October 19, 2018, 02:06:10 AM

Author Topic: Harry Potter Camp  (Read 244269 times)

Offline jimwall5

• Veteran
Re: Harry Potter Camp
« Reply #300 on: July 04, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »
I did an escape room for my last camp and it went well. I've planned another one to go with the Harry Potter camp. I haven't completely finished it, but I've included my planning so far, including PPTs with combination locks they have to solve.

Offline SamBunny

• Explorer
« Reply #301 on: July 25, 2017, 03:38:50 PM »
I made a role-play PPT since the weather has been garbage and I'm afraid we won't get to go outside to play the Harry Potter vs. Voldemort game (using imperatives).

The script matches the YBM 3rd and 4th grade books. The role-play PPT is intended for 4th grade. I have never had these students before so unfortunately I couldn't cater the script exactly for them. I literally only have them for a week-long, 3 hour a day summer camp.

For a printable script, see pages 12-13 of my Lesson Plan. You will need to format it to fit on one page for printing as my comp didn't save the changes I made :/ sorry.

Also, I apologize in advance for my sloppy lesson plan. I'm a new teacher and I had a week to put everything together :/ The next week with my 3rd grade will be much better.

Offline bora0618

• Newgookin
« Reply #302 on: December 28, 2017, 03:22:43 PM »
so nice!

Offline payetme

• Explorer
« Reply #303 on: August 02, 2018, 01:37:45 PM »
This is my first time posting, but a previous Harry Potter camp post helped me out so much, I thought it only fair I post my version of it.

I will post each day separately. This first post just includes a few decor items and some random materials that isn't specific for a particular day. 

Offline payetme

• Explorer
« Reply #304 on: August 02, 2018, 01:53:00 PM »
Day 1

I sorted students into houses using the SORTING HAT ppt. As they were placed in their house, I gave them a colored tie to match their house along with a name label to put onto their tie.

I then went through the 1st day ppt that explains the rules, house points(how to gain and lose), classes and owl post.

In the ppt that explains house points, there is a part that says they can get house points if they find the golden snitch. For this, I took one Ferrero Rocher chocolate everyday and hid it in the room, if the student found it they got a house point and they could eat it(students loved this).

Students then went shopping in Diagon Alley and made their wands. For this they used clay, paint and skewer sticks.

(I had intentions of them making cauldrons and house banners, but students took so long with their wands, that there was no time)

We ended the class with a 25 minute HP movie clip, followed by their owl post.

Offline payetme

• Explorer
« Reply #305 on: August 02, 2018, 02:10:31 PM »
Day 2

Game - Pin the scar on HP (just an adapted version of pin the tail on the donkey)

Game - Bingo (in the word document there is an URL, if you copy and paste this URL in a browser it will take you to a bingo card generator, I have included words I used for my bingo in the document)

Game: Dragon egg relay (I covered boiled eggs in layers of foil, between each layer I placed a paper. Each paper indicated a different task for the student to complete i.e maze, puzzle and matching activity. After a student completed their activity they gave the egg to next team member who would peel another layer of the foil to find their task)

Offline payetme

• Explorer
« Reply #306 on: August 02, 2018, 02:24:04 PM »
Day 3

Elves lesson - There is an URL that links to a youtube video The elf and the shoemaker.
                  - Game: Hide the elf ( in their houses, students race to completely cover a team member in toilet paper,
                                                   this is done by placing the toilet roll paper on a pen and running around the other
                                                   person. I play music, every time the music stops, the students change turns. The
                                                   game ends when their toilet roll paper is finished)

Unicorn jars -  This requires salt, colored chalk and a jar for each student. If you roll/rub the chalk against the salt, it changes the color of the salt. Students layer different colored salts in their jar. I used blue, pink and yellow chalk, from these 3 colors students created other colors.

"Charlie the unicorn" is just a short funny video.

Offline payetme

• Explorer
« Reply #307 on: August 02, 2018, 02:37:39 PM »
Day 4

Game - Steal the snitch (like the traditional "steal the bacon" which can be found on youtube. I used lollipops, every
            lollipop they managed to steal they could keep)

Magic Ice-cream -  You need flavored milk, ice, salt, 2 plastic bags(1 big, 1 small). Place the milk in the small bag. Put ice in the big bag and add salt. Then put the milk bag into the bigger bag that has the ice and salt. Make sure all the bags are sealed properly or your students end up with salty ice cream. Shake the bags. The salt lowers the freezing point of the water, the ice melts but it gets very cold. After about 2 minutes of shaking the bag, the milk freezes.

Goblin draw game explanation is in the document Defense of the dark arts in my first post.

Offline jimwall5

• Veteran
« Reply #308 on: August 02, 2018, 02:39:22 PM »
I tried the ice cream thing today too! It didn't work for me...yours looks great.

Offline payetme

• Explorer
« Reply #309 on: August 02, 2018, 02:50:13 PM »
Day 5

Students do a photo scavenger hunt which is worth a big number of points(even a losing house can make a comeback if they win this scavenger hunt).

Thereafter, awards are given to the winning house and we end with a party.

I've included all the ingredients I used for the potions.

Offline payetme

• Explorer
« Reply #310 on: August 02, 2018, 02:51:46 PM »
I tried the ice cream thing today too! It didn't work for me...yours looks great.

The first week it didn't work because I didn't use enough ice, so it could possibly be that?

Offline lizhemrich

• Newgookin
« Reply #311 on: August 24, 2018, 10:12:32 AM »
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this post!  I did a Harry Potter camp this past summer with mainly 3rd and 4th graders (2 periods a day, for 4 days) and it went over very well. 

I'll post the material I used.  Most, if not all, of the material comes from other Waygook users.  I have just simply added more translations to help with lower-level students. 

I've included a Lesson Plan, as well.

The Potions PPT outlines instructions to make ice cream using plastic baggies.  One class was fairly successful in this project, but I had another class that had no luck.  Not sure why that happened...maybe we used slightly thicker bags in the second class and it didn't get as cold as it should've been.

The Magic Tricks PPT is one I created.  It just goes over two easy magic tricks.  I did the first one (turn water into ice) for the class, but I had them make their own cups for the second trick so they could show it to their parents (disappearing coin trick).  They loved it.

The students LOVED the scavenger hunt, as well.  I have never seen them run that fast!  I had them split into their 4 houses and used color-coordinated paper for the clues.  For example: Gryffindor could only open the RED clues, Hufflepuff = Yellow, Slytherin = Green, and Ravenclaw = Blue.   The last clue says "look under Liz Teacher's desk"...that's because I had candy hiding under there for when they finished!

The Harry Potter Bomb game (using a template that someone posted on Waygook) is just a fun game to review.

Offline auntlizzi

• Waygookin
10 Day Harry Potter Camp
« Reply #312 on: September 05, 2018, 12:06:58 PM »
I did a Harry Potter theme for our summer English camp and it went really well, so I figured Iíd share my materials here. Some are my own, and some are ideas and/or materials that I reworked from other Waygook postsÖa big thank you to the original creators! Iíll post each dayís materials separately.

It was a two week (10 day) camp. There were two classes. Level 1 was 3rd/4th grade and Level 2 was 5th/6th grade (although I ended up not having any 6th graders). Each level had a max of 20 students. Classes were 80 minutes each (two 40-minute periods).

Students were sorted into houses on the first day, and throughout camp they earned points by playing games, good participation, cleaning up well, etc. Each team had a house cup (jar with their house crest on it), and points were pompom balls in their house color.

Every morning started with 10 minutes of reading time. Our school used a good chunk of our camp grant money on a set of Oxford Reading Tree books, so it was important for us to use them during camp. The kids wrote down every book they read in their camp workbook, and at the end of camp they got a point for each book they read. They could also read books during breaks, etc. if they wanted to earn extra house points. I always had students arriving late, so having reading time at the beginning of every class allowed camp to start on time while making sure the latecomers didnít miss much.

The camp workbook has a lot more material than we actually used in class. Each day, we would do one of that dayís worksheets (usually the matching worksheet). Students could then do the rest of them (or do the incomplete worksheets from previous days) to earn extra house points during break times. This and the library kept them busy whenever they had finished a game/activity and other students were not yet done.

I tried to remember to embed the fonts in the PPTs, so hopefully I didnít miss any. The only one that isnít embedded is the Harry P font, because PPT wouldnít allow it, so I tried to remember to save those items as images instead. The daily outline isnít necessarily in the order that we did the activities, and we often didnít have time to do everything (which is why some of activities are reworked and added to later lessons).

Hope these are helpful!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 12:11:01 PM by auntlizzi »

Offline auntlizzi

• Waygookin
10 Day Harry Potter Camp - Day 1 (Welcome to Hogwarts)
« Reply #313 on: September 05, 2018, 12:18:10 PM »
Day 1 - Welcome to Hogwarts

Camp Introduction - Harry Potter basics, characters, houses

Sorting into Houses
- Each student received a wizard hat, name tag, and a house sticker for their name tag.

House Badges - Students made felt badges in their house colors to pin on their hats.

Welcome Telepathy - Basic telepathy game. Teams write one of the four options and get points according to what is revealed underneath.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 03:28:10 PM by auntlizzi »

Offline auntlizzi

• Waygookin
10 Day Harry Potter Camp - Day 2 (Diagon Alley)
« Reply #314 on: September 05, 2018, 12:29:04 PM »
Day 2 - Diagon Alley (Shopping)

Diagon Alley Intro - Introducing magical objects

Diagon Alley Auction - Teams each get 50 galleons (we used plastic gold coins). Teams bid on various magical objects, which are awarded to the highest bidder. After all items are sold, secret points for each item are revealed. The team with the most points wins. The secret points allow teams that aren't good at managing their money to still have a chance to win. The students really got into this game.

Wand Making - Students make their own magic wands using paper, chopsticks, tissue, glue, and decorations.

Diagon Alley Mystery Bag - A combination of the basic mystery box game and the higher/lower game. Teams take turns guessing the price of each item, with the teacher saying higher or lower until one team gets the correct answer. This team then chooses to keep what's in the mystery bag or give it to another team. We used the plastic gold coins again to keep track of points.

Wizard Duel - Divide students into two teams. One student from each team comes to the front and stands facing away from the screen. When they hear the magic spell, they quickly turn around. First student to correctly read the screen gets a point for their team.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 02:07:02 PM by auntlizzi »

Offline auntlizzi

• Waygookin
10 Day Harry Potter Camp - Day 3 (Hogwarts Library)
« Reply #315 on: September 05, 2018, 12:42:08 PM »
Day 3 - Hogwarts Library

Library Hunt - Teams receive a list of objects to find in the pictures of our school's English books.

Alphabet Race - Using the school's English books, students work in pairs to find a word containing each letter of the alphabet. They get points based on where in the word the letter is placed.

Word Battle - Played in groups. Each student chooses an English book. Each group has a set of cards that indicate the location of a word in the books (page #, line #, word #). Students take turns drawing a card. Everyone in the group looks up the word in their book, and the student whose word comes first in alphabetical order wins the card.

Bookmarks - Students make bookmarks in their House colors.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 02:19:34 PM by auntlizzi »

Offline auntlizzi

• Waygookin
10 Day Harry Potter Camp - Day 4 (Magical Creatures)
« Reply #316 on: September 05, 2018, 12:49:06 PM »
Day 4 - Magical Creatures (Animals)

Dragon Escape - Same as the Send the Ninjas game. Teams choose an animal on which to place their token, and then the teacher sends in the dragons. Teams get points if they escape the dragons.

Scrambled Dragon Eggs - Relay race. Each team has a set of plastic eggs in a basket at the opposite end of the room (I used their house colors to make it easier to keep track of them and to stay with the theme of the camp). The eggs each have letters inside that spell the name of an animal. One at a time, students retrieve an egg in a spoon. They then unscramble the letters and glue them on a piece of paper. Teams race to finish first.

