November 18, 2017, 08:12:35 PM

Author Topic: Harry Potter Camp  (Read 201511 times)

Offline teacherteacherteacher

• Veteran
Re: Harry Potter Camp
« Reply #240 on: November 12, 2012, 11:47:11 AM »
I am still reading through all the materials, this camp is going to be awesome! I am doing the camp solo with 20 mixed level elementary kids for a solid three weeks so I need something to engage them constantly. THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS SHARED HERE! I wanted to mention: DRY ICE IS AVAILABLE AT BASKIN ROBBINS. you might have to buy something to get it, but you can always ask for extra!

Offline thunderlips

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #241 on: November 26, 2012, 01:44:06 PM »
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I will be using this. Ill update some materials I make and a lesson plan as it goes along.
Kor Share at jcink

Offline blacklight

• Waygookin
« Reply #242 on: December 11, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
Hey all,

Does anyone know how to get .smi files to play either on GOMplayer, RealPlayer or any of the other players that are recommended for those types of files? I even downloaded AppleQuicktime and it still won't do it.

I am trying to get Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 for my winter camp, with Korean subtitles. I've gone to cineast.go.kr and gomtv.com but I really don't know Korean so I have no idea what I am doing. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the .smi files seem to be not that big at like 19KB. Is that the movie or some other type of file? If someone can post a direct link, that would be great.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Offline Zeegs

• Featured Contributor
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #243 on: December 11, 2012, 12:14:59 PM »
@blacklight The .smi is the subtitle file only, you still need to have the proper movie file. The movie will usuallky have .avi file name. Also subtitle files are made for very specific versions of the movie, if you get the wrong movie file it will not synch up the words properly. VLC player is a great video player with lots of subtitle options. You can get it at videolan.org.

best bet is to check the exact title of your subtitle file then look for the torrent for the movie with the same name.

Offline annekat

• Veteran
« Reply #244 on: December 12, 2012, 10:26:08 AM »

I am trying to get Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 for my winter camp, with Korean subtitles. I've gone to cineast.go.kr and gomtv.com but I really don't know Korean so I have no idea what I am doing. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, I have the subtitle files for both Deathly Hallows here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzQzgLWBrpNUYTExMzY5ZDUtZGVhOC00MDI3LWEzNzUtNjhjNWY3NmQzMjcz

We watched it during my camp last year. You'll need to find the movie on  your own.
Just open the movie file in gom player and drag the subtitles file on top of the movie. Works really well. If the subtitles are off sync a bit you can adjust it by 0.5 seconds at a time with the < and > keys.
__You can't make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt__
and who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time???

Offline prigov

• Adventurer
« Reply #245 on: December 24, 2012, 09:34:07 AM »
I'm doing a HP camp this winter for my elementary students and thanks to all these resources I'm really excited. I'm going to play a few card games with them. Attached is the card template I used to make my cards. It's pretty small - saving space and paper where possible. Grades 1 and 2 will mostly play memory matching and Go Fish. The older students will play Go Fish and a Who am I guessing game. Hope it's useful to someone else.

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #246 on: December 28, 2012, 08:57:22 AM »
I've had a few requests for the zip file of my Harry Potter camp since megaupload got taken down. I've put it on a different file hosting site and I've tried to make a torrent of it but I'm not sure if this site will let me upload the torrent file. Sorry I didn't post it earlier I've been out of the country for the last 6 months or so.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/406523/Harry_potter_camp_winter_2010.7z

Yeah I can't post the torrent file. I'll try to post a link to it on a torrent site.

Offline smurdock83

• Waygookin
Harry Potter Camp- BINGO CARDS(4)
« Reply #247 on: December 28, 2012, 10:23:21 AM »
Hey all,

I love this idea. I am doing group bingo and I only have four groups so that's why there are only four diferent cards.

Enjoy

Offline gwonmigyeong

• Explorer
« Reply #248 on: December 28, 2012, 01:15:11 PM »
thanks

Offline sbeau

• Waygookin
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1
« Reply #249 on: January 09, 2013, 08:37:33 AM »
Here's a workbook I put together to go along with the last Harry Potter movie and some activity PPTs/worksheets. Could be useful for a Middle/High School camp or after school class. It went really well with my students, who are mostly low level. It really helps to have a good co-teacher, though, or at least a few mid-level students to help lower level students with some of the more difficult worksheets.

Offline jenjen51184

• Waygookin
« Reply #250 on: January 09, 2013, 09:45:13 AM »
Here's a Sorting Hat powerpoint I made. It's got animation taken from part of the first movie and audio taken from the Harry Potter Spells app for iPod/iPhone. There is an intro dialogue and one message per house.

I had the kids come up to the screen and touch it to get sorted, then gave them a name tag to fill out with their house crest on it and moved them to their group table. It is set up for the number of students I was expecting, but is easily changed. When I transferred it from Mac at home to PC at school there was a problem with the audio that made it less cool for the students, but I have it fixed for the next group.

I've zipped the powerpoint with the .wav audio files, keep them in the same folder. If you need an unzipping program google 7-zip, it's been working nicely for me.

You are a LIFE SAVER. Thank you so much.

Offline wreaves

• Waygookin
« Reply #251 on: January 09, 2013, 12:07:05 PM »
I'm teaching a Harry Potter camp for 5th graders next week and this thread has me SO excited for it! I've attached a set of scrolls for sorting the students into their houses--the classroom I'll be teaching in lacks a Smartboard, so I'm having the students draw scrolls from a witch's hat.

