November 18, 2017, 11:50:56 PM

Author Topic: Italian university switches to English  (Read 1616 times)

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
Italian university switches to English
« on: May 17, 2012, 06:46:39 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17958520

tl;dr

one of Italy's leading universities - the Politecnico di Milano - is going to switch to the English language.
Professor Azzone says a university wants to reach the widest market in ideas - and English has become the language of higher education, particularly in science and engineering.

"I would have preferred if Italian was the common language, it would have been easier for me - but we have to accept real life," he says.

When English is the language of international business, he also believes that learning in English will make his students more employable.
there are more than 4,500 university courses now being taught in English in continental Europe.

This is expanding in Asia, with countries such as South Korea using more English.

"There is no question but that English is rapidly expanding as a language of instruction worldwide,"

Offline wrinklebump

• Expert Waygook
Re: Italian university switches to English
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 10:01:37 PM »
i must say, teaching italian professors english sounds rather glorious.
Livin in a pathetic epidemic with schizophrenics buyin synthetic bodies on credit

Offline peasgoodnonsuch

• Featured Contributor
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 11:12:10 AM »
New life plan: Wait until 2014 to go to grad school so I can do it over there! It sounds like HEAVEN! Although Milano is sort of the pits compared to the other cities in Northern Italy. But it's close to Cinque Terre, so that's good enough for me....

EDIT: My hopes are crushed....all the majors are in engineering, architecture and math  :o ㅠ.ㅠ;;
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 11:14:04 AM by peasgoodnonsuch »

Offline woman-king

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 11:15:41 AM »
New life plan: Wait until 2014 to go to grad school so I can do it over there! It sounds like HEAVEN! Although Milano is sort of the pits compared to the other cities in Northern Italy. But it's close to Cinque Terre, so that's good enough for me....

+1

First I thought "Dang, that's sad evidence of cultural erosion."

This was quickly replaced with "ZOMG if this trend continues there could be TONS of job openings in Europe...so many that there won't be enough UK citizens to fill them and they'll have to open up English teaching positions to Americans in the EU!"    :D

Offline Hoosier_Jedi

• Expert Waygook
  • I'm a knight of my own republic.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 06:36:28 AM »

+1

First I thought "Dang, that's sad evidence of cultural erosion."

This was quickly replaced with "ZOMG if this trend continues there could be TONS of job openings in Europe...so many that there won't be enough UK citizens to fill them and they'll have to open up English teaching positions to Americans in the EU!"    :D

I'm pulling for that too. I might not ever leave if I could set up shop in Europe.

Offline Jeff619

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 10:59:52 AM »
i must say, teaching italian professors english sounds rather glorious.
I've actually got a buddy who spent three years here in Korea and then went to Italy.  He's been there four years now and he said in a lot of ways it's very similar to Korea.  He's been staying there for the money but really wants to get out. 

Offline livzy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 02:42:22 PM »
A friend of mine taught there for two years. He speaks fluently but found it very tough to save any money.

Offline thecosmopolitanchild

• Waygookin
  • thecosmopolitanchild.com
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 10:45:41 AM »
Ha... maybe I'll teach English while I'm attending grad school in Venice. :)
http://www.emahumanrights.org/

Offline kps1

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 11:01:13 AM »
Well, if they want more partner universities and to "globalize" it has to be done. A lot of questions at these study abroad conferences lead off with "How many courses are taught in English?" and " What are the TEOFL/ ibt requirements for entry?".

Offline tails

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 09:50:52 PM »
I think it is an average idea, a better solution would be to teach the first 2 years in Italian with the final year in English.  The students would study  English alongside their degree in the first 2 years.

The reason the university has made this decision is purely financial, but I guess that is to be expected.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.