August 21, 2017, 09:57:34 AM

Author Topic: No foreigners allowed in Pet Shop (hongdae area)  (Read 4573 times)

Offline madison79

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: No foreigners allowed in Pet Shop (hongdae area)
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 01:10:29 AM »
Abandoning your pets has nothing to do with the store not letting foreigners in, how could it?

Honestly if I had a pet rabbit, dog, turtle  or Guinea pig I would eat it before I left.

A cat or lizard I would try to give it away or bring it back with me.
Why would you eat them?  Why not rehome them.  Weird. 
It's -ev to deal with some people.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 01:42:49 AM »
I do wonder if there might be some sort of Chinese angle to this and there might have been some sort of smuggling thing going on and she's ineptly trying to prevent animal cruelty. Probably pure bigotry though.

Offline HyooMyron

• Super Waygook
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 11:30:37 AM »
Maybe because there are too many drunk impulse buys from foreigners ....who knows.

Possibly this, I've know a few foreigners who bought a pet and then never really had a plan for when they left. One couple thought their two rabbits could live wild and free in the mountains :rolleyes:

The pet shop owner could be trying to be responsible, not intentionally xenophobic (if overly paternalistic)

Ahhhh yes we all have encountered those people.  They stay here for a year and get involved with something that requires love and affection like a pet or a Korean only to break up with them or it after the one year is up.  Seriously what kind of F'ed up mentality is that.  Let me just adopt this dog to keep me company for the time being and when March/August comes around I'm just going to shlep it off on another Korean or foreigner I know.  F**k if the dog/cat has bonded with me. 

x1000 I'm one of those people that don't give a toot about what other people do and nor am I much of an animal lover. But I disdain foreigners who buy pets in Korea, because more often than not they are going to end up throwing the animal away or give the animal away to their friend who in turn will eventually throw it away.

But as for this particular pet shop owner, I'm not seeing a reason for them to turn away foreigners based on that. Because Lord knows that Koreans aren't innocent when it comes to throwing away pets.

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 01:45:20 PM »
I agree with a couple of previous comments. A few (more than a few) foreigners have made complaints about and to certain pet stores, and yes some have caused quite a stink about the health of the pets being sold as well as the conditions they are kept in. I am more inclined to think this is why this particular store has banned foreigners...

To add: I brought my furcompanions with me when I moved here, and they will leave with me. So foreigners who pick up pets here, and then abandon them when they leave get the full force of my fury in this regard.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline tommyb.goode

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 02:37:47 PM »
Still no evidence of this sign. I looked on the Only in Korea page and found nothing. Why don't you at least post a link?
http://a-chronic-expat.tumblr.com/ for writing and photography of a chronic expat.

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 02:40:47 PM »
Still no evidence of this sign. I looked on the Only in Korea page and found nothing. Why don't you at least post a link?

Is it the Onik page on Facebook because they need you to join that group to see postings on their page....not going to be bothered to do that.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 02:48:21 PM »
Here's the image that someone posted on OinK (in the comments section).

Yoink.

Offline tommyb.goode

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 04:31:27 PM »
Wow.. Is that legal?
http://a-chronic-expat.tumblr.com/ for writing and photography of a chronic expat.

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 04:39:38 PM »
You know after reading so many horror stories for short timers dumping their pets around Korea, I kind of don't see it as a bad thing. 

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2017, 05:02:39 PM »

Yoink.
Looking at the photo, it's possible that it isn't a pet store but rather a boshitang joint. If that's the case, I can totally understand why they put up the sign!

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2017, 05:07:46 PM »

Yoink.
Looking at the photo, it's possible that it isn't a pet store but rather a boshitang joint. If that's the case, I can totally understand why they put up the sign!

I've also considered that it was staged. Not that signs like this don't exist, but the way this is making the rounds, I see it as a possibility.

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2017, 05:09:26 PM »

Yoink.

Yeah I was about to say....why would a pet shop be named "Dog FOOD" HOUSE.  In Korean wouldn't that be like 보신통 맛집 ??  And if it was a Bo Shin Tong place they probably wouldn't allow foreigners because 1.  They might be yelled out for serving up such a beloved animal, and they don't want to hear it.  2. I have known foreign friends of mine consume dogmeat only to later throw it up.  Probably want to avoid someone from puking in the restaurant because of them having bad thoughts about eating dog. 

Why do I feel this picture is MISGUIDED (and misunderstood because they don't speak Korean) foreigner outrage. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 05:13:29 PM by Piggydee »

Offline KimDuHan

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2017, 08:24:45 PM »

Yoink.

Yeah I was about to say....why would a pet shop be named "Dog FOOD" HOUSE.  In Korean wouldn't that be like 보신통 맛집 ??  And if it was a Bo Shin Tong place they probably wouldn't allow foreigners because 1.  They might be yelled out for serving up such a beloved animal, and they don't want to hear it.  2. I have known foreign friends of mine consume dogmeat only to later throw it up.  Probably want to avoid someone from puking in the restaurant because of them having bad thoughts about eating dog. 

Why do I feel this picture is MISGUIDED (and misunderstood because they don't speak Korean) foreigner outrage.

The original post on pets in Korea is from a legit dog owner and it's not a restaurant.
It's a pet store, the location and store is pictured too. I'm not taking anyone's pictures without their consent especially in Korea!! The pics or it didn't happen response is childish as the building of rome wasn't on photo so did it happen?

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2017, 08:44:17 PM »
The pics or it didn't happen response is childish as the building of rome wasn't on photo so did it happen?

That isn't a particularly good example. We can see Rome, so we can be reasonably certain that at some point it was indeed built. Similarly, I don't have pictures of my birth, but I'm pretty sure that I was born.

Calls for "pics or it didn't happen!" can definitely be misguided, though, I agree. I just thought your example was a bit silly.  :laugh:

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2017, 09:35:44 AM »
Calling for pics on this site is ridiculous.
After all we never get wild and crazy stories on here.

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2017, 09:36:28 AM »
It's a long running internet joke LOL "Pics or it didn't happen" is as old as the internet LOL

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline walrus

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2017, 04:29:54 PM »
Abandoning your pets has nothing to do with the store not letting foreigners in, how could it?

Honestly if I had a pet rabbit, dog, turtle  or Guinea pig I would eat it before I left.

Nothing weird here. You ever try rabbit stew? OMG it's delicious...

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2017, 04:54:02 PM »

Nothing weird here. You ever try rabbit stew? OMG it's delicious...
And guinea pigs are delicious. They're not called the chicken of the Andes for nothing!

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2017, 05:20:13 PM »
I could so do that without the head and legs attached.  Otherwise I'm golden if it taste like chicken  :laugh:

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment