November 18, 2017, 08:13:50 PM

Author Topic: Harry Potter Camp  (Read 201512 times)

Offline roxanneba

• Newgookin
Re: Harry Potter Camp
« Reply #200 on: December 20, 2011, 01:23:07 PM »
Hey, just have to say these ideas are great and you've saved me from a difficult 3 weeks of trying to pull some last minute stuff together.

Here is a print out I made, where you can cut out names and banners of houses to put in the sorting hat on the first class.

Offline annekat

• Veteran
« Reply #201 on: December 20, 2011, 01:45:59 PM »
OK. I  just finished my workbook for my middle school students. So here it is!
24 pages, publisher file, I've included all the HP fonts I used.
(I'm printing 2 sided, it works well with all the pages that go together being side by side)
You might want to know a bit about my camp plan before you download it, so here you go....

5 days x 4 classes, Middle school grades 1 and 2.
We are watching Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows parts 1 and 2. It breaks up to be about 55 minutes each day. I've added my start/ stop times. (these work with the questions in the workbook)

Monday
Introduction - HP names/sorting/banners
Wands - paper mache
History of Magic - what's Harry Potter
Film 1 (HP7pt1 00:00-00:55)

Tuesday
Potions
Care of Magical Creatures - dragons (origami)
Harry Potter Top Trumps
Film 2 (HP7pt1 00:55-01:50)

Wednesday
Care of Magical Creatures - centaurs
Defense Against Dark Arts - dueling
Divination - tea reading
Film 3 (HP7pt1 01:50-02:18end)(HP7pt2 00:00-00:25)

Thursday
Charms - cha cha slide dance
Defense Against Dark Arts - mafia game
Divination - tarot
Film 4 (HP7pt2 00:25-01:20)

Friday
Scavenger Hunt
Blockbuster Game
Defense Against Dark Arts - egg race/pizza party
Film 5 (HP7pt2 01:20-01:53end)

Most of my stuff has been found on this thread, and you've probably looked at is already if your on page 11 here. You can PM me if you have any questions about the workbook though.
Enjoy.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 03:09:08 PM by annekat »
__You can't make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt__
and who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time???

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #202 on: December 20, 2011, 02:00:02 PM »
Annekat,

This is probably an awesome workbook but...most people don't have publisher and can't open. I recommend adding a PDF of your workbook so people can view it. Office 2011 doesn't allow people to open publisher files. I don't know about other versions, but I'd say prob not.

OK. I  just finished my workbook for my middle school students. So here it is!
24 pages, publisher file, I've included all the HP fonts I used.
(I'm printing 2 sided, it works well with all the pages that go together being side by side)
You might want to know a bit about my camp plan before you download it, so here you go....

5 days x 4 classes, Middle school grades 1 and 2.
We are watching Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows parts 1 and 2. It breaks up to be about 55 minutes each day. I've added my start/ stop times. (these work with the questions in the workbook)

Monday
Introduction - HP names/sorting/banners
Wands - paper mache
History of Magic - what's Harry Potter
Film 1 (HP7pt1 00:00-00:55)

Tuesday
Potions
Care of Magical Creatures - dragons (origami)
Harry Potter Top Trumps
Film 2 (HP7pt1 00:55-01:50)

Wednesday
Care of Magical Creatures - centaurs
Defense Against Dark Arts - dueling
Divination - tea reading
Film 3 (HP7pt1 01:50-02:18end)(HP7pt2 00:00-00:25)

Thursday
Charms - cha cha slide dance
Defense Against Dark Arts - mafia game
Divination - tarot
Film 4 (HP7pt2 00:25-01:20)

Friday
Scavenger Hunt
Blockbuster Game
Defense Against Dark Arts - egg race/pizza party
Film 5 (HP7pt2 01:20-01:53end)

Most of my stuff has been found on this thread, and you've probably looked at is already if your on page 11 here. You can PM me if you have any questions about the workbook though.
Enjoy.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline annekat

• Veteran
« Reply #203 on: December 20, 2011, 02:45:42 PM »
Annekat,

This is probably an awesome workbook but...most people don't have publisher and can't open. I recommend adding a PDF of your workbook so people can view it. Office 2011 doesn't allow people to open publisher files. I don't know about other versions, but I'd say prob not.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know they couldn't open them... How odd. Well. I'll resave it, I'm stuck with Office 2003 on my work computer. Yay....

OK. That took a while to figure out. Here is the updated PDF file.

If you have oldschool office like me then you can download the .pub file in the zip and edit stuff. If not, well sorry. I tried converting it to a .doc and it just didn't want to do it. At least in the pdf you don't need to worry about the fonts right?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 03:06:00 PM by annekat »

Offline annekat

• Veteran
« Reply #204 on: December 22, 2011, 08:26:11 AM »
Wow that looks amazing, im wondering if it could possible work for elementary school students. Maybe just making the activities simplier and working on only a section of one movie could work.

Most of this thread is dedicated to elementary school students, so you shouldn't have a hard time finding stuff.
(after you get your 5 posts  you can download it)

Offline Steph

• Waygookin
« Reply #205 on: December 22, 2011, 09:23:27 AM »
I am also planning a Harry Potter winter camp.  I have been working on materials for a couple of weeks now.  I've used a lot of the materials already available on this thread and then fixed them up to my own liking.  I have also added a few things that I thought would be fun, including a Tea Reading Lesson.  I will be teaching a 3/4 grade and 5/6 grade elementary students, both using the same materials (although the level will be adjusted accordingly in class).  I see each class once a day for 40 minutes for 3 weeks.  So my camp is a 15 day-er.

I am posting:

-a calendar
-a lesson plan breakdown
-a workbook (pdf and doc)
-all my ppts
-a tea reading manual
-a materials list
-supplementary materials

You will notice that I have included a lot of extra “stuff” in my workbook that is not sited in the lesson plan.  That is because many of my activities are meant for pairs or small groups and I don’t want a lot of students sitting around chattering in Korean while the last group finishes the activity. 

Please let me know if you have any questions or if I’ve forgotten something.

Offline Steph

• Waygookin
« Reply #206 on: December 22, 2011, 10:16:48 AM »
And here are the rest of the materials. As said before...I borrowed and reworked many of these materials.  Thanks to everyone who has been posting on this thread!

Sorry...I can't upload my Wands or Divination ppt.  They are just too big.

Offline Steph

• Waygookin
« Reply #207 on: December 22, 2011, 10:25:57 AM »
Last two...plus Galleons.

Offline orozcom

• Waygookin
« Reply #208 on: December 22, 2011, 11:37:18 AM »
Last two...plus Galleons.

Steph,
  Your work is amazing and I think I can speak for everyone. When I say thank you for your hard work and all your help.  Thanks to amazing teachers like you my kids will have an even better time then expected at winter camp.

Offline Kimchi-Kennamer

• Adventurer
Re: Harry Potter English Camp (1week's worth)
« Reply #209 on: December 28, 2011, 10:34:53 PM »
Here is a ppt to sort the students into the four houses. This is best for a small winter camp group.
Also included is a short and simple memory exercise.
And a Dueling game powerpoint. Follow the directions in the lesson plan and alter the ppt to your needs.

Offline Frozencat99

• The Legend
  • #MoonPrincess
« Reply #210 on: January 02, 2012, 05:36:39 PM »
I'll have to remember to attach my stuff tomorrow. I had no idea this thread existed and have just about finished a Harry Potter camp (grade 3 and 4) myself. It seems I've done many things similarly to this thread...

1) I've directly taken the classes off of Wikipedia. Herbology is nationalistic in theme and teaches them about the national trees and flowers of countries with anthems (based on our staff, Canadian, South African, Korean, and American). Potions is a cooking and crafts class. Transfiguration is about learning the terms for aging (calf->cow, piglet->pig, etc). Charms is about the history of magical words. Order of the Phoenix is a slide show of famous magicians and their tricks. Tri-Wizard Cup for Sports Day... etc

2) I'm doing the obvious Sorting Hat idea :3.

3) I might be ordering some of the Harry Potter snacks (every flavour beans and chocolate frogs) to increase the theme.

4) I'm reinforcing not using Korean by teaching them some of the spells. Accio for calling for help/borrow something, Silencio for when they should be quiet, Lumos/Nox for turning the lights on and off.

5) Parchment acceptance letters :)
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

Offline Cranberryopah

• Super Waygook
« Reply #211 on: January 02, 2012, 07:53:30 PM »
Harry Potter Disappearing Squares Powerpoint.   You can use this as an end of class filler, or class launcher.  Students guess which character is being revealed as the squares disappear. My Ss enjoy the books/movies, but are low level, scared to speak English names and only identified 4 of 11.

Offline Frozencat99

• The Legend
  • #MoonPrincess
« Reply #212 on: January 03, 2012, 12:21:38 PM »
Some materials.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

Offline boomshackalaka

• Explorer
Re: Harry Potter Bomb Game
« Reply #213 on: January 03, 2012, 01:24:32 PM »
Here is a bomb game for people doing Harry Potter themed winter camps. I took the template from a general review bomb game, sorry can't remember who made that.

Offline Zeegs

• Featured Contributor
  • Super Waygook
Re: Harry Potter English Camp (1week's worth)
« Reply #214 on: January 05, 2012, 10:26:28 AM »
http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,1026.160.html

This should take you to a page in the main Harry Potter Camp section of the boards where I posted a good sorting hat powerpoint.

It's in a zip file, but it actually has the animated hat speaking to the students while it sorts them. Worked great for me because we have a big touch screen TV. The students would go touch the hat and I'd give them a name tag to fill out with their house crest on it.

Offline jamster

• Adventurer
« Reply #215 on: January 06, 2012, 03:21:17 PM »
annekat
Thank you for your help with the HP

Offline Hayley_G

• Explorer
« Reply #216 on: January 07, 2012, 05:04:01 PM »
Here's some things I made for my HP winter camp:

1. Harry Potter camp Intro ppt
2. Color-in House badges ppt
3. Owl post template
4. My magical creature worksheet (not my own)
5. Hogwarts school song
6. Harry Potter House Cup Quiz ppt
7. Chinese paper dragon ppt (We made a dragon to celebrate the New Year).
8. Harry Potter camp lesson plan. (A really good Harry Potter winter camp schedule, not my own but given to me by a fellow English teacher).

I used the same material for 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th grades (about 20 in each class). Just giving more help to the younger grades. Hope you can find something useful!  :)

Offline annekat

• Veteran
« Reply #217 on: January 09, 2012, 12:29:41 PM »
I guess I should post some of my other materials, if you need them. Sorry all my posts in this thread have been random and here and there....

So, almost all my camp stuff can be found on this nice google docs site :)
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzQzgLWBrpNUZTkxMTRlZDgtZDA4YS00ZWIyLTg1YjItMmU2MjlmMmRiMDll

This includes:
lesson plans
ppts (some I made, some I got from this thread, some I edited...)
general plan
the workbook (in .pub and .pdf)
fonts/subtitles/ect...

Enjoy.

Offline bhogj

• Adventurer
« Reply #218 on: January 10, 2012, 11:06:23 AM »
This is one to two classes worth of material, depending on your students. Most students in my winter camp are mid level.

This lesson introduces the spells from Harry Potter, then goes over the English words that the spells come from. For example, engorgio is taken from engorge. There is a PowerPoint introducing the words with their Korean translation. The students should follow along on their worksheets. From there, students fill out a crossword puzzle, then match the spells to the corresponding English word.

The PowerPoint isn't anything sparkly and fun, just the words and answers to the matching sheet. The kids were silent and focused through the whole class. It was very challenging for them, but they seemed interested the whole time.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:38:06 PM by bhogj »

Offline bhogj

• Adventurer
« Reply #219 on: January 11, 2012, 11:40:36 AM »
I haven't seen a Harry Potter bomb game, so I made one to go along with the vocabulary in my spells lesson (see above). There are two slides that have the words "orphan" and "villain" from my Superhero camp last week. Just a heads up to change those if your students aren't familiar or you want to prep them in advance.