November 22, 2017, 08:55:56 PM

Author Topic: Harry Potter Camp  (Read 202153 times)

Offline Hoosier_Jedi

• Expert Waygook
  • I'm a knight of my own republic.
Re: Harry Potter Camp
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2011, 02:28:48 PM »
Here's the welcome letter I'll be using. I tinkered with one that another teacher posted elsewhere in this thread. I'm also including the Korean translation which we'll be giving the students. There are spaces so you can plug in their names to make it more personal. Also, in case it's not clear, the ___ ___ in the translation letter are where your name goes, Western style. I've edited my name out of both things easier for you.

Offline Amy Rodulfo

• Veteran
Pass the Snitch Game Template (Harry Potter ball game)
« Reply #141 on: July 09, 2011, 10:50:05 AM »
Hi, this is a "Pass the snitch" game template. First, make an origami golden snitch (see pdf file or youtube), or if you prefer just use a regular ball. Students stand in a circle and when the music plays (from the ppt) they pass the origami golden snitch or ball. Whoever has it when the music stops must answer the question on screen. Question slides have been left blank so that you may enter your own questions.

I attached two versions. Version one has exactly the same  music for each slide. Version two has the music start at different points.

I've attached the sound files in the next post
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 12:37:48 PM by Amy Rodulfo »

Offline Amy Rodulfo

• Veteran
« Reply #142 on: July 09, 2011, 11:18:16 AM »
sound files for game in previous post

Offline Amy Rodulfo

• Veteran
Harry Potter Lucky Wheel Game
« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2011, 09:46:14 PM »
Here are two Harry Potter themed Lucky Wheel games. Teams take turns answering the questions to spin the wheel and get points. Thanks so much to RufusW for the original game; I've changed the backgrounds and some graphics to Harry Potter style ones.

The first PPT is a ful length game with sixteen questions.
The second PPT has only eight questions incase a quick warmer or short review is needed.

I've also attached a Harry Potter font to save in C - Windows - Program files. This is how to use the font: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/add-new-fonts-to-use-with-office-HA001034730.aspx
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 06:04:31 PM by Amy Rodulfo »

Offline shhowse

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
  • E2 Visa High School, 5 years
« Reply #144 on: July 13, 2011, 06:46:24 AM »
A couple links to some materials in the High School board: http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,16676.0.html and http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2210.0.html.

First is vocab exercises from the first book and second is about making spells (high level).

Offline MomotheHero

• Explorer
« Reply #145 on: July 13, 2011, 08:41:27 AM »
Brilliant! This is going to be great for this summer, especially what with the last movie coming out this week <3

Offline Paju Leigh

• Veteran
« Reply #146 on: July 13, 2011, 02:13:04 PM »
This is a god send! I decided to do this theme for Summer camp and I have got pieces from here and there so a HUGE tahnk you to all you wonderfully smart people out there.
Now I have only done the lesson plans and like 1 PPT at the moment ( I have to do all lesson plans for 2 teachers!!)
So attached are my lesson plans, which are possibly similar to most of the ones already posted.  And for divinination I am doing Tasseography ie.. tea leaf reading.. so I ahve attached the PPT, am still working on a list of interpretations so hang fire a mo if you want those or go ahead and make your own!

Offline Paju Leigh

• Veteran
« Reply #147 on: July 13, 2011, 02:14:14 PM »
and the last one. I am making a workbook, so once it's finished I will post it.

Offline abenet

• Explorer
« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2011, 09:21:22 AM »
Hi guys,

I thought with the last movie installment about to come into theatres, now would be a great time to finally do a 'Harry Potter' themes camp for my school.  I've spent a lot of time collecting resources etc (most from this site).  However, as a long time fan of the series, I thought there was some serious details missing in a lot of the introductory ppts.  I have made a couple ppts that couls be used in the first few days to set the tone and background information for the camp.  I am runing a 15 day camp, so I have a LOT of time and activities prepared.  Here are some of the basics
Please feel free to use them as you see fit.

Offline shhowse

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
  • E2 Visa High School, 5 years
« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2011, 11:59:21 AM »
I'm curious if anyone has successfully turned all of these wonderful resources into a camp for high school students? I've got a 9-day camp for an all girls school this summer, and would love to use the theme of Harry Potter, but most of it seems geared toward elementary kids. There are some materials that I can easily adapt for older kids, but I am wondering if anyone else has tried it.