Hidden Picture (Hidden Creatures) - Basic hidden picture game. Teams take turns choosing a letter to reveal part of a hidden picture. The team that correctly guesses the animal gets the point.

My Magical Creature - Students create and draw their own magical creature.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 03:30:52 PM by auntlizzi »

Offline auntlizzi

• Waygookin
10 Day Harry Potter Camp - Day 5 (Time Travel)
« Reply #317 on: September 05, 2018, 12:54:38 PM »
Day 5 - Time Travel (Calendar)

Time Travel Spelling Race - Team members take turns retrieving one letter at a time from their basket at the opposite end of the room. Teams race to spell three of the vocabulary words displayed on the screen.

Calendar Hunt - Monthly calendars are posted around the room. Teams receive a list of questions and race to find the answers on the calendars.

Time Turner Battle - Similar to the typhoon game. Teams choose a square on the grid and gain or lose points based on what's underneath.

Calendar Duel - Samok/omok game. Played in pairs. Students take turns choosing squares on the game board. Each time they get four in a row they get a point.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 02:32:38 PM by auntlizzi »

Offline auntlizzi

• Waygookin
10 Day Harry Potter Camp - Day 6 (Defense Against the Dark Arts)
« Reply #318 on: September 05, 2018, 01:03:16 PM »
Day 6 - Defense Against the Dark Arts (Body Parts/Colors)

Reading Battle - Last student standing game. Students choose to move to Side A or Side B in the room, and then read the sentence for their side. They then find out if they survive or if they are out for that round. Play continues until one student wins the round, then starts over.

Monster Dominoes - Played in groups. Each group gets a set of dominoes with colored monsters on them. They play a basic game of dominoes, matching any monsters that have something in common (e.g., four eyes, red horns, etc.). My students didn't know or follow the standard rules of domino placement...they just placed their dominoes wherever they saw an opening. It didn't matter...they still had fun.

Two Headed Monster Relay - Each team has a basket of body part cards. Two team members draw a card and have to go touch the opposite wall and come back while keeping those two body parts touching (e.g., elbow to shoulder). Teams race to finish all cards first.

Note: I decided it was safer to pair up the body parts myself instead of it being random, so I created a different version of the cards that had two body parts on each card. However, I somehow managed to accidentally delete the second version, so I've attached the original instead. If I find the updated one, I'll add it to the post.

Dice Monsters - Played in groups. Players roll the dice three times. The first roll tells them which body part to draw. The second roll tells them the color it will be. The third roll tells them how many of that part to draw. The first player to complete a monster wins.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 03:32:26 PM by auntlizzi »

Offline auntlizzi

• Waygookin
10 Day Harry Potter Camp - Day 7 (Navigation)
« Reply #319 on: September 05, 2018, 01:09:23 PM »
Day 7 - Navigation (Prepositions of Place)

Word Scramble - Basic unscramble game. Teams have to unscramble words shown on the screen. We used some of our camp money on magnetic letter tiles, so the students used the tiles to spell the words on their white boards instead of markers. For the Level 1 students, I separated out only the letters they would need for the game. Level 2 students had to search through the whole set to find the letters they needed.

Find the Wizard Gold - Teams choose a location on the map and gain or lose points based on what's underneath. We used the plastic gold coins again to keep track of points.

Navigation Duel - Samok/omok game. Played in pairs. Students take turns choosing squares on the game board. Each time they get four in a row they get a point. (The Level 1 class didn't have time to play this on Day 5, so I modified it for Day 7.)

Hogsmeade Map Race - Team members take turns retrieving a clue from their basket at the opposite end of the room. Teams race to label their map using the clues.

Exploding Cauldrons - Same as the Bang! game. Played in groups. Players take turns drawing a numbered stick and reading the corresponding sentence on the screen. If they draw a blank stick, they lose all of their sticks. Player with the most sticks at the end wins.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 03:33:33 PM by auntlizzi »