November 22, 2017, 08:57:47 PM

Author Topic: Harry Potter Camp  (Read 202155 times)

Offline ali87

• Explorer
Re: Harry Potter Camp
« Reply #180 on: October 05, 2011, 02:41:03 PM »
Grade 3 Elementary camp materials.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:44:11 PM by ali87 »

Offline ali87

• Explorer
« Reply #181 on: October 05, 2011, 02:50:24 PM »
Grade 4 Elementary lesson materials.

Offline ali87

• Explorer
« Reply #182 on: October 05, 2011, 03:05:11 PM »
Grade 5 Elementary lesson materials.

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #183 on: November 16, 2011, 11:18:22 AM »
I feel like a moocher to nth degree as I try to sell my school on this theme (or any theme since they've never done one) so I am in the process of giving back.

Here is one worksheet I created for my workbook. I am making more. Also you'll need to download the HP font for this to look right.

If anyone needs help doing it on their non-english OS school computer let me know. I figured it out for my self and can tell you how. It's in control panel, and it's a simple drag and drop.

EDIT:I added another sheet for How much is it and also included PDFs so if you don't have the font you can just print it. Also added a weather worksheet.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 08:20:56 PM by weirdgirlinkorea »
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2011, 05:41:12 PM »
Vocab set day 1
I'm doing the shopping for supplies for day 1, so the lesson will focus on money and numbers and objects they are buying.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 08:30:56 PM by weirdgirlinkorea »

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2011, 05:58:58 PM »
Vocab day 2 (or 4 depending on how much time you spend on learning vocab) and vocab day 3.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 09:06:49 PM by weirdgirlinkorea »

Offline kgby143

• Adventurer
« Reply #186 on: November 18, 2011, 01:02:15 PM »
Wow~
I was so worried about wintercamp!
There are so many wonderful materials~!
I had to say Thank you all! I will try to do the same and repay!  :)

Offline amylukken

• Newgookin
« Reply #187 on: November 21, 2011, 09:22:19 AM »
Harry Potter camp is such an excellent idea!  I think I might do it this spring.  I have 4 class periods and I think dividing them into the different classes is a really great idea.  I guess I'll need to start re-reading some books so I can brush up on my HP knowledge before teaching!  Thanks for sharing this.

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #188 on: November 23, 2011, 12:42:59 PM »
Harry Potter game template.

You need the fonts for this to look right.

I added the PDF, but it's blank so you'd have to write in it or paste cutouts on it before laminating. I've included a Key expressions text box. All you have to do is click on the box and fill it in. Rules are on the game.
PM me if you have any questions.
Enjoy!

EDIT: I added a Days of the week game using this template.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 02:17:30 PM by weirdgirlinkorea »

Offline annekat

• Veteran
« Reply #189 on: December 06, 2011, 01:42:07 PM »
No lesson plan here yet.... But I made a few useful things.

First is a list of boys/girls names from the Harry Potter series, in alphabetical order. I didn't include ALL the names, but there are 34 names for each boys/girls.
I figure I'll try to convince my students to adopt a Harry Potter name for the duration of the camp.

Next is a simple name tag template. 4/page. Included are the 4 house badges, in squares that are the same size as the name tags. I'm going to hand them out at the sorting and have the students glue them to the back of their name tag.

Finally (my favourite) is a simple house points chart. I really liked the ppt version available in this thread, but i wanted something to post so it's visible the entire time. I'll either buy coloured stickers to place up the chart or just colour it up with markers. I haven't decided yet.

Hope something can be useful for you. I'm super excited for my Harry Potter camp :) Thanks for all the amazing ideas in this thread, I've picked through most of the stuff and will be using a variety of different ideas from everyone. (I'm teaching middle school) If I come up with something new I'll post it later.
__You can't make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt__
and who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time???

Offline Jayne

• Adventurer
« Reply #190 on: December 12, 2011, 03:38:15 PM »
Hey,

I really wanted to do a Harry Potter themed winter camp (I'm more of an HP nerd than I care to admitt.) But I'm a bit worried about how it might go at my school. I mentioned it to my co-teacher and she was really shocked at the idea. I almost feel like it's too creative or something for them... unfortunate I know. It looks like the NET before me (I'm only the second one) just did completely random topics for each class in the previous camps.

So I have some questions/concerns for everyone who did this camp:

-Is it pricey to put together? My school is horrible at providing funds or materials so I'd be pretty much on my own for extra materials
-How has it gone over with middle schoolers? I think I'll be having just 1st and 2nd graders at this camp since 3rd grade will be moving to highschool soon, but I'm not sure.
-What is the optimal number of students? My school hasn't given me a roster or anything yet, so I have no idea what to prepare for.

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #191 on: December 12, 2011, 04:59:21 PM »
I don't teach MS BUT...I am in your situation where I am only the 2nd NET and the first one did didley (the bare minimum) and for camp materials she relied on the school. I also wanted to do HP (I even created materials) but as it turns out I am teaching the littlest ones so...
but here's my advice...quickly pull together materials and present it to the person who's in charge of English camp and say this is your plan for camp...are there any objections. Be ready to explain why this would be effective in teaching English, especially high grammar points and writing emphasis.

You can do this camp for under 50,000 won (and that's on the high side). All you need is the food ingredients, chopsticks (or if you're good at carving, carve the wands depending on how many students you will teach), and a few other craft materials. Otherwise you just need the ppts, the workbooks, and a lot lamination.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 03:29:23 PM by weirdgirlinkorea »

Offline lgarcia

• Explorer
« Reply #192 on: December 13, 2011, 03:08:45 PM »
Thanks so much for the info. My students will love to do this for a camp.
I can relate the activities to previous learned textbook activities, such as the Goblin Draw to body parts or the Scavenger hunt to the Directions lesson.
And a Hogwarts diploma will be awesome!
Thanks again!!!
I'll post my stuff when I've finished preparing it.

Offline MsSoMak

• Waygookin
« Reply #193 on: December 14, 2011, 01:02:45 PM »
I made this booklet last year, using some of the stuff that people posted and some of my own.
It was great fun.

Offline jakeanz

• Explorer
« Reply #194 on: December 14, 2011, 02:48:19 PM »
I've put together a bit of a scaffolding sheet for a writing task. 

Offline lollinhard

• Explorer
« Reply #195 on: December 16, 2011, 10:16:44 AM »
I made a sheet of house badges that I intend to laminate / "coat" and use for the House Sorting instead of just picking names out of a hat. Here's also the Harry Potter font. I think it will add a really great touch to my camp, especially on the worksheets.

Offline leshotpants

• Adventurer
« Reply #196 on: December 16, 2011, 03:24:46 PM »
Hey,

I really wanted to do a Harry Potter themed winter camp (I'm more of an HP nerd than I care to admitt.) But I'm a bit worried about how it might go at my school. I mentioned it to my co-teacher and she was really shocked at the idea. I almost feel like it's too creative or something for them... unfortunate I know. It looks like the NET before me (I'm only the second one) just did completely random topics for each class in the previous camps.

So I have some questions/concerns for everyone who did this camp:

-Is it pricey to put together? My school is horrible at providing funds or materials so I'd be pretty much on my own for extra materials
-How has it gone over with middle schoolers? I think I'll be having just 1st and 2nd graders at this camp since 3rd grade will be moving to highschool soon, but I'm not sure.
-What is the optimal number of students? My school hasn't given me a roster or anything yet, so I have no idea what to prepare for.

HP camp goes great with middle school 1st and 2nd graders! They love it and they actually get a chance to be creative and show some artistic expression if you do house banners and wands and stuff.

I had 8 students last year for each grade, this year I'll be having 16 -- it's okay, 2 per house or 4 per house.

I had to buy all my own supplies last year, it was okay. Depends how creative you want to get (potion materials? wand supplies? prizes? etc).

Offline Kimchi-Kennamer

• Adventurer
Harry Potter English Camp (1week's worth)
« Reply #197 on: December 19, 2011, 01:26:29 PM »
This upload includes a schedule, lesson plan and a detailed workbook. The material is a combination of a workbook done by a Korean teacher, myself and ideas from blogposts. This camp is designed for 3-4th grade students but can be easily changed to be more challenging. I will post my specific ppts that I will need to make for some of the lessons later. I recommend downloading the "harry potter" font from "dafont.com" in order to see the intended look of both the workbook and ppts. Enjoy!

Offline sass

• Veteran
Re: Harry Potter English Camp (1week's worth)
« Reply #198 on: December 19, 2011, 10:07:31 PM »
Here's the first ten pages of a Harry Potter Camp Workbook I made (borrowed a lot of stuff and can no longer remember where from so please excuse the lack of credit).

We used this workbook for 5 days of camp.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 10:16:11 PM by sass »

Offline sass

• Veteran
Re: Harry Potter English Camp (1week's worth)
« Reply #199 on: December 19, 2011, 10:14:21 PM »
Oh yeah, we used this book for 4th grade students. Every day at the end of class we had them write "Owl Post" about what they learned that day and what they did.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 10:16:55 PM by sass »