February 21, 2017, 06:14:19 AM

Author Topic: Anyone in Daejeon?  (Read 3811 times)

Offline blue512

• Adventurer
Re: Anyone in Daejeon?
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2017, 09:54:34 PM »
There aren't many trash cans. You kind of have to look out for the honorary trash cans where people have started a little trash pile that you can add to...
On another note, I saw a Playstation store in Jungangno area, not the underground part.
Go to Jungangno station and go up the escalators. At the top you can see a little Convenience store and a coffee shop. Go up the stairs next to the Convenience store then go left up the stairs to the main street. You should be able to see it on the other side of the road.
I haven't been in there yet, but it is definitely open.

Is it near that famous bakey up top? Sung Sim Dang Bakery? I was just in that area again yesterday cause I had to go to SDot again. Will definitely check it out next time if I can find it. Thx!

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2017, 05:36:19 AM »
Hmm really? I must have bad timing then cause I've been to every Emart and Homeplus within miles of my area. Also I've been to tons of corner marts and even the shop in Timeworld. I did find fresh parsley at a local wholesale market and vanilla extract at a Homeplus but the price was insane. I'm hoping to take that trip to Costco this week so hopefully it won't be a waste of time. I heard that an American Costco membership will work here so hopefully that's true since I brought my card from home.

This may sound stupid but why are public trash cans nowhere to be found here? Or am I just an idiot? Every time I buy a drink or snack while walking I see myself carrying trash for miles cause there's no place to throw it out. Even out front of busy stores there are no trash cans, this makes no sense to me lol.

Korea-wide: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2015/12/399_155865.html
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline jimwall5

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2017, 12:17:59 PM »
There aren't many trash cans. You kind of have to look out for the honorary trash cans where people have started a little trash pile that you can add to...
On another note, I saw a Playstation store in Jungangno area, not the underground part.
Go to Jungangno station and go up the escalators. At the top you can see a little Convenience store and a coffee shop. Go up the stairs next to the Convenience store then go left up the stairs to the main street. You should be able to see it on the other side of the road.
I haven't been in there yet, but it is definitely open.

Is it near that famous bakey up top? Sung Sim Dang Bakery? I was just in that area again yesterday cause I had to go to SDot again. Will definitely check it out next time if I can find it. Thx!

It's not super near the bakery, but if you follow my directions when you use the subway you should be able to find it.

Offline blue512

• Adventurer
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2017, 03:40:08 PM »
Korea-wide: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2015/12/399_155865.html

For a country that claims to be so advanced I find it kinda funny that they can't even deal with everyday trash properly lol. I'm still not used to having to sort out everything I throw away separately at home and it annoys me every time, especially that separate food bin. I live in an apartment building and everyday that bin is filled with half eaten, rotting food and it's beyond disgusting. I can't imagine how gross it will be when warm weather comes and we have a million bugs all around the trash area outside. Not too mention the wonderful smells that will be blowing through the air smh.   

Offline smun50

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2017, 05:21:24 PM »
A trick is to put your food trash bag in the freezer, and throw it out when it gets full. :)

Offline wynislyfe22

• Explorer
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2017, 10:54:30 AM »
I still cant get used to the no trash can thing, that's extremely annoying. However I actually don't mind the trash separation. I think its a good idea to separate them and it helps the environment in the long run, it's not difficult once you get the hang of it. I feel like its something I'll probably keep doing after I leave Korea. As the previous poster said, just stick the bag in the freezer in the summer time. Now since its cold I leave my bag out on my my balcony.

Offline SuperSaiyanSensei

• Adventurer
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2017, 12:51:12 PM »
The self separation here is a great idea as it cuts costs massively. Just think about the processing plants needed to sort through all that rubbish, they cost a bomb to run and probably put out a ton of emissions themselves. Though on the other hand the bins thing could do with being addressed. I know that some buildings have large bins out back for everyone in the apartment to use so that after its separated you just dump it in the corresponding bin.

Offline blue512

• Adventurer
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2017, 07:54:03 PM »
Every time I walk all I smell is sewage, Korean food, trash, car exhaust, and cigarette smoke. Ever since I got here my lungs probably hate me now cause I can't even take a nice deep breath of fresh air most of the time. I'm sure it will be much worse when warm weather hits lol. The sewage smell is particularly something I will never get used to, you just don't smell that back in the states but here it's everywhere.

Did manage to walk to Costco last week and I've never walked that much in my life. Almost died walking back home ha. Didn't have as much as I hoped but it was ok. Western foods are insanely overpriced and some things are just impossible to find here so I just have to accept that. Asked my family back home to ship me some stuff so hopefully there's no issue at customs.

Offline blue512

• Adventurer
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2017, 04:07:36 AM »
Has anyone been to the Jungang Market? If so would you recommend it? Looking on the map it seems close to Costco so I wouldn't mind taking that long walk again if it's cool. I've been to that Yuseong market that opens every 5 days and it was pretty fun.

Offline jamesdeluk

• Explorer
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2017, 06:37:09 AM »
Moving to 대전 in a month ;D

Has anyone found any martial arts clubs? I'm assuming there is TKD around.

Also, archery? Apparently there's a cool place in 유성구.

Offline blue512

• Adventurer
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2017, 01:55:54 AM »
Does this country put salt on the ground for snow storms and ice? It snowed a few days ago and the streets were iced up and frozen and there are still lots of areas that are dangerous but I haven't seen any salt on the ground or a single snow truck. For that matter I haven't seen a single person with a shovel trying to clear anything. Is this just normal for Korea?

Living in America my whole life I'm just not used to seeing this and it kinda pissed me off. This is a country where walking is everything so wouldn't you figure that they would do more to keep the roads safe and not like ice rinks? I went out today and the walking bridges are still covered with ice, side streets are still frozen death traps, and there are icy spots everywhere. I'm sorry but this is completely unacceptable to me.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2017, 12:45:15 PM »
Does this country put salt on the ground for snow storms and ice? It snowed a few days ago and the streets were iced up and frozen and there are still lots of areas that are dangerous but I haven't seen any salt on the ground or a single snow truck. For that matter I haven't seen a single person with a shovel trying to clear anything. Is this just normal for Korea?

Living in America my whole life I'm just not used to seeing this and it kinda pissed me off. This is a country where walking is everything so wouldn't you figure that they would do more to keep the roads safe and not like ice rinks? I went out today and the walking bridges are still covered with ice, side streets are still frozen death traps, and there are icy spots everywhere. I'm sorry but this is completely unacceptable to me.

Yeh, after the snowfall on Thursday I was surprised to see the roads were not being gritted at all.  I went to the immigration office and normally busy roads would naturally be cleared of snow but there was no grit as evening approached and the temperature dropped.  It seems to be up to residents or business owners to grit the pavements though.  Having lived in Sweden for a number of years, the pavements are usually always packed snow and ice and generally very slippery.  But then again Sweden is not a great gritter as they think it kills plants and wildlife near the road, and they also legally have to have snow tyres as well. 

Offline Embarr

• Veteran
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2017, 04:55:50 PM »
Guys, is there an American style grocery store around here? It seems like basic things from the states are impossible to get here. I'm looking for things like dawn dishwashing soap, dial antibacterial hand soap(not the bars), paprika, kosher salt, vanilla extract, parsley, mint, etc. I heard there's a Costco in Daejeon but I don't think I'm close to it and I doubt they will have everything anyway. I have a feeling that I'll probably have to have family back home to ship some of this stuff to me. Also is there a restaurant supply place in the area?

You should be able to find some of those things in random Homeplus or Emarts. I live close to the Bus station, which has an Emart and a Homeplus. I saw Dial antibacterial soap in Emart last week. They randomly stocks American spices and foods. However I've only ever seen powdered vanilla extract (Yeah i didnt know that was a thing either). If all else fails try iHerb.com

This is kind of a late reply, but if you're in desperate need of vanilla extract lotte mart in Techno Valley (관평동) has vanilla extract. Also, food coloring (not the liquid drops, the paste stuff). There's also some pies in the freezer section at the moment, though you need a good sized oven for those.

iherb.com is a good resource too.

There's also a baking supply shop near Yongmun station. https://www.facebook.com/BakingSuppliesStoreDaejeon/

Offline blue512

• Adventurer
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2017, 02:11:28 AM »
Yeh, after the snowfall on Thursday I was surprised to see the roads were not being gritted at all.  I went to the immigration office and normally busy roads would naturally be cleared of snow but there was no grit as evening approached and the temperature dropped.  It seems to be up to residents or business owners to grit the pavements though.  Having lived in Sweden for a number of years, the pavements are usually always packed snow and ice and generally very slippery.  But then again Sweden is not a great gritter as they think it kills plants and wildlife near the road, and they also legally have to have snow tyres as well.

I'm scared of what's gonna happen if we get a big storm here now after what I saw last week. So no snow plows and no salt on the roads umm ok if we get a foot of snow all civilization must stop until it all melts smh. I seriously don't get this at all.

Embarr, thx so much for the info. Ended up having some vanilla extract shipped from home. Did find some at Homeplus but the price was insane and the amount was tiny. Is that baking supply shop still in business? Their last fb post was in 2013 so idk. Is Yongmun Station near the Lotte mall area? I definitely wanna check that place out if it's still in business thx so much.

Offline jamesdeluk

• Explorer
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2017, 06:02:12 AM »
Korea seems to have been functioning with snowy winters thus far. I'm sure if it was that big of a problem they'd do something about it.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2017, 06:56:45 AM »

Snow doesn't stay here long enough to warrant plows and salt.  But on rare occasion, you can see salt trucks when the snow comes followed by a deep freeze.  Last year my city had salt trucks go around.  I saw them, but it's the only winter I've ever seen them here.  Most of the time, the temps go above 0 in the daytime.  But last year there was snow followed by a freeze where temps didn't get above 0 for a few days.  So, the salt trucks were out.  Usually, the salt trucks only get out on the expressways due to higher speeds being driven on those roads. 

As for Canada, most provinces use a mix of salt and sand or some other mix to try and minimize salt.  However, its so cold that salt still needs to be used even if it can be bad for the environment.  It's a safety issue. 

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2017, 02:18:00 PM »

Snow doesn't stay here long enough to warrant plows and salt.  But on rare occasion, you can see salt trucks when the snow comes followed by a deep freeze.  Last year my city had salt trucks go around.  I saw them, but it's the only winter I've ever seen them here.  Most of the time, the temps go above 0 in the daytime.  But last year there was snow followed by a freeze where temps didn't get above 0 for a few days.  So, the salt trucks were out.  Usually, the salt trucks only get out on the expressways due to higher speeds being driven on those roads. 

As for Canada, most provinces use a mix of salt and sand or some other mix to try and minimize salt.  However, its so cold that salt still needs to be used even if it can be bad for the environment.  It's a safety issue.

Lately beet juice is being used, following the US' footsteps.
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline jamesdeluk

• Explorer
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2017, 08:03:07 PM »
following the US' footsteps
You mean because of the mass immigration post Trump? :laugh:

Offline Embarr

• Veteran
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2017, 10:45:51 AM »

I'm scared of what's gonna happen if we get a big storm here now after what I saw last week. So no snow plows and no salt on the roads umm ok if we get a foot of snow all civilization must stop until it all melts smh. I seriously don't get this at all.

Embarr, thx so much for the info. Ended up having some vanilla extract shipped from home. Did find some at Homeplus but the price was insane and the amount was tiny. Is that baking supply shop still in business? Their last fb post was in 2013 so idk. Is Yongmun Station near the Lotte mall area? I definitely wanna check that place out if it's still in business thx so much.

I think they're still open, though it is a bit of a walk from the subway station, so I suggest going on a warmer day. They've got the big Lotte department store (basically a mall in some ways) by that stop, which has a lotte cinema. There's also a Say department store a little closer to your area, I think, close to tanbang. You just go straight out of exit 4, and turn right at Homeplus. 

Offline blue512

• Adventurer
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2017, 06:35:08 PM »
I think I know the Homeplus you're talking about so I'll take a look this week hopefully. Btw, I really miss Wal-mart and Wegmans. Living here a few weeks I realize how lucky we have it in the US when it comes to EVERYTHING.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment