November 22, 2017, 08:57:05 PM

Author Topic: Harry Potter Camp  (Read 202154 times)

Offline Athena021

• Newgookin
Re: Harry Potter Camp
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 10:27:10 AM »
Hi cwalton
I think this is an AMAZING idea. Thanks so much for posting this.
I do have a question however. On Day 1, #5 it says "Introduction to Hogwarts (PPT) -
rules
house points

What exactly are the rules and how many points do they get for each class  and/or activity? I couldn't find this on the Day 1 intro PPT.

Thanks so much! :D

Offline mcfadyen

• Explorer
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 10:29:59 AM »
more...

Offline mcfadyen

• Explorer
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 02:53:15 PM »
senses

Offline glb0b

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 03:17:57 PM »
I am having a meeting to discuss camp tomorrow but my plan is to use this idea.

One idea which I had was to use the predictions lesson

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2455.0.html

for a divination class.

And to give points for each correct prediction to see which house is the best at divination.

Offline christine57

• Adventurer
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2010, 02:24:31 PM »
For my potions I'm just going to have them mix various candies, nuts, cereals into yogurt and they love mixing drinks together so I'll have them do that too.

Offline KiddieCAT

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2010, 03:55:47 PM »
Hi all,
  Loved the idea and knew that the original Welcome Letter from McGonagall was lost, so typed up my own in case you needed it.  I don't care if the kids don't like the theme much, I'm excited to do something different for Winter Camp!

enjoy~

Offline KiddieCAT

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2010, 03:57:18 PM »
saved it in a lower version too just in case

Offline saetdal

• Adventurer
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 02:07:33 PM »
I took all the ideas from this post and made a WORKBOOK~!

I didn't use ALL of the ideas and lessons because my school is doing a camp for 2 weeks. My coteacher and I are teaching 2 classes, but she's taking over one class and i'm taking over the other. So I only planned out one lesson for 10 days.

Let me know if there are any errors or something.

p.s. you might need to download the fonts for the file to work... I tried uploading the fonts, but the website doesn't allow that kind of file.

I downloaded the fonts from this website. http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/fonts/a/harry_potter.htm
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 02:40:58 PM by saetdal »

Offline helloana

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 03:02:40 PM »
just so you know page 3 says "how would you guard the philosopher's stone?" may want to change it to sorcerer's.

That is the British title of the book.

Offline danerdman1234

• Adventurer
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 03:15:37 PM »
I took all the ideas from this post and made a WORKBOOK~!

I didn't use ALL of the ideas and lessons because my school is doing a camp for 2 weeks. My coteacher and I are teaching 2 classes, but she's taking over one class and i'm taking over the other. So I only planned out one lesson for 10 days.

Let me know if there are any errors or something.

p.s. you might need to download the fonts for the file to work... I tried uploading the fonts, but the website doesn't allow that kind of file.

I downloaded the fonts from this website. http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/fonts/a/harry_potter.htm

Awesome workbook.  I did change the philosopher part to sorcerer because I have the American titled version of the film.  Whatever version people use, I'd recommend just being consistent throughout the camp.  Cheers again to everyone that has created so much material for this camp.

Offline fake_blood

• Explorer
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2010, 03:31:40 PM »
truly a fantastic idea. I'm doing a winter camp that fits in perfectly with the schedule of your original plan, but thing thing is...my students will be in the middle school level (varying in both grade level and proficiency).

I'm wondering if I will be able to successfully adapt your lesson for my purposes, taking the age range of my students into consideration. What do you guys think?

Offline mcfadyen

• Explorer
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2010, 03:54:42 PM »
quality workbook!

i posted 2 potions in one of the worksheets a while ago - one for blowing bubbles through a ring, and one which will foam and bubble crazily.

the one which foams is a chemical reaction (it looks pretty impressive), releasing carbon dioxide gas - the baking soda neutralises the acid in the vinegar, leaving a solution of sodium acetate in water. if they drink it it will no doubt taste pretty boggin and be quite gassy (burps), but it shouldn't harm them...

i've tried to find other recipes that produce cool effects, but the only other one i found (looks bad-ass but) needs ingredients that aren't easy to find in korea (surprise, surprise haha).

Offline saetdal

• Adventurer
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2010, 09:38:36 PM »
truly a fantastic idea. I'm doing a winter camp that fits in perfectly with the schedule of your original plan, but thing thing is...my students will be in the middle school level (varying in both grade level and proficiency).

I'm wondering if I will be able to successfully adapt your lesson for my purposes, taking the age range of my students into consideration. What do you guys think?

I have kids varying levels. Some of the kids can speak English really well, while others can speak very little English. My coteacher and I divided the students into two classes: Harry Potter & Voldemort (cheesy I know...)  ;D

The Harry Potter kids are low level, so they're not going to do the full blown lectures and activities. I had to adapt it to their abilities... It'll be just a fun camp experience for them basically.

The Voldemort kids are higher level kids, these kids speak English really well. I mean like full blown, well thought out sentences in English... Plus, there's only 10 students in the class, so that helps with making the class a bit harder and more challenging. They're going to go through the powerpoints posted in the original post (the person that started this post) AND I'll talk more about the science process in the potions lesson. I'll probably add more writing portion into the lessons, so the kids can practice and strengthen their English skills.

Offline gailylizabeth

• Explorer
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2010, 11:16:56 PM »

I did the Harry Potter English camp this year and LOVED the dragon and monster work sheets at this site. It worked really well with the vocabulary in HP and activities.

http://bogglesworldesl.com/guidetodragons.htm

The reading comprehension is so FUN! And the words and lessons build on each other so well. I did these in the morning, then games using the same vocab (new, too) and then watched HP.

Offline mlcarn

• Adventurer
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2010, 07:52:25 AM »
I'm doing a variation of this idea for my winter camp and decided that I would sort my students into the 4 houses which would be their teams for the games and activities using this questionnaire worksheet. If there are too many students in one house, you can re-distribute. This is for middle school grade 1, by the way. Also, sorry it's not too good-looking, but all I have to work with on my school computer is an older version of Word, and it's in Korean... :/

Offline Taya

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2010, 01:38:18 PM »
I have to submit the Harry Potter lesson plan to my head teacher today. I'm worried that she won't approve it because there are some new winter camp regulations, apparently. I made sure to include lots of "vocabulary" classes and so on to make it more educational. I hope she approves it!

Offline Wynne

• Explorer
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2010, 02:39:28 PM »
So I have a plan outlined for a 2 week HP camp, but then I was wondering, is HP even interesting to 3-5th grade kids?  Does anyone know?  I can ask them tomorrow too, but just wanted some outside input.  Thanks!

Offline pickle

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2010, 02:44:11 PM »
So I have a plan outlined for a 2 week HP camp, but then I was wondering, is HP even interesting to 3-5th grade kids?  Does anyone know?  I can ask them tomorrow too, but just wanted some outside input.  Thanks!

I've been noticing a lot of 4th and 5th grade boys with Harry Potter glasses lately, so I would assume so.  Probably not every student likes it, but if the activities are fun I'm sure everyone will enjoy it.

Offline danerdman1234

• Adventurer
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2010, 02:46:40 PM »
Most of my kids recognize Harry Potter and when I polled my fifth graders about their favorite actor for a game I was doing with them, one boy said Daniel Radcliffe (the actor that plays Harry Potter).

twitch

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2010, 03:14:58 PM »
Hey....does anyone know where i can get some Mentos for the "potion" that is listed in the workbook?  Or....know of an alternative?

Thanks so much Saetdal for making the workbook...thanks everyone!  Harry Potter camp is gonna rock!