THANKS to everyone on the thread! I'm tweaking/creating some new materials and will post those after I've run the camp!  ;D

Question to those who have run an HP camp before: How did you keep track of points among the Houses? I have a PPT that I can use to do it on the computer, but I'd like the students to be able to look at the point tracker at any time so they can know where their house stands. I'm thinking about printing a big posterboard with all the houses and then putting up stickable stars for points. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:27:35 PM by wreaves »

Offline annekat

• Veteran
« Reply #252 on: January 10, 2013, 11:09:34 AM »

Question to those who have run an HP camp before: How did you keep track of points among the Houses? I have a PPT that I can use to do it on the computer, but I'd like the students to be able to look at the point tracker at any time so they can know where their house stands. I'm thinking about printing a big posterboard with all the houses and then putting up stickable stars for points. Any suggestions?

Hey Wreaves,

I made a point sheet and used small coloured stickers to track points.
Here is my point sheet: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzQzgLWBrpNUNzM1MGJkMDItZmFlMy00MDdiLTk3NWQtMDg2N2I2OTI1MDQ3

NOTE: download and print from word, doesn't work well in google docs. You might need to install the HP fonts too. https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0BzQzgLWBrpNUZjRiYzI5YzQtODdkMC00ZTg5LTkwNzAtNWMwNjc3ZmM1MzFm/edit

It looks like the hour glasses that they have in the book/movie. You can buy the tiny dot stickers, they come in red/blue/yellow/green/white and are about 1,000 won for a pack of 15 sheets. They work great as each house gets a different colour so they can't steal points from the other teams.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:12:12 AM by annekat »
__You can't make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt__
and who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time???

Offline JT080

• Adventurer
« Reply #253 on: January 13, 2013, 10:22:36 PM »
I've had a few requests for the zip file of my Harry Potter camp since megaupload got taken down. I've put it on a different file hosting site and I've tried to make a torrent of it but I'm not sure if this site will let me upload the torrent file. Sorry I didn't post it earlier I've been out of the country for the last 6 months or so.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/406523/Harry_potter_camp_winter_2010.7z

Yeah I can't post the torrent file. I'll try to post a link to it on a torrent site.

Appreciate the reupload!

Offline rocketeerjoe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #254 on: January 24, 2013, 09:53:53 AM »
I love the potions lists people made here, so I came up with a revised version with my own ingredients and visuals for them. Then I used a Halloween worksheet so the kids could list five ingredients and fill out their recipe using the template.

Also, I used some slides from the magical creatures PPT someone did along with my own for a trashball game at the end.

Also included are some herbology cards that I used for a separate class with second graders, just to supplement that lesson.
"If you want to change your direction. If your time of life is at hand. Well, then don't be the rule, be the exception. A good place to start is to stand. Just put one foot in front of the other." - Rankin Bass Santa Claus

Offline misterfisticuffs

• Waygookin
« Reply #255 on: February 05, 2013, 02:29:44 PM »
Harry Potter Dramas (Elementary)

I made some 1-act dramas based on scenes from the first Harry Potter movie.  For my camp, we had watched part of the movie already, so the students were already familiar with the scenes.  I printed out 6 pictures from each scene and had the students put them into sequence.  Then we checked the order with the PPT.

Next, we read through "Vanishing Glass" together.  The names of the scenes were a little advanced for my students, so I just refered to it as the "Snake" Scene.  Using the PPT, we walked through the scene and read each part line by line.  I also had pictures of the characters and pointed to the characters when we read their part.

After reading through a few times, we split our class into 2 teams and practiced the drama.  Students used a pen to underline their part.  (I printed the four scenes front-to-back on 2 sheets of B4 paper; you can it however you want)  In some cases, we had 2 students doing 1 part (2 snakes, for example).  We then performed the scene for the other group.

If you want to add some drama to your camp, I highly suggest these plays.  We had fun learning and performing them.

Offline prigov

• Adventurer
« Reply #256 on: February 06, 2013, 09:49:31 AM »
My HP camp went splendidly!!! The kids really enjoyed themselves too.

We did the spell duel, made i-foam house badges, played Steal the Snitch, completed missions, played cards and made potions.

Thanks everyone for all you stuff. Great help.

My kids are a bit too lower level for the Latin spell words so I used simple English words instead. The ppt I used is attached.

We made hot chocolate and mix sodas and juices for the potions, I've added this ppt as well and my missions.

Offline kalipsonoin

• Waygookin
« Reply #257 on: February 14, 2013, 01:25:28 PM »
I had a lot of fun with winter camp. It took my students a really long time to do the things I planned so I didn't get to use all of my activities.
I compiled a camp book from a bunch of other bits and pieces here, with some of my own stuff added. I also edited someone's game board to include a bunch of the vocabulary I introduced to my students.

Offline kalipsonoin

• Waygookin
« Reply #258 on: February 14, 2013, 01:33:13 PM »
Aaand here are some of the class-based Powerpoints I prepared. I had video clips from the movies to go with some of them, as well as the Mysterious Ticking Noise, which is on YouTube.

Offline kalipsonoin

• Waygookin
« Reply #259 on: February 14, 2013, 01:44:44 PM »
I also made this bomb game, but didn't get a chance to use it. I would triple-check it before you use it. The vocabulary, etc, is from the workbook and powerpoints in the last two posts.