Offline faublehead

• Newgookin
Harry Potter Logic Puzzles
« Reply #150 on: July 14, 2011, 03:54:24 PM »
Here is a simple logic puzzle I made for elementary school. I am working on a more advanced one, but it still has flaws that I need to fix. In the meantime, here's the simple one.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:16:38 AM by faublehead »

Offline hampsonjeremy

• Explorer
« Reply #151 on: July 15, 2011, 10:31:07 AM »
Yeah, I had problems with the origami as well, thanks for the info.

Offline Hoosier_Jedi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #152 on: July 15, 2011, 11:40:53 AM »
Here's a PPT and a wordsearch I made that can easily be used as a Care of Magical Creature class. The Korean has been checked by my co-teacher.

Offline neelbo1

• Adventurer
« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2011, 02:23:21 PM »
Here is my camp book for Harry Potter.   Thank you everyone for the ideas from this forum.

Offline Sunshinex0o

• Explorer
« Reply #154 on: July 18, 2011, 09:53:09 AM »
For one of my camp days I centered the lesson around Bernie Botts Every Flavor Beans. I went to the an Artbox shop where they sell the generic Jelly Belly's (If you have the budget to get the real Jelly Belly's you can just pick those up at Costco or a Lotte Department Store) and we played 20 questions.

After reviewing flavor descriptions (sweet/salty/sour etc) one student from each team came to the front. They had to eat one of the jelly beans and then their team mates asked questions to try and guess the correct flavor.

Offline ArmoredButterfly

• Veteran
« Reply #155 on: July 18, 2011, 11:48:54 AM »
I wanted a cool way to keep track of the house points, so I made a Harry Potter themed "Race Tracker". It has the crests of Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin on the sides and the House cup is in the center. When you click on a crest, it moves closer to the goal. This great for racing/question answering games. The first to 5 wins!

Offline Hoosier_Jedi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2011, 12:25:45 PM »
Here are some ready-made banners for each house. I've got a plain banner and one with the house name written in Korean (I checked the spelling) and a "Welcome to Hogwarts, Korea" banner that I made myself. You can use these to make "house tables." I also suggest taping the Hogwarts logo banner to the front of your desk. Just to add to the atmosphere.  ;D

Offline kdigital13

• Explorer
« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2011, 08:53:59 PM »
What a fun camp!  My kids might be going to see Harry Potter 7 as our field trip during English camp, and it would be great to incorporate the movie into their learning for the rest of camp

Offline sarsabf5

• Adventurer
« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2011, 08:25:26 PM »
Most of my Harry Potter stuff is taken from this site and from friends, so it's a major collection, but all put together in a way that looks pretty good. There are 4 different classes every day: History of Magic (students read a synopsis of the first 5 books and answer questions); Potions (science experiments); Defense Against the Dark Arts (games/gym class); and Care of Magical Creatures. The book is divided into two parts. In the middle, I used Boggle Esl Cafe's guide to dragons (select pages, so you can add whatever you want). In order to get the full experience of this book and the accompanying presentations, you'll need to download three fonts:

"Dumbledor": http://www.fontspace.com/category/harry%20potter?p=2

"Harry P" AND "Hogwarts Wizard": http://members.outpost10f.com/~lindax/harrypotter/fonts.html

I also have a bunch of supplemental materials, but not enough room to post, so I'll reply again. After I printed the whole thing, I noticed some minor errors in the book, so proof it before you use it.

Offline sarsabf5

• Adventurer
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2011, 08:36:27 PM »
Following up my previous post, here are all the camp's supporting materials: cards for Goblin Draw, an Uno game, with instructions (adapted from this site), go fish cards, and a Guess Who game. I'm also attaching some classroom materials: I printed out poster sized house crests for the kids to decorate. I also printed a poster sized Hogwarts crest and laminated some smaller copies with each house's name, which I glued to the Hogwarts crest, in order to record the houses' numbers.

Here are some other materials:

Origami Dragon Head instructions (the same that go with what's in the book):

Magic Wand printable templates:
http://www.mothergoose.com/Crafts/fairyWand.htm

Harry Potter bookmarks:
http://members.outpost10f.com/~lindax/harrypotter/bookmarks.html