day, and the salary?  You have to wait for two months???? to get back the 600 000won 'security deposit', minus the cleaning fee which is a pile of bollocks and anything else they fancy keeping.  You have three days after completion in the housing and then that's it.  You being in Korea, makes any problems easier after you finish contracts.  Hagwons are shady, not all, but most.  I'd pass on this one.  Now is hiring season, there should be a load of better ones. 

Offline margaretagnes

• Waygookin
Thank you so much to everyone who added some insight to this contract!!!! I really appreciate your advice and pointing out things that I would have not even noticed in the contract!

I turned down the opportunity and have been interviewing with a few other places, looking at similarities and differences in those contracts as well!

Again, THANK YOU!
You guys are wonderful!

Recent Lesson Plans

Teaching kids Growth Mindset and Empathy by jennakay11
[February 18, 2017, 10:23:49 AM]

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment