January 20, 2017, 07:22:12 AM

Author Topic: Going Home for Good? Then Shut Up About it.  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Aurata

• Super Waygook
  • Je regrette rien
Re: Going Home for Good? Then Shut Up About it.
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 12:40:58 AM »
It's like anything. If people can talk about their experiences in an entertaining way and not go on about it too much, people will be interested.

I'm usually genuinely interested in most people's experiences. I mean if I met someone who had travelled somewhere I'd usually have them yarning on about their impressions. Because I'm interested in .. the world.

My interest hasn't really been repaid, I feel. When I go home, its like nobody wants to know. Maybe they find it intimidating that I've lived on every continent, who knows. But its head back in the sand. All they care about is footy and the pub. Absolutely mindless.
Imagine your Korea...

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 08:30:58 AM »
No one cares.
Intelligent people care, they have a natural curiosity.

No. Most people just don't care. Ones experiences will largely be irrelevant to 99.9% of the people they ever meet.

These posts are saying the same thing.

Intelligent people, say IQ 140+, are 0.4% of the population, and perhaps an impressive 75% of them care about global cultural differences. If we say 99% of non-intelligent people do not care, then 98.7% of people don't care.

However the people you meet is not random. If you rarely meet anyone except intelligent people, your experience will not "be irrelevant to 99.9% of the people you meet".

Meh. Kind of not really. I would argue that the more deciding factor is relevance to that persons potential experience. (Which seeing as Korea attracts mainly ESL teachers argues for average to slightly above average intelligence not higher.)

World cultures just aren't that interesting. People eat, work and sleep. How exactly they go about it varies a bit but overall it's pretty much the same.

Beyond that. It's entirely possible but I doubt there is a link between IQ and interest in foreign culture. I think there would be a stronger association with age than IQ actually.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:35:15 AM by Loki88 »

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 09:48:14 AM »
I usually don't tell people back at home where I lived or where I have traveled too because it's usually followed by ignorant assumptions and I don't want to hear it.  I only share my travels stories with like-minded people. 

Offline gidget

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 05:51:35 PM »
I now make things up. When people nag me about where I've been or what I've been doing in my life I tell them I've been in seclusion trying to overcome my troglydytic ways while simultaneously trying to discover my purpose in life.

When I've gone back on holiday, or fielded a couple of emails or messages the overwhelming response is that I'm now rich and then whoever it is hits me for a loan or in the case of my sister's friend, or some classmate I don't remember from middle school, a Christmas present because they've thought a lot about me in the time we haven't seen each other. No one has ever mentioned anything at all about where I've been. Just that I've been overseas; I'm rich; I owe them.

This reaction has caused me to re-evaluate my concept of politeness.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 07:55:26 PM »
No one cares.
Intelligent people care, they have a natural curiosity.

No. Most people just don't care. Ones experiences will largely be irrelevant to 99.9% of the people they ever meet.

These posts are saying the same thing.

Intelligent people, say IQ 140+, are 0.4% of the population, and perhaps an impressive 75% of them care about global cultural differences. If we say 99% of non-intelligent people do not care, then 98.7% of people don't care.

However the people you meet is not random. If you rarely meet anyone except intelligent people, your experience will not "be irrelevant to 99.9% of the people you meet".

Only 140+?  I'd say being 115 or 120 and over you're doing well.  160 and up is Einstein territory.  Too smart means no social skills though. 

As for most people lacking any curiosity, well, that does describe many people, including even some ESLers.  How many would you meet at an expat place who only want to drink beer.  Ask about anything deep or intelligent or historical, etc and you'll get blank stares.  Happens to most folks anyhow. 

Recent Lesson Plans

Can Anyone Send Me a PDF Elementary Textbook? Help! by sweetjane2011
[Today at 06:47:53 AM]

Chinese New Year Vocabulary Game by eslkidz
[Today at 05:31:21 AM]

Exploring Our World Camp by Schellib39
[Yesterday at 06:19:39 PM]

Harry Potter Adventure RPG! by boboftroy
[Yesterday at 01:52:30 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment